Liquid Spring Suspension

ramblinChet

Interesting system - at first I though they may be using magnetorheological fluid although after viewing their design it appears to be more a semi-active hydropneumatic system using compressible silicone fluid passing through variable valving. A bit too advanced for this coil and leaf spring guy but a nice looking system nonetheless!

eyemgh

Did you make any headway on this? They’re releasing a version for 1-ton trucks soon, and I’m very interested.

billiebob

Being a techy car geek I love this technology. Being a car guy for the past 50 years I'm not a fan of complex systems replacing proven, tried and true old school stuff. Very cool and new it will likely be a dream system. 5 years old I'd worry about a failure and is there a fail safe backup should it fail or are you grounded.

A buddy has a new Mercedes with the air suspension when it failed his Merc became a slammed low rider. Same with Citreons hydrallic suspension 50 years ago. And the big 600 Merc from the 1960s. For the limited number of hydrallic and air suspensions built the failure rate is pretty high.

At least air ride semis can be driven with failed air bags.

Last edited:

eyemgh

Being a techy car geek I love this technology. Being a car guy for the past 50 years I'm not a fan of complex systems replacing proven, tried and true old school stuff. Very cool and new it will likely be a dream system. 5 years old I'd worry about a failure and is there a fail safe backup should it fail or are you grounded.

A buddy has a new Mercedes with the air suspension when it failed his Merc became a slammed low rider. Same with Citreons hydrallic suspension 50 years ago. And the big 600 Merc from the 1960s. For the limited number of hydrallic and air suspensions built the failure rate is pretty high.

At least air ride semis can be driven with failed air bags.

It can be driven if it's fully dead. It'll just be rough. It won't collapse to undriveable like that MB system did.

gatorgrizz27

How do these handle stuff like a couple hours on a washboard road? I know it’s common for many shocks to overheat and the fluid basically boils or foams, leaving you with no dampening, but still metal springs.

eyemgh

How do these handle stuff like a couple hours on a washboard road? I know it’s common for many shocks to overheat and the fluid basically boils or foams, leaving you with no dampening, but still metal springs.

That’s the sort of stuff I want to know.

Word is it will level too.

billiebob

It can be driven if it's fully dead. It'll just be rough. It won't collapse to undriveable like that MB system did.
I read thru it again and found nothing to say it could be driven without the fluid. It mentions bump stops but not that they will make it driveable.

eyemgh

I read thru it again and found nothing to say it could be driven without the fluid. It mentions bump stops but not that they will make it driveable.

I was told that by Karl, their national rep for overland sales.

As you know though, there's different degrees of drivable, but it won't strand you.

billiebob

I was told that by Karl, their national rep for overland sales.

As you know though, there's different degrees of drivable, but it won't strand you.
Its not the rough ride I'm worried about. Will they still back the warranty after 80 miles of washboard and creek crossings without springs? I trust sales guys like I trust drug pushers.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
We have liquid spring on one of our 450 type 1 ambulance, it’s prone to leaking about every six months and repairs are costly. We only ever had one in the fleet. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eyemgh

We have liquid spring on one of our 450 type 1 ambulance, it’s prone to leaking about every six months and repairs are costly. We only ever had one in the fleet. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I'm going tried and true...2.5" Carli tuned Kings and a XHD Deaver pack. Liquid Spring has so much promise, but it's probably not ready for off road prime time yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78