Lexus GX470 Expedition build

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Really great build and pictures from the last trip, what ipad app are you using to show those tracks? Thanks!

boo471

Adventurer
Really great build and pictures from the last trip, what ipad app are you using to show those tracks? Thanks!

Thanks. The snap shot is from Gaia GPS. I have been testing both Gaia and Motion X and have decided that I like Gaia better. Its quicker and easier to navigate but might not have a user interface that is as cool as motion X but thats kind of secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
The video doesn't do it justice....or maybe she's that good of a driver. :)

The trip was a lot of fun. The rainy, cold and soggy conditions made it even better.

Thanks for posting the pics up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Darklight777

Looks like yet another fun adventure! Thanks for te pic's and congratulations to you and your family for the baby on the way!

Bobby

boo471

Adventurer
Seeing all of the exploring that you and your wife do gets the exploring bug moving. Can't wait to travel around the east coast and I am sure while I am in Georgia I will have plenty of beach trips planned especially since the wife loves the beach.

Just throw the wife in the trunk and go!

boo471

Adventurer
Looks like yet another fun adventure! Thanks for te pic's and congratulations to you and your family for the baby on the way!

Bobby

Thanks you sir. I'll keep you updated on the next outing to see if you would like to come along.

Love a woman that can drive.

How do you like those Hankooks? I was considering them for my next set.

Yeah, just sucks that she seems to have better car control then I do :)

The Hankooks are heavy and pretty stiff. But they wear great, they grab on to anything and they are tough as rocks!

boo471

Adventurer
HAM Radio Installed.

So I wanted to be able to get a hold of civilization even when in secluded areas or even just behind a mountain. I also wanted something stronger and clearer than CB when out riding with a group of cars.

So I got my Tech license this weekend and did not wait a second with installing my radio in my truck.

I got a Kenwood TM-V71A. It has more functions then I need but the main reason I got this one was that its a dual band radio with repeater functionality for a pretty decent price.

So I can set my truck up as a repeater (As a radio tower with a pretty decent amount of transmission power) and use my handheld radio (Baofeng UV-5RE Plus) that I got. In my back pack when out hiking. If I need to reach someone i use my handheld and go thru the radio in my truck and it will retransmit my transmission with way stronger signal to whatever repeater/channel that I set it to. If I need to change the transmitting channel on my radio in my truck when out hiking. Then I can remote control it from my handheld and adjust outgoing transmission and other settings as well. Pretty neat actually.

I welded a new tab on the driver side of my bumper and mounted a Comet SSB-5 2M/70CM antenna that suppose to hold up pretty well for off road use.

I mounted my mobile radio headunit unit above the rear view mirror where the little compartment for sunglasses houses. I removed the holder for the sunglasses and made a little bracket for it. I used double sided adhessive to fix the head unit and the bracket. The main unit is located where my CD changer use to be above the glove compartment. And I mounted two loudspeakers (One for each band so I can listen in to two channels at the same time) under the driver seat.

Here are some pictures of my new set up. I'll get some pictures of the main unit/speakers and the antenna mount as well.

Head unit mounted in roof and mic on the dash.

Night time. Color matches the dash.

My small handheld that I got for 38 bucks of amazon. Surprisingly good.

//Marten

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Very nice!

Brett, you're going to have to study up to get that license.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal