Lexus GX470 Expedition build

DanKunz

Adventurer
You succeeded. I hope you saved all your templates because I am sure other GX owners would pay for one of those (I would if I didnt have one already).

boo471

Adventurer
You succeeded. I hope you saved all your templates because I am sure other GX owners would pay for one of those (I would if I didnt have one already).

All the templates are saved so I could build another one if someone requests that. But it wont be cheap :)

boo471

Adventurer
Front bumper is finally done (for now)

Bumper is done (For now). So yesterday I did the final touches on the bumper and got it mounted on the truck. I also mounted my HIDs on the bumper and did the wiring for does as well.
I'm very happy with the outcome of the bumper. The design and function is spot on what I wanted. I will do some minor updates on the bumper once I have a winch. I will add some gussets. I will also do the final attachment bracket that will mount on the side of the frame. To give some more strength to the design once I have the winch in there.
But for now it's done.

The first thing I did yesterday was to Spray the exposed bodypanels on the truck satin black and then I added 2 more coats of satin black color. Once that had dried I wanted it to integrate with my skids somehow. The skids are signal orange and the satin black interacting with the signal orange looked kind of weird so I sprayed the expanded metal on the bumper and the nuts holding the bumper in signal orange as well. Kind of looks like a hipster sneaker right now :victory:
DSCF2817_zps4c763435.jpg

DSCF2816_zps52e849fd.jpg

DSCF2814_zps5e399022.jpg

DSCF2818_zpsdbe2c26e.jpg

DSCF2821_zpsf889fd80.jpg

DSCF2815_zpsbd4e1b3a.jpg

Then I mounted the bumper to the truck.
DSCF2822_zpse7182872.jpg

I added the HIDs and did the wiring on does as well. I am very happy I did my cable management bracket a couple of months ago. It makes it much easier adding add-on's. Just throw in another relay hook it up and then your good to go. I used strips to mount the wiring to the hoops.
DSCF2820_zps97ce910c.jpg

DSCF2826_zpseb456590.jpg

The lights produce a pretty decent amount of light now. I guess I have to cover my HIDs so the police don't get mad at me for having too many extra lights. I took it for a test drive yesterday and past 4 troopers and no one stopped me so I'm not sure if they care or not.

Here is the final product:
DSCF2824_zps5c8dc81d.jpg

DSCF2823_zpscdb6d342.jpg

DSCF2825_zpsa48efd7c.jpg

DSCF2827_zps0948c471.jpg

Photo taken in daylight. It hurts my eyes :)
DSCF2828_zps0c3f0f02.jpg

//Marten

Last edited:

colodak

Adventurer
It's a state by state thing as far as whether or not you will be harassed. IIRC, W. Virginia is one of the worst, especially for roof mounted lights, I seem to recall Jeep and Nissan had issues and had to stop selling Liberty's and Xterra's with factory mounted roof lights. Nebraska used to be sticklers about this in the 80's, I used to drive from Denver to Hastings monthly to visit my girlfriend and would occasionally get harassed by the cops for my driving lights.

boo471

Adventurer
It's a state by state thing as far as whether or not you will be harassed. IIRC, W. Virginia is one of the worst, especially for roof mounted lights, I seem to recall Jeep and Nissan had issues and had to stop selling Liberty's and Xterra's with factory mounted roof lights. Nebraska used to be sticklers about this in the 80's, I used to drive from Denver to Hastings monthly to visit my girlfriend and would occasionally get harassed by the cops for my driving lights.

What are the fines for this? Or do they only give you a warning?

Hoosier Daddy

Observer
Definitely a cool build! Very nice execution on the bumper, your results prove that (lots of) hard work and a few tools can get it done. I think Dan is on to something here. With your CAD skills you could produce a "template cut sheet" that individuals could get from you to build their own bumper of your design. The file could be taken to a water jet or simply hand cut at home, by printing the templates to scale.

Side note: I just bought a GX 470 and your build was one of the contributing factors to that decision!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk