Last 2500 Suburban

TNSG

TNSG,

I realized that I can dump it out as soon as I unhooked the filter in my driveway, but it was still a lot of fun to drive around with a wrecking ball hanging off the back of the truck.

Yes, I would have too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
New tires: Milestar Patagonia AT LT285x70R17

After looking at several options and tire choices I finally puled the trigger and ordered a set of Milestar Patagonia AT tires. I am running 33x12.5s right not and they fit perfectly however I was looking for a similar diameter but narrower tire for better traction in the snow this year in New England. LT was a must, M+S rating is a must and I also needed rated E or 10 ply tire. Finally my budget was $150 per tire at the absolute most.

I had really good luck with Patagonia MTs for my 1500 Suburban so I took a chance once again with Milestar's Patagonia AT tire.

d7uGVwh.jpg

FedEx driver was not happy unloading these. Pattern looks pretty good. 285x70r17 or 32.7" tall and 11.2" wide. Simple tire had them for $128.97 shipped with a coupon code I found online. Can't wait to get them mounted this week and get em dirty.

rho

Lost again
I had really good luck with Patagonia MTs for my 1500 Suburban so I took a chance once again with Milestar's Patagonia AT tire.

FedEx driver was not happy unloading these. Pattern looks pretty good. 285x70r17 or 32.7" tall and 11.2" wide. Simple tire had them for $128.97 shipped with a coupon code I found online. Can't wait to get them mounted this week and get em dirty.

I'm really interested in hearing how these wear for you.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Heard anything about if those ATs wear as soft as the MTs do?
I'm really interested in hearing how these wear for you.

southofantarctica and rho,

Everything I read shows that they wear slower than the MTs, they also have a 50,000mile tread warranty which is a good sign for any tire. I really want to see how they compare to my old Nitto Dura Grapplers which were HT not AT but lasted well over 80-100k miles and at more than double the price.

I will keep everyone updated as soon as they are installed with the first impression and drivability as well as a 5k mile update as soon as I get there.

southofantarctica

Brush Dawg
Sounds like a plan. They look sharp and for that price I'd be sore tempted to get some when my current tires wear out. Hope you have good success with them.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Replaced the beyond worn out Patagonia MTs on my other truck and while I had the wheel off I rolled it up to the 2500 Suburban to see how 37s compare to the 33s.

6yqFFdB.jpg

Fronts look pretty good, but holy cow how much trimming, cutting and modifying am I going to have to do to fit these under it if I ever decide to go that route...

Rkf6sR9.jpg

I couldn't get a full side shot because my other truck was in the way, yeah 37's would look really good on this truck with a low lift and a lot of custom work.

Thinking about it more I might be able to get 40's under this truck, with a front SAS in a distant 2-4 years from now future.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Patagonia AT 2,000 mile initial impression.

So I finally got Patagonia ATs mounted last week and had a solid week of racking up some serious miles running up and down the coast. Overall, it does what it supposed to and that's about it. I wanted to find something that it does better than other tires I have used but could not. So it's a solid middle of the road average tire so far, so average that it's almost boring.

MFd8w6E.jpg

2,000 miles so far and I like it, it does what it supposed to and nothing more and nothing less. I only used them on the pavement, inflated to 70psi. Approximately 1,000 miles empty truck with family, groceries, camping gear. Approximately 1,000 miles with a 7,500# trailer in tow, 500lbs in the truck and 1,100# tongue weight with a weight distributing hitch and rear air-bags pumped up to compensate for the 1,500# of added weight on the rear end.

I used Falkem Wildpeak AT 33x12.5s for daily driving and factory 2014ish RAM 2500 rims 275/70R18 or approximately 33"x11" for towing. Patagonia AT tires are loud, much louder than Falkens and my Patagonia MTs on my 1500 Sub. There is a distinctive road hum at speeds over 20mph. It's not annoying, not very distractedly loud but noticeably there. (these are much louder than my Patagonia MTs but about the same sound as BFGoodrich ATs) Next surprise is that these tires provide a very comfortable ride. Inflated to 70psi they ride smoother than the larger and wider Wildpeaks at 35psi, which I still can not figure out how it's possible to have a smoother ride on a smaller diameter and firmer tire. Grip is good, I can throw the truck around very well and no skidding out or squealing unlike the RAM rims or the Falkens.

Rain performance is good, solid and confident, completely within the limits of the truck both empty and with a relatively heavy trailer.

I have not had a chance to take them off road yet, will try to find a fun dirt road with a little bit of mud this week to check out the AT performance.

Looking forward to playing with them in the snow this winter, skinny aggressive treads tend to perform really well. And there are holes for studs if I decide to go that route too.

Overall I am content with Patagonia ATs. They do what they are supposed to and nothing more. Do well for regular driving as well as pulling a loaded trailer. Looking forward to see how they do off-road as well as tread life. The price is really good too.

60beforetruck

Replaced the beyond worn out Patagonia MTs on my other truck and while I had the wheel off I rolled it up to the 2500 Suburban to see how 37s compare to the 33s.

6yqFFdB.jpg

Fronts look pretty good, but holy cow how much trimming, cutting and modifying am I going to have to do to fit these under it if I ever decide to go that route...

Rkf6sR9.jpg

I couldn't get a full side shot because my other truck was in the way, yeah 37's would look really good on this truck with a low lift and a lot of custom work.

Thinking about it more I might be able to get 40's under this truck, with a front SAS in a distant 2-4 years from now future.

I am all for a big tire. It takes alot of room to clear a 40" tire. I ran a 38x14.50 on the street and put a 37" SSR (measured at 35") on when I went to Moab this year. Love my straght axled chevy. I would hang around the 37" size.
Keep the photos coming

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Found a covered bridge!

Have been busy working and playing wit the kids, have not had a chance to get out in the 2500 Suburban, but the other day took a fun little dirt road and found a covered bridge.

A37lhCf.jpg

We were greeted by a couple ATVs that were also enjoying the covered bridge.

f5Bxxiu.jpg

River was moving pretty quick but there was no wind and the reflection came out rather well.

Most of our adventuring this summer has been in my other 1500 Suburban, and after owning both a 1500 and a 2500 Suburban, I can not imagine how anyone would ever want to take a 2500 off the trail or do anything more than paved road only road trips. The suspension on these trucks is unbearably rough and bone jarring.

no-pistons

Adventurer
Correct those are the factory heavy duty bump stops. With the firestone airbag kit the factory bump stops come out and airbags go in their location. AirRide kit which I got and they sit on top of the leafs outside the frame.

I believe those are Sumo Springs bump stops. Many BP vehicles got fitted with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Found a covered bridge!

Have been busy working and playing wit the kids, have not had a chance to get out in the 2500 Suburban, but the other day took a fun little dirt road and found a covered bridge.

A37lhCf.jpg

We were greeted by a couple ATVs that were also enjoying the covered bridge.

f5Bxxiu.jpg

River was moving pretty quick but there was no wind and the reflection came out rather well.

Most of our adventuring this summer has been in my other 1500 Suburban, and after owning both a 1500 and a 2500 Suburban, I can not imagine how anyone would ever want to take a 2500 off the trail or do anything more than paved road only road trips. The suspension on these trucks is unbearably rough and bone jarring.
Rougher ride but considerably stouter components I'd think. I love the styling or the Suburbans and Tahoe's of that period. Nice soft lines.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Rougher ride but considerably stouter components I'd think.

No denying a rough ride, it's so bad that unless I have a trailer hooked up I avoid taking my kids in it, severely unpleasant even on paved roads.

As far as stouter components, well its an interesting armchair philosopher comment. If bigger is always better then everyone should be driving a Stewart Stevenson M1078, but the are not, so bigger is not necessarily better.

Bigger parts on a 2500 are not worth the weight, if you drive like a mad man and break parts on a 1500, you will break the same ones on a 2500, if you drive conservatively, you will be rewarded with longer part life.

I have both a highly modified 1500 Suburban and an unmodified 2500, and if the 1500 was unmodified I would not take either unmodified 1500 or 2500 on the trails that I effortlessly blast through on my 2000 1500 Sub with 37" tires.

Just my 2 cents

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Check under the rear seats really really good before you let your kiddos play around too much. I search everyone really well, however I removed the rear seat in my patrol car to do a really deep cleaning after a drunk Pissed in the back seat. I found an uncapped syringe under the backseat... and it was there for awhile.

I know how patrol vehicles are treated and what happens in them, I’ll never own a used one.

It's fun looking back at the past comments like this one. After driving an ambulance for 10 years I know how to decon pretty darn good, and after driving this truck for 6 months, I can reassure you that all my toddlers manage to get the truck dirtier every two weeks than everyone trying to jump the border over last 5 years that made contact with this truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner