Last 2500 Suburban

lilkia

The strap isnt part of the PPV package. It was put on every BP vehicle because after a while of the vehicle getting the crap beat out of it the hood latches would be misaligned and the hood would fly open.

lilkia

I'm sure it was done by whoever is responsible for removing the lights, sitens, decals, etc. They are supposed to remove any "police" equipment before the vehicles are disposed of.

Not really. The only equipment they have to remove is the light bars, cages in passenger areas, and some radios. The other equipment like skid plates, bumpers and other non police stuff is removed and used on other vehicles.
Ive seen LE vehicles go with non red and blue emergency lights( white strobes and flashers and takes down or alley light), PA systems, and even K9 cages. It all depends on the dept or agencies budget and what they reuse.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Not really. The only equipment they have to remove is the light bars, cages in passenger areas, and some radios. The other equipment like skid plates, bumpers and other non police stuff is removed and used on other vehicles.
Ive seen LE vehicles go with non red and blue emergency lights( white strobes and flashers and takes down or alley light), PA systems, and even K9 cages. It all depends on the dept or agencies budget and what they reuse.
Most of the law enforcement rigs we auction go with all the LE equipment except the 2 way radio and the stripes/decals, in Nevada it is not illegal to have overheads as long as they are not used to impersonate law enforcement, there are plenty of old police and fire vehicles running around in parades and such that are street legal, most of the equipment is outdated or unusable by the time the vehicle is rotated out so it just isn't cost effective to remove it.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Congrats?

Be prepared for every other car to flash their high beams at night. Those damn things are like staring at a welding arc. The new cars and trucks are unbearable when designed with LEDs. Another fad like HID "kits" in incandescent housings.

Both my '91 and my '99 came with H6054 headlights, I replaced them with hella H4 housings then installed 55 watt HID kits, once aimed correctly they are no worse for oncoming traffic than stock but are WAY better, most of the better systems have bulbs that are designed and built to be exact replacement bulbs, years back they weren't so exact but they have improved considerably since

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
LED Headlight bulbs!

I always wanted LED headlight bulbs but could never justify spending more on them than I do on regular replacement bulbs. Even three years ago the least expensive LED bulbs ran $35 shipped per pair. My wife's headlight bulb went out and I didn't have any replacement bulbs in the garage, so I went to eBay and voila, LED headlight bulbs are now affordable. $15 shipped from US, for both high beam 9005 bulbs and H11 low beam bulbs for this truck, all four with CREE LEDs.

TXzrlpX.jpg

That's what $15 shipped gets you these days!

EytYRbX.jpg

Replaced drivers side first and had to do the cliche comparison between the old and new 6000k LED bulbs. Can't wait to try them out at night to see the difference.

The best part of these bulbs will be the lower amp draw and therefore less chance of burning the plugs at the bulb compared to the stock bulbs, pretty common on these year GM trucks, keep an eye on them during your first snow storm to make sure they warm the housings enough to melt the snow and keep from icing up.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
The strap isnt part of the PPV package. It was put on every BP vehicle because after a while of the vehicle getting the crap beat out of it the hood latches would be misaligned and the hood would fly open.

lilkia,

Darn it, I thought it was. Hood latch on these trucks is not the best, nor is it easily replaceable when broken. I busted mine on my 2000 Sub two years ago, and the canoe straps are still holding it well.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Without the correct projector lenses, HID bulbs will not distribute the light correctly. Been there done that.
How long ago? Did you buy the cheapest HID kit available? Which housing? Like I said, they've improved the design and are much better now than just a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Yroundrdn

Observer
Good call on the lights. I don’t think I’ll ever run anything but LED. My LED bulbs just came in yesterday. For another $58 I purchased new lens covers. Amazing how cheap this stuff is these days. It made a huge difference on the Harley look forward to seeing what it does on the burb.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Rear shock travel limiting straps.

MyrGxmp.jpg

Bottom mount of the shock limiting strap. I can't get to the top of the shock mount to see how it attaches. You can see the giant mega jouncers bump stop to he left of the shock.

I also can't get the truck lifted high enough to get a good picture of the skid plate tubular frame, I'll get those when I can get the truck up in the air.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Any idea what kind of shocks those are?

Those giant jounce stoppers look like my sumo springs.

lilkia

Any idea what kind of shocks those are?

Those giant jounce stoppers look like my sumo springs.
The shocks are most likely whatever was the cheapest bidder that met the specs, if they bought in bulk or whatever the local mechanic used depending on the what station it came from. Some are large enough they have their own mechanics some have to use local shops.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Rear shock travel limiting straps.

MyrGxmp.jpg

Bottom mount of the shock limiting strap. I can't get to the top of the shock mount to see how it attaches. You can see the giant mega jouncers bump stop to he left of the shock.

I also can't get the truck lifted high enough to get a good picture of the skid plate tubular frame, I'll get those when I can get the truck up in the air.

Yep, looks like sumo springs and hard to see from that angle but appears to be the tube cage work with the aluminum skids removed...

AutoZealot

Drei,

One inch of up travel before it hits those supplemental springs (yes, they are a bump stop but GM doesn't seem to be really using them in this case) would be a good indication of why the ride quality is terrible on the truck unladen.

My bet is this is the modern version of a factory "add-a-leaf" kit.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Drei,

One inch of up travel before it hits those supplemental springs (yes, they are a bump stop but GM doesn't seem to be really using them in this case) would be a good indication of why the ride quality is terrible on the truck unladen.

My bet is this is the modern version of a factory "add-a-leaf" kit.

AutoZealot,

Sumo jouncers look like they are made of foam just like the factory jouncers but these are bigger. From past experience I found that foam jouncers do not carry the weight of the truck and are useless. Rubber bump stops have been the way to go for me and made a noticeable difference. I also have 2,000# air bags in the back, daily driving at 5psi which is just to keep them from tearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven