Last 2500 Suburban

wirenut

Adventurer
I keep seeing this 10,000 pound trailer thrown around. Does you sub really have that high of a tow rating? My 2009 2500 Sub is only rated 9,300 I think; it would be 9,600 if it were 2wd. I sure wish it was higher but the stupid bumper integrated factory hitch can't be upgraded.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I keep seeing this 10,000 pound trailer thrown around. Does you sub really have that high of a tow rating? My 2009 2500 Sub is only rated 9,300 I think; it would be 9,600 if it were 2wd. I sure wish it was higher but the stupid bumper integrated factory hitch can't be upgraded.

Wirenut,

You are correct or trucks are rated to 9,300 lbs for 4wd and 9,600 for rear wheel drive models. That is what comes off the assembly line to tow safely withing all legal limits. Some people do actually tow more 10-12,000 lbs. Not legal but possible to do it safely. Load leveling hitch, air bags, brakes on all trailer axles, brake controller, common sense.

10,000 lb is more of a pissing contest, we all round up the towing rating and actual towing weight up to feel good about ourselves.

Only GMT800 Suburban 2500 Rear wheel drive, 6.0, 4.10 gears is rated to tow 10,500 and GMT800 Suburban 2500, rear wheel drive, 8.1, 4.10 gears is rated to tow 12,000 from the factory. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong with a picture of their CGVWR and RPO codes.

wirenut

Adventurer
Thanks,
I'm wondering mostly about the hitch. I have no problem towing over the tow rating; I do it all the time with my '05 dually. But, it has an aftermarket hitch. Do you know if there's a way to upgrade the low rated factory hitch on the GMT900 Sub? Is there a hitch that would just mount to the frame under the factory one?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thanks,
I'm wondering mostly about the hitch. I have no problem towing over the tow rating; I do it all the time with my '05 dually. But, it has an aftermarket hitch. Do you know if there's a way to upgrade the low rated factory hitch on the GMT900 Sub? Is there a hitch that would just mount to the frame under the factory one?

Wirenut,

Sorry I do not know of any bolt ons, but I am sure you can get one fabricated to bolt on or weld into the factory bumper hitch spot. But that will not be cheap.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Lilkia nice truck and let’s get to the mods. I have a 96 cop model k2500 burb . Sorry you got a nut after you who thinks he knows what you should be doin. What’s our next mod?

Headhunter11,

Lol, thanx for the encouragement. Anyway, I don't plan on towing the big trailer again for a couple weeks, so I took the RAM rims off and went back to the black ones. Had them of for a couple days and all of a sudden the truck started pulling to the side like crazy, one tire was nearly flat.

Drove it home, aired it up to 45psi and thought that that was it. Couple days later the truck started pulling to the side again and same tire is low on air. My 4 year old figured out how to deflate the tires on his bike so I assumed that he deflated them, I aired them back up. It rained the next day, kids stayed inside, and following day we went exploring in my other truck. When we returned I checked the tire and it was nearly flat again, so it wasn't the kids.

RAM wheels have tires with limited tread left, don't particularly want to drive around on them, would have to replace them in 1-2 more cross country trips. So now I am looking for inexpensive LT, E-rated, M+S rated tires around 33x12.5" for a 17" rim tires.

To be continued...

Explorerinil

Observer
Todd n Natalie,

I like the Duratracs also however they are more than double of my tire budget. Right now I am looking for a set of Milestar Patagonia AT at around $110 perr tire shipped which is what I will most likely be getting next week.
Save your money for some good seafood out there! Maine is on my bucket list!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Hitch mounted crane...

I have a sand filter in the back yard that is left over from the demolished above ground pool. It's too big and heavy to manually push up a hill to the driveway and I don't want to pull it and destroy the grass. I start looking online for a hitch mounted crane and find MaxxHaul 70238 for $204.75 shipped on Amazon, but I don;t want to wait the two days for it to arrive, wanted to get this project done today. Figured I can find a cherry picker or engine hoist on craigslist, yeah, don't judge me, I don't have one yet. Found one for $20, that did not have the hydraulic ram and was an hour and change away. I would have to figure out how to attach it to the truck and rig it to work.

I was about to head out to pick it up when I remembered that I have an Ultimate MX hauler in the garage. Not to get too deep into it but it's the absolute best hitch mounted dirt bike carrier ever made.

gjfzTcW.jpg

So I run out to the trucks and measure the height of the hitch of the 2000 Suburban and this 2011. Go figure the bumper integrated hitch sits higher in the 2011 Suburban 2500 by 2".

xl0uqug.jpg

I use my dual receiver adapter to add some more height. Pump up the airbags to 75psi and hook up the MX hauler.

HYsZk48.jpg

Have plenty of room to lift the filter.

QMZqjpD.jpg

Couple canoe straps later, couple pumps on the jack and we are up-up-and -away!

gGKpDNX.jpg

I drove around my yard with this wrecking ball, playing the wrecking ball song as loud as I could, no one heard me. Pretty cool setup for an emergency red-neck hitch mounted crane that worked.

snPMtiv.jpg

I do want to have something like this on my my 2000 Suburban once I get the winch installed, for both off road shenanigans and cleaning junk off my property and moving big rocks similar to this one around the yard.

TNSG

Hitch mounted crane...

I have a sand filter in the back yard that is left over from the demolished above ground pool. It's too big and heavy to manually push up a hill to the driveway and I don't want to pull it and destroy the grass. I start looking online for a hitch mounted crane and find MaxxHaul 70238 for $204.75 shipped on Amazon, but I don;t want to wait the two days for it to arrive, wanted to get this project done today. Figured I can find a cherry picker or engine hoist on craigslist, yeah, don't judge me, I don't have one yet. Found one for $20, that did not have the hydraulic ram and was an hour and change away. I would have to figure out how to attach it to the truck and rig it to work.

I was about to head out to pick it up when I remembered that I have an Ultimate MX hauler in the garage. Not to get too deep into it but it's the absolute best hitch mounted dirt bike carrier ever made.

gjfzTcW.jpg

So I run out to the trucks and measure the height of the hitch of the 2000 Suburban and this 2011. Go figure the bumper integrated hitch sits higher in the 2011 Suburban 2500 by 2".

xl0uqug.jpg

I use my dual receiver adapter to add some more height. Pump up the airbags to 75psi and hook up the MX hauler.

HYsZk48.jpg

Have plenty of room to lift the filter.

QMZqjpD.jpg

Couple canoe straps later, couple pumps on the jack and we are up-up-and -away!

gGKpDNX.jpg

I drove around my yard with this wrecking ball, playing the wrecking ball song as loud as I could, no one heard me. Pretty cool setup for an emergency red-neck hitch mounted crane that worked.

snPMtiv.jpg

I do want to have something like this on my my 2000 Suburban once I get the winch installed, for both off road shenanigans and cleaning junk off my property and moving big rocks similar to this one around the yard.

Dude, just dump the damn sand out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Yet Im the funny one.
Not so much funny as douchee... or obtuse... or a whole lot of things the MODS would ********** me out for posting, don't know why you have to get into drei's thread and complain or argue with his thoughts and what he decides is correct for him and his, if you don't agree with him post your opinion then leave it at that, no need to be that ************ canoe that needs to convince him that he is wrong, he's out there doing ******** and seeing things the way he wants to and enjoying life even if it isn't the way you would!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Dude, just dump the damn sand out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNSG,

I realized that I can dump it out as soon as I unhooked the filter in my driveway, but it was still a lot of fun to drive around with a wrecking ball hanging off the back of the truck.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Not so much funny as douchee... or obtuse... or a whole lot of things the MODS would ********** me out for posting, don't know why you have to get into drei's thread and complain or argue with his thoughts and what he decides is correct for him and his, if you don't agree with him post your opinion then leave it at that, no need to be that ************ canoe that needs to convince him that he is wrong, he's out there doing **** and seeing things the way he wants to and enjoying life even if it isn't the way you would!

NevadaLover,

Well said, thank you. My only guess is that many people here are just watching, and dreaming of the adventures others are having. There are many more people out there building their dream rig while never leaving the comforts of their house while others just drive what they are and enjoy the adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven