Let me see your "expedition" F250!

Revco

Adventurer
Unless you plan on driving that thing cross country or something, I'd put the 460 in. Dirt cheap to find and rebuild. I still service tons of equipment with NG or LPG 460's. Parts are plentiful. Frankensteining a 4x4 F350 (solid axle) chassis form a rotten truck of the same era would be the route I would go.

Any 460 would be more fun off road as well.

I hear ya.

I've been looking for a reg cab F350 to swap my body parts over to. They are scarce right now. Most are either too nice and pricey to butcher, or they are crew cabs/ex cabs. Right now I'm looking at an '88 F350 reg cab 4x4 with the EFI 460. It's in my budget, and looks to be a nice solid truck that I can use as my daily driver while I prep the '83 sheetmetal for installation on the '88 chassis. It would save me a ton of work and probably be cheaper in the end to go that route. The build can be done in months as opposed to years. I can't afford two big block vehicles on the road, so I'd have to sell the Suburban... Luckily my little brother told me to let him know when I'm going to sell it because he wants it. It would better suit him as he has 4 kids, and I have none. I really only bought it to pull my car trailer and I'm not attached to it. Hell, I haven't even vacuumed it out since I bought it in December!

So I guess if it all goes through I'll have to change my user name :costumed-smiley-007

In any case, the last ghetto-shop drawing I did is how I plan to build the truck, hopefully I can stick with that plan and it all works out.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If old Fords are anything like new Fords, you could pick up a CC or EC and just use your existing frame. 2wd and 4wd frames are often the same.

It's just a ton more labor swapping all the parts.

We had an '86 F250 with a 460. It was a ton of fun. Never had a problem with it except for the exploding distributor and exploding stock Uniroyal tires (ick).

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
wow didnt realize i didnt post these pics before! these are pre-stacks, and before the leveling kit! but the way i have this setup, i dont have to worry about the stacks, and the tent.

gregg1jpg.jpg

gregg2.jpg

gregg3.jpg

here is my wife posing, she was just goofing around, having fun! these are with the leveling kit and stacks (obviously)
DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

and the kids
DSC_0299.jpg

Revco

Adventurer
Thats a great looking truck. You don't see many Supercab Longbeds these days. IMHO, it's the best proportioned body style of the '99+ Superdutys.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
oh i love this truck, at times i wish i had a crew cab, but it does the job.

extended cab short bed super duties are no bueno in my book.. just looks to short..

darien

Observer
Many thanks...I am surprised. But then it probably comes from the same Indonesian factory that makes North Face. :sombrero:

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
probably. i talked to them on the phone before buying they said it was made by the same manufacturing company that makes the Napier "Sportz TruckTents"

NothingClever

Explorer
extended cab short bed super duties are no bueno in my book.. just looks to short..

Might look short but I wish I could have the short bed's wheelbase and turning radius....big upshot, IMO.

Anyways, it doesn't matter for me since I think I'm going to be picking up a SC long bed just like yours.

We'll see how I make out...lining up a fly-n-drive is always a little dicey.

Humvette

Adventurer
Good thread, but we need to keep the pics rolling ;0 ...

has anyone tried 37's with a 2.5" leveling kit?

I am from the Hummer world and would like to run some recentered wheels :) and MT's. I can get the tires for $100 each!!! That is just soo cheap. Yes some of them are out of round, but if you know where and how to buy them they can be a great deal :)

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
i know mine is different since i have leaf springs up front, BUT we max out at 35's (its what i got) and i still rub on full lock turns. and valences need to be trimmed, but since i removed mine i dont have to worry about it.

DSC_0914.jpg

911regular

Adventurer
115.jpg

I am in the process of building mine. I cant seem to get motivated on my few days off right now to finish it...

Still have to take off the front and rear track bar, clearance the mounts, drill 8 more holes (pain in the butt), redo the rear pads and rear hard lines front stainless lines, bleed the brakes... tighten everything up, check the angle of the rear drive shaft, alignment, redo the exhaust, mount front bumper, steering dampner, fuel tank armor, rewire the shell, run new air lines to the air compressor...

From this pic and the time I saw it,,,you got a lot done,,,,you installed the taillight and,,,er,,ummmm,,,,

fifty

Adventurer
Hey now, see that piece of wood under the truck? I moved that. And I installed some beer in my stomach.... Uhhhh ummm. I know there was something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad