Lightweight Expedition Options (Element, RAV4, Suzuki)

Scott Brady

Founder
For a few years now, I have been scheming a plan to drive a lightweight AWD across a classic domestic expedition route like the White Rim Trail or the Mojave Road, etc. to prove that it can be done successfully.

During my recent trip to Baja, my interest was piqued again when we came across a Honda Element at Mission San Borja.

Properly outfitted, I believe these vehicles can make expedition travel more accessible to the average driver, and greatly reduce the "cost of admission".

Several on this forum have well over $50,000 invested in their vehicles, which now get less than 15mpg (sometimes much less) when fully loaded.

I am certainly not proposing that a RAV4 is intended for extreme terrain or overly remote and unpredictable routes (especially with the potential for deep water crossings), but the concept is fun to consider and discuss.

And for those of you who are already skeptical, how many times have you been in a really remote place, feeling all proud and hard core, only to have a VW van putter by... :shakin:

So for the next few posts I am going to list the lightweight expedition options that are most appealing to me. Lets hear what you have to say... :box:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
zuki time

Well, I of course, am a fan of the Suzuki.

For one or two people, it certainly would have enough cargo room for a reasonable length of time. Extremely capable off-road with true ladder frame and 4-lo (well, not anymore, except the XL7) and relatively good gas mileage.

The Vitara and Grand Vitara are more modern counterparts to the Sidekick and have more creature comforts.

The Sidekick has more aftermarket support and can be had CHEAP. In fact, I am probably acquiring one that has a blown engine (my mom's) and am considering putting a VW diesel (1.6 either normally aspirated or Turbo) into it for a cost of about $1,500, which includes all the adapters from a company called ACME. This could give me well over 30 mpg, maybe even up to 40 from what I've read, and good power - especially torque for off-road.

I don't have time or money to tackle yet another project, but I'd rather keep it and fix it someday than see it donated and probably junked.

So, if anybody knows of a good VW diesel for cheap, email me.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
that one Grand Vitara looks like it has the goods to hang offroad in a small pkg.
I am not sure about the element but I think they use the Rav4 in AUS and EU for light trail duty dont they?

Scott Brady

Founder
Honda Element

I have LOVED this vehicle since first introduced in 2003. I guess it appeals to the chromophobic in me, with plastic side panels, boxy shape, rubber floor and huge interior for the size.

I also like the fact that it is a Honda, engineered to be reliable and very economical to drive. That goes all the way down to the 10,000 mile oil changes and 100,000+ tune up cycles. The engine is also LEV-2, which isnt a bad thing at all.

So here are the great "elements" of the Element

1. $22k new, fully loaded AWD
2. Nice automatic trans (2.68:1 first) (without low-range, the auto is critical)
3. XM Radio (sweet)
4. IPOD plug (sweet)
5. Sleep in the back, looking up to the stars through a huge sunroof
6. 4.43 axle gearing
7. 24 mpg, 16 gallon tank= nearly a 400 mile range (21 city)
8. 77 cubic feet of cargo volume, a 2006 4Runner has 72!

Not so great and possible fixes
1. No traction control. This I dont understand, as ABS and EBD are there. CR-V gets traction control in 2005.
2. 7" or ground clearance: Can be addressed with coil-overs and taller (not wider) tires. 9" is not out of question with 215/85 tires.
3. Low hanging fuel tank. That is my biggest concern, and can be addressed with a skidplate.

Fellow adventurer (and acquaintance) Sid, from Nomad Explorer is using an Element as a lightweight expedition platform. Cool machine.

IMG_1904.JPG

And our forum member PaulJ has a 2003 AWD E that he has used on several adventures. I have seen a few pictures of his trips, but cant seem to find them now.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on a very cool machine :D

paulj

Expedition Leader
I have attached some photos of my Element setup for camping.

Honda sells a 'cabana' for use over the open tailgate. Some use it for camping, though it seems to work best as a beach changing cabana and sun shade.

Another tailgate enclosure option is a 'midsize campertop tent'. This is designed to enclose the tailgate of compact pickup with campertop. The Element's tailage is a bit narrower, and considerably taller. I modified my tent by adding a gray polytarp extension.

I have also experimented with various awnings, especially over the wide side doors. With appropriate spreader bars strapped to the roof rank the MSR Vistawing (a 7 pt wing tarp) is a good tension tarp. The Kelty Carport (large) also works. With both I have to pay attention to details to ensure that there is good rain drainage from the nearly flat part near the car.

There are several ways 2 people can sleep in an Element. All seats can be lowered to make a nearly flat surface covering most of the interior. The rear seats can be raised against the sides, or removed entirely, leaving a nearly flat floor. With the front seats shoved forward this floor is 6' long, 43" wide. With the tailgate down, the floor is another 18" long.

I have removed the rear seats, and replaced them with a wood and steel platform 4' long. There is about 9" of clearance under it, enough to store 8 gallon Rubbermaid boxes, and a full size spare (the stock spare is a compact one under the cargo floor). With a 2' extension on the tailgate, I get a full 6' of flat bed space. However in cool weather, I prefer leaving the tailgate closed, and lowering the front seat backs. Most of my camping gear fits on the front seat bottoms, on the dash, and in the footwells.

paulj

Attachments

• openside.jpg
    openside.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 788
  • tailgateextension.jpg
    tailgateextension.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 680
  • tailgatetent.jpg
    tailgatetent.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 652
  • sleeping area.jpg
    sleeping area.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 633
  • frontcampingmode.jpg
    frontcampingmode.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 514
  • EvLR.jpg
    EvLR.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 490
  • IMGP0905.jpg
    IMGP0905.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Many of my recent trip photos are on my pbase gallery
http://www.pbase.com/paulj3

These trips include:
- Central British Columbia: along the Fraser River including High Bar Rd, Bella Coola (various decommissioned forestry roads), and Manning Prov. Park.

- American SW: Moab (including Long Canyon and La Sal Mtns), San Juans (camping above Telluride), S Utah, Sierra Nevadas)

- SE British Columbia: Kootenays and Rockies (including Kananaskis Country)

- Queen Charlotte Islands, in an 97 RAV4.

paulj

paulj

Expedition Leader
Some other modifications that I've made to my Element include:

Cooper Discoverer ATR tires, 225/70/16 size (slight increase over stock)

Roof rack, homemade brackets from 1 1/2" aluminum angle, Yakima cross bars

Thule Sidekick cargo box

Homemade cargo platform; current version adapted from a hardware store aluminum step platform. Mostly used to store kitchen boxes off the ground at camp.

Tool and recovery gear storage in the spare tire well (don't need the compact spare with the full size spare under the sleeping platform).

The only that I've done to improve ground clearance (other than add 1/4" with the tire change) is learn how the suspension behaves over bumps, and especially over waterbars.

paulj

Scott Brady

Founder
Great posts Paul :camping:

I have a few questions for you:

What has your real world MPG been?
How did the Element do in your snow run?

Oh, and great pictures by the way. That one of the "Element in the Mist" was great :)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Paul.....

Thanks for sharing!

I'm really enjoying your pics at your pic place! I need more time to go through and see them all. I started with southern Utah. I really like that area around Muley Point. One of your pics shows the trail below Muley Point. My attachment below is the WonderRunner down on this lower trail heading back to "John's Canyon".......as I am stopped to open a cow gate.....June 2004. I've also done the Mormon Immigrant Trail and Comb Ridge area. Just beautiful!

I want to camp out on Muley Point one night in the future.....my timing has not been right yet. The views are outstanding!

Attachments

• Cow gate.jpg
    Cow gate.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 337

CLynn85

Explorer
I've always had a soft spot for the suzukis and smaller utes. Tried to get a couple friends with "lesser" SUV's to go out on trips with us when only the occasional use of 4wd is necessary but to no avail.

I personally think it'd be fun to take a "light" suv out on a trail, assuming it had some decent tires, and a low range would be a plus. I think it'd be a nice challenge. Maybe to prove a point, maybe to promote awareness and get others into exploring the backcounty a bit more, providing a better reason to own a cute-ute than to "see over other cars".

I remember when the kia sportages came out, few years before I got my license, I wanted one bad, with a small lift and mud terrains, I have no idea why, but I really wanted one....

Another plus with the light utes is the shorter wb compared to most of ya'll that are running trucks and full size suv's.

I do however, despise the element. Perhaps it's the styling, and the fact that they don't paint half of the plastic body panels. Coupled with the worst beakover angle I've seen on an "suv".

Wow, after reading that most of those are completely disjointed and was merely a collection of random thoughts, oh well, it's been one of those days.

Scott Brady

Founder
CLynn85 said:
I do however, despise the element. Perhaps it's the styling, and the fact that they don't paint half of the plastic body panels. Coupled with the worst beakover angle I've seen on an "suv".

"Despise" :eek:

Well, at least in 2006 you can get the body panels in matching colors :)

Some bigger tires and a small lift and that breakover will be addressed too. It is only a 101" WB, so the break-over wont be so bad...

CLynn85

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
"Despise" :eek:

Ok ok ok, so despise was a little harsh. Just not very fond of them, as a personal preference. Whenever I see one the first thing I think of is the aztec...

The element has it's pluses, the fact that it's rear space is very versatile and configurable/usable being one of the best, it's just not my style.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, sorry Carl, just giving you a hard time :beer: :beer: :) I do know the look isnt for everyone. Oh, and it is a Monday, so despise is a word that can often come to mind on days like this :ylsmoke:

paulj

Expedition Leader
The poor breakover angle of the Element is due, in large part, to the design goal of a flat floor and great headroom. Note the picture I posted that compared the back ends of a Discovery and my Element. Similar tailgate dimensions, but the Discovery is taller, due to the higher floor.

The low breakover angle does limit rough road travel, though I have learned that taking things like water bars at an angle helps considerably. Putting diagonally opposite wheels on the high ground reduces breakover angle problems.

Ruts are another problem. Where possible I stay out of them. At one spot near the top of Long Canyon near Moab, I was able to keep the front wheels on the high ground, while the rear ones dutifully tracked along in the ruts. I made it through headed downhill. I not sure I could have done it uphill.

A plus feature of the Element is its tight turning circle, on the par with a Wrangler if not better. If the going does get too tough, I don't need much track width to turn tail and run for home :)

paulj

Attachments

• longcanyon1.jpg
    longcanyon1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 122
  • longcanyonslot.jpg
    longcanyonslot.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 121
  • LongCanyonRock.jpg
    LongCanyonRock.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 139
  • LongCanyonPause.jpg
    LongCanyonPause.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 195
S

Scenic WonderRunner

A Pic of an Element......guarding the border at Jacumba, CA. ..........!

Viva La Element!

20051002ors.JPG

The mtns. in the background are the In~Ko~Pah mtns. where we are going with Calamaridog to Smugglers Cave this coming Sat. (a little to the left!...hehe)
The pic really shows you how close the border is to this area.....and how anyone can just hop over the "parking lot" barrier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater