"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Good news! It seems a grease zerk broke off of one of my driveshaft u-joints (which was replaced last may) and it dried out, probably from the many water crossings I've done.

The u-joints are under warranty from my mechanic, so the repair is free. I'm having him replace the pinion seal while it's there, since that's weeping pretty bad.

Happy days

nmatcek

Adventurer
Good news! It seems a grease zerk broke off of one of my driveshaft u-joints (which was replaced last may) and it dried out, probably from the many water crossings I've done.

The u-joints are under warranty from my mechanic, so the repair is free. I'm having him replace the pinion seal while it's there, since that's weeping pretty bad.

Happy days
Uh yeah that's about 1000000 times better than what you were expecting!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I was hoping for shiny new parts!

Sorry to disappoint Tom. New shiny parts coming!

That's great to hear it was not anything expensive. More money for trips and new toys!! Ha

My thoughts precisely!

Lola is now back in my possession, with no weird noises and a brand new set of rear u-joints, a new pinion seal on the rear diff, and new diff oil. Total cost: $75 for the seal and new oil. He didn't charge me any labor for the work because he was doing the u-joints already. I love my mechanic.

skibum315

Explorer
Lola is now back in my possession, with no weird noises and a brand new set of rear u-joints, a new pinion seal on the rear diff, and new diff oil. Total cost: $75 for the seal and new oil. He didn't charge me any labor for the work because he was doing the u-joints already. I love my mechanic.
Good stuff! Glad it was something so (relatively) simple ... and I'll pile on, with the comments about finding a great mechanic and all that ... customer service win, there!

Sorry to disappoint Tom. New shiny parts coming!
See, that's what I like to hear ... even with the "Phew!" on the fix, still new parts coming. Whattaguy!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Yay...

I've developed a new clunking at the driver's side front. Sounds like a popping when I make right turns. I can also make it happen when hitting the brakes at low speed.

Wonderful. Time for some diagnosing.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Drove the truck to the shop today and could not replicate the sound. Last night was very cold, today it's about 35-40*. Either I have a problem that's ridiculously temperature sensitive, or there was a chunk of ice stuck somewhere. I'll take it home and try the regular ball joint/bushing tests, check the CVs for play, check the u-joints, and grease everything with a zerk.

jhberria

Adventurer
Check the torque on the bolts of your LCAs. It's a fairly common issue that's more exacerbated by cold weather (metal contracts in the cold allowing some play between the LCA and frame mounts so they slide slightly back and forth as the weight of the vehicle shifts). If they're torqued to spec, PRG sells Derlin spacers for your camber bolts that are supposed to prevent the 'clunk'.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hope you discover the issue. I hate mysterious sounds.

Me too! I'm sure I'll get it figured out eventually, if it's not just some ice buildup somewhere.

Check the torque on the bolts of your LCAs. It's a fairly common issue that's more exacerbated by cold weather (metal contracts in the cold allowing some play between the LCA and frame mounts so they slide slightly back and forth as the weight of the vehicle shifts). If they're torqued to spec, PRG sells Derlin spacers for your camber bolts that are supposed to prevent the 'clunk'.

Yep, that was on my list of things to check. I've read that they've been known to loosen up. I've seen those PRG spacers on their site, may have to pick those up just in case.

Or, if I can't find anything and the noise doesn't come back, I can live happy. :)

Time to figure out which mod to order next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online