Lexus GX470 Expedition build

sethro80

Adventurer
I love the design, If you end up making them I would take a set also, Lexy needs these. I too am trying to figure out long travel for mine.

Seth

DSC_6938_zps374f2b01.jpg

DSC_6937_zpsda4bdd10.jpg

Im trying to keep myself out of the garage for a while. I have some ideas on mods for the truck that I need to get down on paper. And I want to make sure I think them thru before I start cutting in the car.

I will try and keep you folks updated with any sketches that come out of my head. And I will try to make sketches or 3D models out of everything so I know how to move on.

As I have written in the first post of this thread I would like to put a long travel kit on the truck. Pre-built = Bought or custom/home made. Anyhow, I figured I would get the chance to use my old skills with fiberglass if I do this. So I started sketching on front fenders that are wider to cover for the new stance. And more room for travel and bigger wheels. I might even fit 35s. Should be fine putting 35s on if I will drop the diffs for lockers I might as well put in new 4.88 Nitro Gears in it.

Any thoughts on the design?

ScreenShot2013-11-10at52119PM_zps9b0403f5.png

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Im glad to here that my write up was of help! Nice build you have there!

I think I need to chop of the front of the hood to get this done. Might be worth doing. We will see. First I need to focus on the rear bumper and swing out. And rear storage. I'll have a look at your swing out to see if I can get some ideas :)

//Marten

IMG_0375(1).jpg
Let me know if there is anything I can help with. It'd be my pleasure.
`
Cheers

DNGRZN

Have you seen the rear bumper from southern style speed? They charge far too much in my opinion for that bumper, but the design looks nice. Metal Tech 4x4 is rumored to have one in the works for the distant future, but at a lower projected cost. Obviously won't know till it's out, but their design links to the tailgate swing away like their fj cruiser rear bumper.

http://southernstylespeed.com/full-steel-plate-bumper-tire-carrier-rear.html

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

GX470_Prado

Observer
Great build...

Is your GX rear still setting on AIR... or have you converted it?

My GX is still totally stock and one of the first things I want to do is make look a little more "level". I was thinking of OME upfront then using the airbags to level it out.

I really not too interested in replacing the air but a few guys around town keep pushing me that direction.

boo471

Adventurer
Great build...

Is your GX rear still setting on AIR... or have you converted it?

My GX is still totally stock and one of the first things I want to do is make look a little more "level". I was thinking of OME upfront then using the airbags to level it out.

I really not too interested in replacing the air but a few guys around town keep pushing me that direction.

Yes I am still on AIR. Works fine. Its a little stiffer then I like but no biggie, just throw some stuff in the trunk and your set!

//Marten

BonnerBB

I found that with 28lbs of air pressure in the tires it rode like a Cadillac. I had airbags too. My tires wore even. Removing the airbags and putting in springs causes you to lose ride height adjustability and auto-leveling for heavy loads or trailers. I don't understand why people downgrade by springing it.

Last edited:

GX470_Prado

Observer
Boo/Bonner,

So did you guys upgrade the front suspension?
What were the part numbers and did you run into any "issues" uprgrading them?

The first thing I want to do is add a few inches to the front... As the truck is "new to me" I don't know if has always sat this way or if it is just "sag" over time but I think it could use about 3" of lift upfront...

zachjansen18

Ipad Sketches

Im going to spend some time on the driveway this weekend and look over the car on what needs to be done in the near future. I also spent some time yesterday sketching on some design changes for the front bumper to give it some flavor. Any thoughts? My only problem will be to be able to open the hood if going down this route. Which is kind of a big one...

I'll keep you posted on upcoming fabrication plans.

de8ybu3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey what app are you using for all these sketches? Im a huge fan of the GX and looking to get one. Little tight on money so ill for sure need to be creative like you have been with this build. Figured that app might come in helpful.

boo471

Adventurer
Scuba steve is now up for sale!

I just posted this in the sales section.

2004 Lexus GX470
4.7L V8
5-Speed Automatic Transmission
Center Diff Lock
146k Miles
VIN: JTJBT20XX40054143

Exterior modifications:
Custom Front Bumper with winch plate and 2x antenna mounts
Custom rock sliders
Custom roof rack
5 piece BudBuilt Skids
LED Light Bar on roof rack
2*9" HIDs on front bumper
LED Side Off road lights on roof rack.
LED Reverse lights on roof rack.
Snorkel Ironman4x4
2.5" OME Lift
Old Man Emu Springs
1.5” body lift with heavy duty hard ware
Level 8 Guardian 17” wheels (x5)
285/70/17 Hankook DynaPro MT tires (x5)

Interior modifications:
1,5” RAM mount on dash with holder for iPad and iPhone
400W Inverter
Custom fridge bracket to mount in rear seat (Made for Dometic CF-40 but should fit others) with strap down system
Rear door LED Interior Lighting
Cobra CB Radio
Rocker switch panel for extra lights and accessories
CD changer removed and mounted a phone control box instead with a Bluetooth module.
Rear storage that will include some off road and camping.

Additional modifications:
Upgraded starter battery to Optima Yellowtop
Custom AUX battery bracket with a DieHard Platinum Marine battery
Dual battery Relay (BlueSea) with override switch in cab.
Custom Bracket for relays/fuses and power distribution for all extras from AUX battery
Custom Flow Master Super 40 Cat back system
Washer fluid reservoir relocate to engine bay (FJ cruiser reservoir used)

Pretty much all the original parts are kept and included i.e. stock wheels on almost new 265/65/17 Firestone Destination tires (x5), front bumper, roof rails, side steps, 3rd row of seats and all the hard ware.

All previous maintenance has been performed on time, including timing belt and water pump. New brake rotors/pads (front/rear), new front calipers, new front left wheel bearing, new front left complete CV axle assembly (old one rebuilt and kept as spare), diff fluids changed. I have made sure this vehicle has always been well maintained and prepared for a trip.

This truck runs and drives very solid. It has zero issues, has been extremely reliable and performs immaculately. Cosmetically there are some minor custom pin striping on from brush/twigs.
Clean Title in hand. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.

Please visit the build thread for a lot more information and pictures:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116238-Lexus-GX470-Expedition-build

I am asking $18,500 OBO on this vehicle.

Thank you for your time and interest. Can drive/deliver within reason, with deposit.

DNGRZN

Boo471, wow! I never thought to see your ride for sale! You worked so hard on it. Yours is the inspiration for my build. May I ask why you decided to part with it? New project? I wish I had the funds to buy it. I hope all is well!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
For sale already ? Seems like you just built it. Does it have 3rd row seating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal