Last 2500 Suburban

Overlandtowater

It's fun looking back at the past comments like this one. After driving an ambulance for 10 years I know how to decon pretty darn good, and after driving this truck for 6 months, I can reassure you that all my toddlers manage to get the truck dirtier every two weeks than everyone trying to jump the border over last 5 years that made contact with this truck.
your just trying to stir the pot again...LOL

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Has anyone done a body lift on a GMT900 2500 Suburban or Silverado? Will the 1500 kit fit?

I am really itching to do something to the truck so I can get bigger tires under it.

I want to keep the bumpers in the same location in relation and would prefer not to make the bumper relocation brackets myself.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
How do those Tahoe’s perform and stand up to that kind of use?
As far as I remember, the only changes they get is a skid plate in front and cut bumper and I think shocks. Or are they more modified than that for fast desert patrol?

A friend of mine has an ex-bp '05. It has full under skids (tubular, with aluminum plates attached), tubular engine compartment cage (firewall to front frame rails and core support), hd torsion bars, front limit straps, hd rear springs. Maybe more but that's the obvious stuff. Also spec'ed with 4.10's. Nice truck.

His interior was fully "de-mil'ed" when he got it. All the wiring, lights, etc were removed and the civvy console was replaced. The aluminum skids were removed but tubular structures were left in place. Limit straps were cut.

I have seen the GMT 900's with the bumper cut and they have the same tubular/aluminum skids. I would imagine they also get the limit straps, heavier springs, etc. A shop called "Baja Fabrication" in SoCal does the skids for the BP and other gov't agencies AFAIK...

fl0w3n

Observer
A friend of mine has an ex-bp '05. It has full under skids (tubular, with aluminum plates attached), tubular engine compartment cage (firewall to front frame rails and core support), hd torsion bars, front limit straps, hd rear springs. Maybe more but that's the obvious stuff. Also spec'ed with 4.10's. Nice truck.

His interior was fully "de-mil'ed" when he got it. All the wiring, lights, etc were removed and the civvy console was replaced. The aluminum skids were removed but tubular structures were left in place. Limit straps were cut.

I have seen the GMT 900's with the bumper cut and they have the same tubular/aluminum skids. I would imagine they also get the limit straps, heavier springs, etc. A shop called "Baja Fabrication" in SoCal does the skids for the BP and other gov't agencies AFAIK...

oh wow, that’s way more than I was expecting. That’s pretty awesome.

I wonder why they remove the skid plate and limit straps though?

gatorgrizz27

Nice build. I strongly considered one of these trucks for the towing ability, there aren’t many down here in the southeast though.

Off road ride quality was a big concern also, I’d thought a coilover conversion would be ideal, but couldn’t find anything at the time. I stumbled across this kit today, combined with some Deaver springs out back and longer travel airbags, I’d bet you could get a great ride and keep the towing/hauling ability. It says it only fits up to 2010 3/4t Suburban’s, but from my research, they didn’t get the frame updates the trucks did in 2011, so I think it :should: fit.

lilkia

Very very few of BPs vehicles have all that extra kit. Those vehicles were for special units, very specific areas based on need or terrain or they were the initial ones fitted up by gov vendors trying to get the gov to buy them. Most of the aftermarket goodies disappeared after the initial purchases as the bean counters decided that stuff wasnt needed.
Some of tahoes and suburbans used by BP are GMs Police Pursuit vehicles spec'd for BPs needs. The vast majority are a regular hoe/burbs (with some PPV goodies) with a leveling kit, bumper mods or replacement, grill guard (some), some have a tower brace. Some have a large belly skid undert the engine and trans but Ive never seen front to back skid plates or an engine cage.
Nitro Id like to see pics of your buddies truck if you can. I dont doubt you Id just like too see how the skid supports mount, and for nostalgic reasons.

Last edited:

lilkia

Nice build. I strongly considered one of these trucks for the towing ability, there aren’t many down here in the southeast though.

Off road ride quality was a big concern also, I’d thought a coilover conversion would be ideal, but couldn’t find anything at the time. I stumbled across this kit today, combined with some Deaver springs out back and longer travel airbags, I’d bet you could get a great ride and keep the towing/hauling ability. It says it only fits up to 2010 3/4t Suburban’s, but from my research, they didn’t get the frame updates the trucks did in 2011, so I think it :should: fit.

The gmt800 2500 burb chassis remained unchanged up till the last 2500 was made in 2014. You are correct that it didnt get the truck changes in 2011.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey

I still have the full or more like 3/4 length tubular frame for skid plates and limit straps are still there and the extra hood latch safety strap.

Some have a large belly skid undert the engine and trans but Ive never seen front to back skid plates or an engine cage.

Still have the full tubular cage for the skid plates front, engine, tranny, transfer case. No engine cage. No tower brace. Still have the wiring for lightbar and controls, the control end was cut but the extra accessory wiring is part of the factory harness loom.

I'll try to get the truck up in the air and get some pictures of the underside. Looks like I might have a rare find tha was not just a plain hoe/sub witha level kit and new bumper.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey

gatorgrizz27,

Towing capacity was the critical in the decision to purchase this 2500 Suburban, I did not want a pickup because it simply does not have enough room for my family and a powerstroke Excursion costs twice as much with double the miles and its 10 years older, a very poor financial investment in my case.

I pull a 24ft enclosed trailer up and down the east coast almost weekly, only issue I've run into is that the tranny gets hot, so I will be putting in a larger transmission cooler in the spring. And possibly 4.10 gears. Trailer is 3,500 lbs empty, 8-9,000 lbs loaded.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey

I can not believe that i missed this BDS coilover lift kit, wow. If my wife gives me a green light to turn this 2500 Sub into our adventure vehicle I will be getting this kit despite it costing 1/2 of what I paid for the truck and my dislike for diferential drop kits. Thank you!

fl0w3n

Observer
I can not believe that i missed this BDS coilover lift kit, wow. If my wife gives me a green light to turn this 2500 Sub into our adventure vehicle I will be getting this kit despite it costing 1/2 of what I paid for the truck and my dislike for diferential drop kits. Thank you!
Offroad Design has been testing the BDS kit on one of their trucks to see if it’s something they can take on Ultimate Adventure. They’ve had good feedback, other than weak CV shafts on some of the extreme trails.

I had a 4.5” Cognito kit on my Duramax, with lowering keys, and a deaver mini-pack in the rear with the 1/4” blocks removed, on 35”s and the truck sat lower than a stock 2011+ F250 and hardly an inch above a stock Duramax.
That thing with all the steering upgrades rode so damn well.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Very very few of BPs vehicles have all that extra kit. Those vehicles were for special units, very specific areas based on need or terrain or they were the initial ones fitted up by gov vendors trying to get the gov to buy them. Most of the aftermarket goodies disappeared after the initial purchases as the bean counters decided that stuff wasnt needed.
Some of tahoes and suburbans used by BP are GMs Police Pursuit vehicles spec'd for BPs needs. The vast majority are a regular hoe/burbs (with some PPV goodies) with a leveling kit, bumper mods or replacement, grill guard (some), some have a tower brace. Some have a large belly skid undert the engine and trans but Ive never seen front to back skid plates or an engine cage.
Nitro Id like to see pics of your buddies truck if you can. I dont doubt you Id just like too see how the skid supports mount, and for nostalgic reasons.

I'll have to try to get some pics the next time we have it on the rack. I've been meaning to get some for my own personal records. I want to duplicate that kit on my own Tahoe!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
oh wow, that’s way more than I was expecting. That’s pretty awesome.

I'm sure it was done by whoever is responsible for removing the lights, sitens, decals, etc. They are supposed to remove any "police" equipment before the vehicles are disposed of.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
LED Headlight bulbs!

I always wanted LED headlight bulbs but could never justify spending more on them than I do on regular replacement bulbs. Even three years ago the least expensive LED bulbs ran $35 shipped per pair. My wife's headlight bulb went out and I didn't have any replacement bulbs in the garage, so I went to eBay and voila, LED headlight bulbs are now affordable. $15 shipped from US, for both high beam 9005 bulbs and H11 low beam bulbs for this truck, all four with CREE LEDs.

TXzrlpX.jpg

That's what $15 shipped gets you these days!

EytYRbX.jpg

Replaced drivers side first and had to do the cliche comparison between the old and new 6000k LED bulbs. Can't wait to try them out at night to see the difference. Also very interested in the longevity of these.

K978jPV.jpg

Hood safety strap, part of the Border Patrol's PPV package. I'll get a picture of rear limit straps and skid plate tubular skeleton one of these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven