Locker / Gear setup...

Nikson

Explorer
planning to put my XJ on some "bricks" and take them axles down.

would like to re-gear & put lockers. I understand that lockers are more or less are personal preference as far as selectable/LSD type go, so would like to hear some opinions from others who already have them, or have had enough experience to express their opinion.

Current setup:
2001 Cherokee XJ
AW4/231
D30/Chry 8.25 w/stock LSD
3.55 gear
4.5 RC lift
33 BFG KM2s

I believe that 4.56 gears are the way to go for me, since do pull a trailer sometime, and do have some steep trails to get to the top. Biggest dilemna is the locker...

Currently considering.

Front / Rear - Detroit Tru-Trac.
or just Detroit in the rear.

Biggest question: Being that my XJ is a daily driver, and long distance on pavement to get to that special place... how will Detroit affect overall driving experience...

May be I should consider another option, such as Aussie... or...???:ylsmoke:

Go with the lock-rite in the front. You wont know it is there until you need it in 4wd and when you do need it, the difference is HUGE. It is still affordable and worst case you dont like it then remove it and sell the thing and put spider gears back in. For the rear i have always run a Detroit. They are now making the "soft locker" which i have not had much experience with. The thing with a detroit is it is there and on all the time, Less parts to break as with an air locker. However if you live in an area where you do ALOT of ice driving you may want to consider a selectable locker. However what it usually boils down to is keep a head on your shoulders, drive conservatively and the back en will stay where it should. For your gears i would go with the 4.56's for your use of a trailer at times. some guys have gone with a 4.88 for the trail benefits but if you mainly spend your time on road the 4.56's is the way to go.

alosix

Expedition Leader
If you're going with a lunch box up front I'd go with the Aussie over the others.

In a D30 they have a few less parts in them and are a heck of a lot easier to install.

After having to repair the Lockrite in the Comp TJ 2x in as many events we put an aussie in there. Besides less cussing about flying springs, its held up better.

Since you're going from 3.55 to 4.56 you'll need a carrier. At that rate I'd probably just grab a full detroit up front as well.

Do you drive in the snow at all @ speed?

Jason

granitex1

Adventurer
For me if it is a DD, than selectable is the only way to go. There is not a lot worse sound than listening to your tires scrub off in every parking lot you go into. The nice urf...urf...urf sound as good tires are wasted on pavement, that and icey roads with a automatic locker is not my idea of fun.

JK-Mg1212

Observer
For me if it is a DD, than selectable is the only way to go. There is not a lot worse sound than listening to your tires scrub off in every parking lot you go into. The nice urf...urf...urf sound as good tires are wasted on pavement, that and icey roads with a automatic locker is not my idea of fun.

Yep. Couldn't agree more and x2 for icy roads. SWB and lockers can make an interesting commute during black (really any) ice conditions. If you can swing the cost go selectable.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
4.56 gears with 33'' tires. As for locker, I don't notice my Aussie up front; but I DEFINITELY notice it in the rear.

If I had the cash, I'd do selectable rear and auto front.

.02c

Nikson

Explorer
Go with the lock-rite in the front. You wont know it is there until you need it in 4wd and when you do need it, the difference is HUGE. It is still affordable and worst case you dont like it then remove it and sell the thing and put spider gears back in. For the rear i have always run a Detroit. They are now making the "soft locker" which i have not had much experience with. The thing with a detroit is it is there and on all the time, Less parts to break as with an air locker. However if you live in an area where you do ALOT of ice driving you may want to consider a selectable locker. However what it usually boils down to is keep a head on your shoulders, drive conservatively and the back en will stay where it should. For your gears i would go with the 4.56's for your use of a trailer at times. some guys have gone with a 4.88 for the trail benefits but if you mainly spend your time on road the 4.56's is the way to go.

Thanks a bunch... Great feedback...

Nikson

Explorer
If you're going with a lunch box up front I'd go with the Aussie over the others.

In a D30 they have a few less parts in them and are a heck of a lot easier to install.

After having to repair the Lockrite in the Comp TJ 2x in as many events we put an aussie in there. Besides less cussing about flying springs, its held up better.

Since you're going from 3.55 to 4.56 you'll need a carrier. At that rate I'd probably just grab a full detroit up front as well.

Do you drive in the snow at all @ speed?

Jason

Being in Oregon (Willamette Valley), I dont have a lot of highway speed snow/ice driving, its all when we play in the snow off highway stuff.

Have been suggested by couple others to go Detroit TruTracs both front and back...

Nikson

Explorer
Yep. Couldn't agree more and x2 for icy roads. SWB and lockers can make an interesting commute during black (really any) ice conditions. If you can swing the cost go selectable.

I guess this is going to be another fight in my mind...
like it was with choosing which tires to buy... :)

Thanks

Nikson

Explorer
4.56 gears with 33'' tires. As for locker, I don't notice my Aussie up front; but I DEFINITELY notice it in the rear.

If I had the cash, I'd do selectable rear and auto front.

.02c

Once get the XJ on the bricks, I guess will have to open up a build thread... :)

Nikson

Explorer
A picture from yesterday... 03-09-2010

IMG_1569.CR2.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Great picture.

For the difference in cash between automatic and selectable lockers I'd do selectable. We aren't talking huge money. If I lived where it didn't snow I might think the converse.

$0.02

Btw, great picture.

Nikson

Explorer
Great picture.

For the difference in cash between automatic and selectable lockers I'd do selectable. We aren't talking huge money. If I lived where it didn't snow I might think the converse.

$0.02

Btw, great picture.

Considering everything at hand as far as all the suggestions,,,

May be having a Detroit TruTrac in the back with a selectable (ARB/OX) in the front would be a best option...

My main concern is that sometime need to make a hard turn (low speed) - dont want to have to fight that "locked" front...

On a straight upline run, locked front is great, I am sure...

Nikson

Explorer
Great picture.

$0.02

Btw, great picture.

Thanks, I like how pictures come out on such trips... most of the time camera actually passes on the feeling of the adventure... :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/nikebay

find plenty there, one of my online albums...

DrMoab

Explorer
I'm running 33 inch tires with 4:56 gears and if I could do it over I would have went with the 4:88s. Especially if you are pulling a trailer all the time.

The guys I know running 4:88s and 33s are actually getting better mileage. The 4.0L makes more power and is more efficient under a load at higher RPM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk