"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Man, I need to get to Montana. Great photos, as always, and glad you got the sensor replaced.

Also.....your father has a plane? Put in a good word for me with him, will you? I've got some big plans, and the only missing piece is a fully functioning aircraft. Don't ask questions.

Yeah, you really do!

Haha yep, he does. He does not, however, fly black-ops without any intel beforehand. :sombrero:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
The next day was ambitious but we didn't manage to actually accomplish much. We planned to do a hike outside Seeley that afternoon, then a few other fun things. We started the day at the local breakfast place called Pop's, where I had some awesome pancakes.

The plan was to hike to the picturesque Glacier Lake on the west side of the valley. Unfortunately, we forgot that it was spring. We made it a few miles into dirt and ran into deep snow. So I aired down and tried to make it to the trailhead.

We pushed on for a mile or so, and the snow kept getting deeper. I knew we were still a good 6 miles from the trailhead, so, in light of the fact that we were completely alone, I decided to call it.

We headed back up the dirt where we ran into a family of elk...

Before making it back to the highway to air back up.

Since that didn't go well, I decided to head back to the house to see if my dad was up for giving us a short flight around the valley. He was, so we climbed in for my friend's first ever ride in a small plane. I couldn't have picked a better day for it either. The clouds were dramatic but high altitude, with some dappled sunlight streaming through, there was no wind, and the air was smooth.

It was an absolute blast! My friend loved it, which was great, and we had a great time seeing all the wonderful sights from above. It's one thing to stand at the foot of a mountain, and it's entirely another to soar around it's peak. Believe it or not, they're even more majestic from above.

After our flight, we decided it was time for another first for him: shooting. See, Lucas has lived in a family where firearms weren't as much of a pastime as they are in mine. So I took him to the range and taught him a thing or two. We shot long-range targets with my dad's Remington .223, and some short range stuff with my .45 Sig P320. He had a bit of a time handling the Sig, but he got better as time went on. It was a fun way to spend a couple hours, just plinking away at some targets. By the end he had concluded that he really wanted to shoot a lower caliber pistol. :D

After that it was dinner and pretty early to bed. The best part of the trip was yet to come.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Burgers, off-roading, checking out wildlife, a spin in an airplane, and shooting. That sounds like perfect weekend to me. And great pictures as always. We've travelled through Montana a few times as well, on bikes and driving. The views are nothing less than spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep a backup sensor with you if your gonna run the Duralast or any other non-OEM crank or cam sensor. Those are the only sensors I always recommend OEM.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Burgers, off-roading, checking out wildlife, a spin in an airplane, and shooting. That sounds like perfect weekend to me. And great pictures as always. We've travelled through Montana a few times as well, on bikes and driving. The views are nothing less than spectacular.

Yeah, it was pretty fantastic. But it gets even better! Thanks!

Yeah, Montana is a gem. There are few other places I've been that rival it for beauty.

Keep a backup sensor with you if your gonna run the Duralast or any other non-OEM crank or cam sensor. Those are the only sensors I always recommend OEM.

Noted. I was gonna buy an OEM sensor from CourtesyParts as a spare. Maybe I'll swap that out and have the Duralast be the backup.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

We will keep BC a secret then. ;). We have friends in Lolo, love the area. Ridden the Lolo Pass a number of times. Been to Red Lodge to visit friends and ridden The Beartooth Pass. I proposed to my Wife on top of Going To The Sun Road on another bike trip. Yeh, Montana sure is something else. We will be driving through this July on our way to Colorado. Can't wait for that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
We will keep BC a secret then. ;). We have friends in Lolo, love the area. Ridden the Lolo Pass a number of times. Been to Red Lodge to visit friends and ridden The Beartooth Pass. I proposed to my Wife on top of Going To The Sun Road on another bike trip. Yeh, Montana sure is something else. We will be driving through this July on our way to Colorado. Can't wait for that trip.

Secret's out. I love BC. :D

Oh man! You sure do have a bit of a love affair with Montana! I can certainly see why.

You just ran down a list of like all my favorite drives in the state.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
The next morning was where the excitement began. My fiance had shown up the day before to participate in this portion of the trip, which we were all pretty excited about.

We borrowed my mom's 2015 Camry hybrid because of the awesome gas mileage (45 mpg!!) and headed north. Way north. We moved through Bigfork, stopping to grab some food and drinks, before continuing on through Kalispell and Whitefish, before arriving at the Canadian border. There, we filled up with gas and crossed into Canada. See, a few months ago, I had planned to make this trip with my friends. One backed out, but now Lucas, Beret, and I were on our way to the beauty of Banff National Park.

The drive through southern BC was pretty easy, since I knew the drive by then and could find my own way without needing a map. A few hours later, we pulled into the city of Radium Hot Springs, which is perched on the edge of the BC Rockies. We grabbed some pizza at a local restaurant, put our Parks Canada pass in the windshield, and headed out. The entrance through Radium is stunning. You spend a few hours driving north from the border eyeing the pretty but not entirely breathtaking mountains, following the Kootenai River as you go, but when you cross into Kootenai National Park, you are swallowed up by a magnificent canyon before being sent over a stunning mountain pass. After a short drive, you are greeted with an astonishing view of the Rockies before dropping down into the valley and continuing on to Banff. From here the mountains only get better and better, and I can say sincerely that they're even better in the early spring. The snow adds a new level of contrast, while the often thick clouds create even more drama.

It doesn't quit. Eventually, we hooked up with Trans-Canada Highway 1, in the shadow of Castle Mountain, and turned to the east, towards Banff itself. After a drive filled with magical mountains, we rounded a corner and saw the ever-beautiful Rundle Mountain looming over the town of Banff. It's a sight to behold. Knowing we were close, I steered the rest of the way to the lodging, the picturesque Juniper Hotel. I can't believe I got to stay here. The scenery is amazing, the price is great, and the rooms are really nice. But there was no time to waste in the rooms. The weather was very dramatic, and the sun was on it's way to the bottom of it's arc. We had somewhere to be!

About a 20 minute drive north from Banff is the unimaginably picturesque Lake Louise. This lake is situated below massive mountains that rise up to perfectly frame the glacier that carves it's way through the landscape before melting into Lake Louise itself. I could not have imagined a better time for us to show up. The clouds were turning the sunset into something magical, and we were taken aback by the beauty of this place.

Down on the lake, there are a few ice rinks set up by the hotel, as well as an ice castle, which only made the background even more dramatic.

Emboldened by the thick ice and drunk off the scenery, we made our way onto the ice to watch mother nature show off her most fantastic lightshow.

Those are some of the most magical hours of my life, surrounded by a scene that defies words. I cannot wait to go back. Sadly, we had to tear ourselves away from this place. The light was fading, and we needed some food and extra things we had forgotten. So we turned back towards the parking lot. As we strode to our car, we were left with one final, amazing look.

The drive back to Banff was full of excitement. We talked about all the things we wanted to do and places we wanted to see. Before long, we had made it back to town, to give Lucas his first taste of the incredible place that is Banff. We took him down Banff avenue, and to some of our favorite places. We stopped in at Abominable Sports, where we picked up some hats, some mittens, and some ice grippers for our shoes. From there, we headed to our dinner spot for the night, the Banff Avenue Brewing Co.

This place was on our list for a long time, so it was pretty exciting finally eating there. We talked about our travel plans for this trip and upcoming adventures, and we chatted about life. The local beers were fantastic, with my winter ale being the table favorite. Beret and I split an appetizer platter of tasty poutine before moving on to dinner. I treated myself to a venison sausage that was fantastic.

After a lengthy dinner that included some of the more exotic foods and watching curling, we headed back to the hotel for a soak in the outdoor hot tub before turning in for the night, excited about the day to come.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Fantastic and awe-inspiring scenery. I am slightly embarrassed to say that I have never been to the Rockies as an adult. (My parents stuck me in the back of their VW Bug in 1970 and brought me across Canada as an infant, but that doesn't really count)
My Wife and I are heading to Fairmont Hot Springs in June for a good friends 50th birthday bash. We are only going for the weekend, but I'm already scoping out back country spots to camp out on the Friday night. I cannot wait to experiance the mountains.

aaen

Adventurer
Your only a 6 hour drive or so from the east side of the rockies, get in your vehicle and make it to Fernie check out the Fernie brewing co, then get out to the Forestry Trunk Road by Crowsnest Pass and turn north, pop out in Canmore, go the to Bears Paw pub and the local stuff there. Head to Banff do the touristy stuff, then go back over to Revelstoke and take the back country roads south to HWY3, be sure to hit up the remote hot springs, then make your way back to Penticton.

Suggest getting the backroad maps or even the app on your phone for this as I believe it has the hot springs listed on a few of the logging roads. Great spots to bring the significant other in the middle of winter time (who has a bathing suit with them in the dead of winter), couple that with few swigs off your flask and your in for a great evening. ;)

Fantastic and awe-inspiring scenery. I am slightly embarrassed to say that I have never been to the Rockies as an adult. (My parents stuck me in the back of their VW Bug in 1970 and brought me across Canada as an infant, but that doesn't really count)
My Wife and I are heading to Fairmont Hot Springs in June for a good friends 50th birthday bash. We are only going for the weekend, but I'm already scoping out back country spots to camp out on the Friday night. I cannot wait to experiance the mountains.

aaen

Adventurer
Oh and wreck diver, great trip report as usual, you make me jealous with all the places you have gone, love reading your posts and getting ideas for my rig.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Your only a 6 hour drive or so from the east side of the rockies, get in your vehicle and make it to Fernie check out the Fernie brewing co, then get out to the Forestry Trunk Road by Crowsnest Pass and turn north, pop out in Canmore, go the to Bears Paw pub and the local stuff there. Head to Banff do the touristy stuff, then go back over to Revelstoke and take the back country roads south to HWY3, be sure to hit up the remote hot springs, then make your way back to Penticton.

Suggest getting the backroad maps or even the app on your phone for this as I believe it has the hot springs listed on a few of the logging roads. Great spots to bring the significant other in the middle of winter time (who has a bathing suit with them in the dead of winter), couple that with few swigs off your flask and your in for a great evening. ;)

My Backroads mapbook never leaves the Xterra. I just bought a new one this year and finally relegated my tattered old one to my work van. I've been to Fernie once, back in the day when I raced DH, we had a BC Cup race at the ski hill. it was pretty awesome, not much time to sight-see though.
I will look in the mapbook for hot springs, and am looking forward ot heading east to explore more in the next few years.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander

Ahh man! You're right there! You really need to head that way and check it out. It's the most gobsmackingly stunning place I've ever been. And you're so close!

Heck of an update on Banff ... it's always simply amazing pictures that seem to come from there, yours are no different.

Thank you sir. More to come. It was a great trip.

Oh and wreck diver, great trip report as usual, you make me jealous with all the places you have gone, love reading your posts and getting ideas for my rig.

Thanks! Glad to be a source of inspiration. I'm very lucky to be able to go the places I go and do the things with my truck that I do.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
The next day was a big one. We planned to show Lucas the jaw-dropping Icefields Parkway that leads from Banff to Jasper. This 180 mile route showcases some of the most incredible and incomprehensible scenery I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. The area is just enormous, with vast pieces of rock reaching high up into the sky. This truly is a road of roads, and one that should not be missed.

But first, we had to start the day. Alarms rang at 7:30, waking us from our slumber slowly. I stayed in bed trying to catch as must rest as I can, but there was warm, bright light filtering in through the shade. I got up and threw open the curtain, meeting the best wake-up view I have ever seen in my life. Ever.

I love Canada.

Spurred on by this amazing scene, we quickly got dressed and headed into town for a quick stop at Tim Horton's for coffee and breakfast before hitting the road. We headed north, where Trans-Canada Highway 1 meets with the Icefields Parkway. On the way, we watched the sun paint the Canadian Rockies on it's way into the sky. I was particularly impressed by the way Castle Mountain was displayed.

As usually happens in this part of Canada, it was not long before we saw something we needed to stop and take a long look at. This scene was my favorite of the entire day.

This place is magical. Crowfoot Mountain, and the aptly-named Crowfoot Glacier, rise out of the landscape and dominate your vision. They're even more impressive in the winter time for sure.

The next stop along the Parkway is the glacier-fed Bow Lake. Also better in winter.

Lucas thought so too.

Our immediate destination for the day was the overlook near Peyto Lake, which we had seen in the summer. Being one of the more impressive sights in Banff National Park, we figured the stop was worth the hike and the inevitable snow. The snow was about three feet deep on the trail, and about four to five feet deep elsewhere. We could even see some of the benches used by tourists in the summer, now completely empty and only just poking through the snow, almost completely buried. The hike was a pretty easy one though, and we were met with the ever impressive mountains above the lake.

We even decided to take a brief hike around the trails nearby, just to see what we could see.

These lonely winter scenes were some of the best highlights of the trip so far. Completely silent and totally untouched. Nature at it's finest. And there was even more to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal