Lexus GX470 Expedition build

boo471

Adventurer
2nd corner completed. Key West

Im sorry for not having posting anything here lately. I have been on vacation in Florida the last week completing the 2nd conner in our quest to explore the US.

For you who have not read thru my build thread. My wife and I are Swedish we have been living here in the US for almost 4 years now. We have a plan to explore the US by car and if possible doing it by traveling on back roads and in areas most tourist don't visit (hence my build of the Lexus) before the day comes when we decide to move back home to the cold….dark….snowy north of Scandinavia. We also have a goal to drive to the extreme 4 corners of the lower 48 states. We did the north eastern point in Maine this spring and a few weeks back we went to explore Florida to hit our 2nd corner down in Key west.

Here are some pictures from that trip.

Trip started, you need to make sure you got enough GPS devices to not get lost.

We came in late to St Augustine, FL and found a spot in an RV campsite. We didn't really fit in.

St.Augustine. Breakfast by the water

St. Augustine

St. Augustine

After St. Augustine we drove down to Key Largo and stayed the night at an awesome campsite right by the water.

Enjoying the sunset

Waking up with a view. Even the dog enjoyed watching the boats driving by all morning.

But sometimes he is cold then he sticks his head in one of the sleeping bags.

The morning after we continued on towards the 2nd corner, Key west.

I was eager to get it checked of my bucket list :)

We stopped on one of the islands where we found a secluded beach were we went for a swim.

We also found some great seafood restaurants along the way.

We finally got down to the southern most point. We came back later that night with the car when the site was less busy.

Key West

Some cool cars. Key West

It offered some great old architecture.

I guess some rum has been consumed here?

Key West sunset

awesome restaurant, Blue Heaven

Blue Heaven

2nd corner shoot with the truck!

More pictures to come.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looks like a fun trip! South Florida is a pretty cool place. There's tons of history there if you know where to look.

St. Augustine is a great town. A bit too touristy during the summer months, but when it's not busy you've got hundreds of years of history all to yourself. I was there this summer. The Castillo is pretty awesome to wander through. I popped in to the Pirate Museum too. That's a fun place.

The Keys are beautiful. Kind of like a budget version of the Bahamas. I did a trip to the Keys in 2012 to go diving. All I can remember of Key Largo is great diving. Key West is different, though. Tons of history and character there. Luckily for you, you showed up at a time of year when the town isn't packed with very drunken northerners. In the summer, Duval Street is just a zoo.

Great pics and glad to see you had a lot of fun!

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Awesome update and I had to crop down to the 2 best pics (imo) that you shared. That sunset is just fantastic.

Im sorry for not having posting anything here lately. I have been on vacation in Florida the last week completing the 2nd conner in our quest to explore the US.

For you who have not read thru my build thread. My wife and I are Swedish we have been living here in the US for almost 4 years now. We have a plan to explore the US by car and if possible doing it by traveling on back roads and in areas most tourist don't visit (hence my build of the Lexus) before the day comes when we decide to move back home to the cold….dark….snowy north of Scandinavia. We also have a goal to drive to the extreme 4 corners of the lower 48 states. We did the north eastern point in Maine this spring and a few weeks back we went to explore Florida to hit our 2nd corner down in Key west.

Enjoying the sunset

Waking up with a view. Even the dog enjoyed watching the boats driving by all morning.

boo471

Adventurer
2nd corner, Key west continues....

So after we hit Key west we moved on.

We went for a quick lunch at Miami beach. Weather sucked and traffic was pretty bad so we didn't stay there long. Instead We traveled west in to Everglades.

Everglades had some cool birds and tons of alligators along the roads.

We found a nice spot to spend the night in the middle of everglades. Since we where so far from any source of light the stars really came out bright that night.

The next morning we moved on. We stopped for a nice lunch in Naples

We continued north along the west coast. We made a stop in Bonita Beach where they had a great beach for dogs. Bobo loved playing there. It was great until he started throwing up salt water all over the car.

The wife needed some refreshments.

Tampa Bay area

We continued up to Clear Water that day. There we found a nice state forest. Which was the only time during this entire trip where we found some good off road roads to play around on. We also found a remote campsite there where we spent the night. Again under a clear sky with the stars shining down on us.

The next morning we where up at 05:00AM to go swim with Manatee's. This was the high light of the trip I would really recommend anyone in the near area to go there and try this out.

Heading in towards the springs where the Manatee's hang out.

Captain Tim was great. I called the night off thanksgiving and he was fully booked the day after but he was awesome and still able of setting up a private tour for us with our dog.

Swimming with Manatee's

Im sexy and I know it! :)

We continued our drive north and made a lunch stop ad Cedar Key. A really cool place. I would love to spend some more time there.

Apparently they have the worlds best clam chowder so we had to try it. And yes, it was very good.

11 hours later Scuba Steve was back home in a freezing cold North Carolina. He worked flawlessly during the entire trip. This car is great for long hauls on good and bad roads. Couldn't be more happy with how it performs in a longer trip like this one.

//Marten

Last edited:

boo471

Adventurer
Day trip to the mountains.

This weekend we went for a day trip to explore some known and unknown roads in the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. Here are some pictures from that trip.

At starbucks for coffee before we head out.

Getting closer to the mountains. Its a good thing Dortons 4runner looks good from behind because there are a lot of photos of it.

This trails starts with some water crossings.

It also starts out with a pretty nasty ledge that you need to climb. Its been raining a lot lately so the rocks where wet so I wasn't sure if we where gonna be able to climb it or if we had to winch up.

Dortons truck climbed it with out any problems. Front and rear lockers does help. Surprisingly both my GX and the other 4runner in the pack was able to climb it pretty easily without winching.

Here you get a better view of how high/steep the ledge is.

Going up.

My new wheels worked well and didnt get oval like the OEM once.

It was muddy

The dogs had a blast running around in the woods.

Heading further up in altitude and we had fog. Lots of it.

At the end of the day we couldn't see much in all the fog so we turned back and headed home. So next time we still have a few roads to explore.

Overall a great day with great company!

//Marten

ripper1600

Adventure Seeker
Seeing all of the exploring that you and your wife do gets the exploring bug moving. Can't wait to travel around the east coast and I am sure while I am in Georgia I will have plenty of beach trips planned especially since the wife loves the beach.

boo471

Adventurer
Photos from WV/VA trip

First of all I want to say sorry for not updated the build thread lately. I have been very busy at work and I have a pregnant wife that needs to be fed on a regular basis to keep everything in order in the household. So my prioritize have been elsewhere.

I still have plans at doing several more updates on the truck. And I hope I will be able to before the little one pops out. I am even considering building an off road camper trailer now since the family is growing. I am very impressed with the features and design of the UEV-490. And would love to build one with a similar design myself. But with some alterations to fit my needs.

But we am still traveling around exploring the east side of the country. This weekend we where up in VA/WV area in the George Washington National forest. Its a great area with tons of fun roads to explore. Following are some pictures/video from that trip.

Here is a map of the area where we drove around. It is just west of Harrisonburg, VA.

The rain came down like crazy on the way up. It was kind of hard to see when driving up.

Once in the park the roads where muddy and icy which made for a fun experience.

My wife probably loves driving this car off road more then I do. She decided to take on the steepest most technical section of the entire trip. And she did a damn good job. It may not look like much on the video/pictures but its a very steep hill. Which was muddy, with a fallen tree, a high cliff shooting straight down on the driver side and ending with a pretty nasty ledge. We where all pretty impressed with her driving.

By the end of the day 1 the cars where nice and muddy!

The night was rainy and pretty chilly

//Marten

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal