liberty pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
"China doesn't build a good product"
"The build quality and quality of parts are terrible"

Similar phrases were spoken about Japanese vehicles in the 1970s,
and Korean vehicles in the 1990s. I expect that in 5 years or so
we'll be praising Chinese quality and reliability.

sandalscout

Adventurer

Yeah, maybe not praising, but perhaps respecting the advances that they have made. But, you are absolutely correct. I have a 2002 Hyundai, friggin AWESOME car.... now anyway.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™

I only say this because my former employer imported Chinese trucks and vans and the quality was terrible. They were built cheep and sold cheep. It was unbelievable the problems we had with brand new trucks. The plastics inside were bad, the interiors were poorly built and installed poorly.

Perhaps their build quality will get better over time, but I bet not. Chinese workers don't get paid enough.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Perhaps their build quality will get better over time, but I bet not. Chinese workers don't get paid enough.

Sure they will, look at all of the much-improved electronics rolling out of China right now. Toshiba, Sony, etc, etc, etc would not have moved production from Japan to mainland China if it wasn't getting better. Not to say that they don't have a ways to go, but I recently read that China is averaging in about 1 one year the same levels of improvement in most manufacturing sectors that the US experienced in 8 years. Granted, many of them are 50 or so years behind, and that rate will likely slow, but still. Besides, many Chinese factory workers are beginning to be compensated more, enjoying more benefits, etc. Don't get me wrong, I buy as little from China as possible, the prospects of food or cars from there is scary as anything, but they are greatly improving many aspects of manufacturing in a hurry.

How about these for a closing remark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmpDM8wVrUQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWy_fASSiQ&feature=related

(This one is scariest because it's a ripped off design and it still is horrible)

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Observer
2005 Liberty Limited 4X4

As it is now:
IMG_2923.jpg

How I was thinking of making it:
KJTruck.jpg

I'm having second thoughts about it though. I always wanted a Jeep pickup and they don't make them anymore. Besides, a smaller pickup is better off road.

Terry

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The KJ is a great rig. Being a Comanche owner, I am a fan of the Jeep P/U obviously. The KJ is very capable. Check into www.lostkjs.com and you'll see what the mighty little jeep can do. Given the future path of oil prices, an entry to the market with Jeep pedigree and a CRD would be refreshing.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
The first generation Liberty isn't so bad looking with a little clearance and some tires. For a light duty cargo hauler, it's not a bad idea depending on the use.

Since China surpased the US for consumer demand of autos recently, maybe we will start lusting after vehicles only available in China:elkgrin:

Well they do offer a knock off FZJ80

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal