"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I also forgot to mention that after I did the evap mod, I did the ECU reset, accelerator pedal release position reset, throttle valve closed position reset, and idle air volume learning procedure. Took a little time to get them all right, but I was able to make it happen, and I noticed a difference. I now have a little more low end power back and the truck is idling a bit smoother (to be fair it idled almost smooth as glass before). The power difference isn't major, but it's there. Keep in mind I'm running a 2 degree timing advance and just put in new spark plugs, so it all adds up a bit.

ECU reset et. al. are here: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-how-area/25118-how-ecu-reset-throttle-accelerator-position-learning.html

One last thing. I had driven in 4hi at highway speeds recently, and it was vibrating more than I was comfortable with. It vibrated a little bit before, but not as much. I thought perhaps my front drive shaft was out of balance, so I went to remove it a few days ago so I could have it rebalanced. I set about loosening the bolts at the differential yoke, and to my surprise the bolts were finger tight. My friend that had reinstalled the front shaft when we replaced the diff hadn't actually torqued the bolts! So I tightened them and checked all the driveshaft bolts. Luckily the four at the front were the only offenders. I then went for a test drive, and in 4hi the truck was back to normal.

That's the last time I have a friend tighten stuff on my truck and don't check it.

Last edited:

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I also forgot to mention that after I did the evap mod, I did the ECU reset, accelerator pedal release position reset, throttle valve closed position reset, and idle air volume learning procedure. Took a little time to get them all right, but I was able to make it happen, and I noticed a difference. I now have a little more low end power back and the truck is idling a bit smoother (to be fair it idled almost smooth as glass before). The power difference isn't major, but it's there. Keep in mind I'm running a 2 degree timing advance and just put in new spark plugs, so it all adds up a bit.

ECU reset et. al. are here: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-how-area/25118-how-ecu-reset-throttle-accelerator-position-learning.html

One last thing. I had driven in 4hi at highway speeds recently, and it was vibrating more than I was comfortable with. It vibrated a little bit before, but not as much. I thought perhaps my front drive shaft was out of balance, so I went to remove it a few days ago so I could have it rebalanced. I set about loosening the bolts at the differential yoke, and to my surprise the bolts were finger tight. My friend that had reinstalled the front shaft when we replaced the diff hadn't actually torqued the bolts! So I tightened them and checked all the driveshaft bolts. Luckily the four at the front were the only offenders. I then went for a test drive, and in 4hi the truck was back to normal.

That's the last time I have a friend tighten stuff on my truck and don't check it.

Holy moses, that's scary.

Awesome updates though. I commend you for all that technical stuff like those resets.

Also, I sold my CVT rooftop tent last year; ordering an Oztent RV3. Thanks for the inspiration :)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Holy moses, that's scary.

Awesome updates though. I commend you for all that technical stuff like those resets.

Also, I sold my CVT rooftop tent last year; ordering an Oztent RV3. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Yeah it was a bit of a frightening moment haha.

The resets were pretty easy. Just needed a little time and patience. I was surprised by the difference it made, I'll be honest.

Awesome! The Oztent is an amazing setup. Quick, painless, and extremely durable. If you haven't ordered it yet, consider the RV-4. I love my RV-3 but there are days I wish I would have gone with the RV-4. It's $100 more and you get a bigger 7' 10" x 7' 10" space, compared to the RV-3's 7' 10" x 6' 6". It's a little bigger packed and a little heavier, but not much. Plus, if you do what I did and sign up for the ********'s Sporting Goods email list, I think you still get 10% off your first purchase, which would make the RV-4 the same price as the RV-3. Just a thought :)

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Yeah it was a bit of a frightening moment haha.

The resets were pretty easy. Just needed a little time and patience. I was surprised by the difference it made, I'll be honest.

Awesome! The Oztent is an amazing setup. Quick, painless, and extremely durable. If you haven't ordered it yet, consider the RV-4. I love my RV-3 but there are days I wish I would have gone with the RV-4. It's $100 more and you get a bigger 7' 10" x 7' 10" space, compared to the RV-3's 7' 10" x 6' 6". It's a little bigger packed and a little heavier, but not much. Plus, if you do what I did and sign up for the ********'s Sporting Goods email list, I think you still get 10% off your first purchase, which would make the RV-4 the same price as the RV-3. Just a thought :)

I swear, my first studio apartment must have been smaller than the RV4. Just looked up the dimensions. Phew, that's a big boy. I'll definitely consider it! Gotta see if it will fit in my Thule roof box.

MNCarl

The Moose
Is it comm ? CB Radio ? ..I know you mentioned getting a smaller handheld ....
I cannot decide between the Cobra 75WXST and the Midland 75-822.
You also mentioned moving your CB antenna from your front bumper to ?
Is there a reason you dont want the CB antenna on your front bumper?
I am thinking of mounting the CB antenna on the lower or upper part of the tailgate gap.
Like:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/cb-antenna-project-197993/
or
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...-options-w-tonneau-cover-noob-question-56948/

Most likely with a Spring, Quick disconnect and Wilson Flex antenna.
But I am concerned about the antenna bouncing/flexing and hitting the topper "then I what" put a tennis ball on the antenna.... LOL

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Is it comm ? CB Radio ? ..I know you mentioned getting a smaller handheld ....
I cannot decide between the Cobra 75WXST and the Midland 75-822.
You also mentioned moving your CB antenna from your front bumper to ?
Is there a reason you dont want the CB antenna on your front bumper?
I am thinking of mounting the CB antenna on the lower or upper part of the tailgate gap.
Like:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/cb-antenna-project-197993/
or
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...-options-w-tonneau-cover-noob-question-56948/

Most likely with a Spring, Quick disconnect and Wilson Flex antenna.
But I am concerned about the antenna bouncing/flexing and hitting the topper "then I what" put a tennis ball on the antenna.... LOL

One of the things I just bought was the Cobra 75. Great little radio that will clean up the interior a little bit. Besides, my current radio is fried I think. I'll be buying a handheld CB and a handheld HAM at some point in the future too.

Antenna is going nowhere. It's the perfect spot and it works really well. I'll be putting the HAM antenna near the driver's side A-pillar, like this one.

c6IdnKDh.jpg

I like the tailgate lip mount idea. Should work fairly well there, though I doubt you'll need a spring. Remember, your topper is fiberglass, so it won't cause much interference with the antenna that I can imagine. Also, one of the thicker Firestik fiberglass antennas (not the Firefly) would barely flex at all. Haha then you wouldn't need the tennis ball. I'd recommend the four foot one to get a good amount above the cap. Quick disconnect for when you're not using it is a good idea too.

This seems to have become an impromptu Nissan hangout. Maybe someone can bring some beer and chips?

Sent from the Mountains

Here I brought the beer. Hope you like local stuff.

KZUcbtJh.jpg

Stay as long as you like. Plenty of room in here! Now who's bringing snacks? :friday:

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
One of the things I just bought was the Cobra 75. Great little radio that will clean up the interior a little bit. Besides, my current radio is fried I think. I'll be buying a handheld CB and a handheld HAM at some point in the future too.

Antenna is going nowhere. It's the perfect spot and it works really well. I'll be putting the HAM antenna near the driver's side A-pillar, like this one.

c6IdnKDh.jpg

I like the tailgate lip mount idea. Should work fairly well there, though I doubt you'll need a spring. Remember, your topper is fiberglass, so it won't cause much interference with the antenna that I can imagine. Also, one of the thicker Firestik fiberglass antennas (not the Firefly) would barely flex at all. Haha then you wouldn't need the tennis ball. I'd recommend the four foot one to get a good amount above the cap. Quick disconnect for when you're not using it is a good idea too.

Here I brought the beer. Hope you like local stuff.

KZUcbtJh.jpg

Stay as long as you like. Plenty of room in here! Now who's bringing snacks? :friday:
Typical everyone shows up takes the beer then leaves

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
you need to run a mount spring with a firestik antenna because they aren't flexible to allow them to move or you'll likely break it on a tree or something.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
you need to run a mount spring with a firestik antenna because they aren't flexible to allow them to move or you'll likely break it on a tree or something.
I bought the spring, bit removed it Becuase the antenna would whip and ********** into the side of the Xterra. (I have mine mounted on the rear corner) the Firestik seems to deflect quite a bit and hasn't broken or bent yet. I still carry the spring around, just on case.

Sent from the Mountains

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Typical everyone shows up takes the beer then leaves

Haha watchya talking about? This is still the Nissan hangout, there is plenty of beer!

I've had mine mounted to the bumper for a few years now without a spring and it flexes a good amount. This winter we had a fairly thick layer of ice on my driveway and I was dragging it going into my garage every day. No problems really.

MNCarl

The Moose
wreckdiver , Trikebubble, Thanks for the feedback.
And Blackdawg yes it is the trees I am concerned about.
I am in Minnesota and unless I am in a dedicated ORV park this is what we have for offroading "pin striper" trails:
DSC_0059_zpssberdzbi.jpg

Trikebubble

Adventurer
wreckdiver , Trikebubble, Thanks for the feedback.
And Blackdawg yes it is the trees I am concerned about.
I am in Minnesota and unless I am in a dedicated ORV park this is what we have for offroading "pin striper" trails:
DSC_0059_zpssberdzbi.jpg
That is some think brush. I see what you mean there.

Sent from the Mountains

Trikebubble

Adventurer

I don't recall if you mentioned, but where did you access the front cv axle to differential bolts? I think each axle takes 6 of them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater