Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

Tiki

Observer

Picked up my topper last weekend, ARE with toolbox sides. Now time for modifications.

Question to everyone, was thinking about mounting a shovel and axe on one side of the topper and traction plates onto the other side. Lockable mounts of course. Or do I just mount them on the inside of the topper. Thoughts?

Hey I use to work there :coffeedrink: I would pry go on top.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
[

Picked up my topper last weekend, ARE with toolbox sides. Now time for modifications.

Question to everyone, was thinking about mounting a shovel and axe on one side of the topper and traction plates onto the other side. Lockable mounts of course. Or do I just mount them on the inside of the topper. Thoughts?

This is going to sound crazy: Is there room under the truck. I have room on my right side frame to mount a shovel with a slightly shortened handle. And I think a set of Maxtracks could be a good gas tank skid plate (as long as you don't get stuck ON them, LOL).
-
It's funny seeing the tire shop techs rotate my tires and "Dude, there's a shovel and axe under here!"

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
This is going to sound crazy: Is there room under the truck. I have room on my right side frame to mount a shovel with a slightly shortened handle. And I think a set of Maxtracks could be a good gas tank skid plate (as long as you don't get stuck ON them, LOL).
-
It's funny seeing the tire shop techs rotate my tires and "Dude, there's a shovel and axe under here!"

They put the pioneer tools under the rear of the Humvees. Not a good location. I went as far as put my air compressor and tank in the bed of the truck, to keep it out of the weather, mud, and water. If I carried two, I wouldn't mind one under, but not my only one. Right now all my crap rides in the bed, once I get her done and ready to travel, tools will be mounted outside for easy access. I am blessed with living in a small rural town, so I don't worry about theft much. I think that's a big concern with many folks.

StrykerX

Great Lakes Xterras
Thanks for all the ideas! I wanted to mount them outside, easy access, and keeps dirt out of the bed area which some of you stated. That got me looking at Quasimoto's Dodge with the ladder rack over the topper, which sparked an idea. My ARE topper has the Yakima rails built in, I could use those. Make custom mounting brackets that bolt to the rails and make low profile roof rack that will cover the topper and extend over the cab. I will spare my topper and cab from drilling holes. I can mount the shovel and ax up there along with lights.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Added a couple of cleats and a removable board to hold some spare fuel in place. Also added a fire extinguisher in the back, matching the one in the cab... you never know.

trailscape

Explorer
Third revision of my setup. Reinforced everything and built additional storage under the actionpackers. Just added the curtains and trying out a cot to see if I like it. Still need a bit more organization.

IMG_20131125_160837.jpgIMG_20131125_160916.jpg

Adjustable solar panel
SAM_0016B.jpgIMGP1717.jpg

Last edited:

southpier

Expedition Leader
anybody boot their cap to the cab for either storage or access?

never could figure out how to make one of these so it would be weather- tight.

colodak

Adventurer
So here's mine, it's going to be redone in the neat future as it takes up just too much space

hi lift is mounted on the other side

colodak

Adventurer
anybody boot their cap to the cab for either storage or access?

never could figure out how to make one of these so it would be weather- tight.

I have the slider winder on both my pickup and topper, I bought a boot that pops in between the two, it more or less creates a weather tight seal. The down side, friction created from the difference in flex between the cab and bed eventually wore holes in it. Definitely had to remove it in the winter or I would freeze to death as my heater couldn't warm both up.

Seabass

Idiot
Here's a couple. The first is my dodge while camping at lake Barkley. The others are my old crew long ford work truck.
u6abahyg.jpg
7y4y6u9u.jpg
abuse2yb.jpg

asolitarywolf

Awesome design! Thanks! This is almost identical to my in-progress plans. I think I will be adding another box at the headboard between the two you have in order to house battery and inverter. Thanks again for the pics! I have seen so many layouts that were 'almost' what I wanted but this is really great. I like that the right box is taller so you can use it as a desk etc. Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TrvlnWest

Just back from southern Nevada

Here are some pics my camper shell with the awning and tent I just got finished. There were high wind warnings the week I was in the Mormon Mountains and it held up pretty well.

I've been following this thread for quite a while and have gotten some really good ideas here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg