Looking at a new Dodge, help me decide!!! (Power Wagon vs Cummins)

2500 Power Wagon or 3500 Cummins

• Power Wagon

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Cummins

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • buy several tons of bacon!!!!

Votes: 20 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
trailbound: Thanks bro! I have been loving it so far! I still feel a twinge of regret at not buying the 2012 Cummins stick shift I was looking at (especially considering my area is crawling with lifted Cummins rigs) BUT, I think this will work out better for me, not having to worry about all the emissions garbage! Plus, my wife is a LOT happier with this truck (she was dead set against diesel and can't drive a stick) so, that counts for a lot too! Plus, as far as I know, I have got the only Power Wagon in my area! (I've never seen another one on the road! I like having a unique vehicle!)

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
After talking with Carli Suspensions, I am sold! I plan on getting their 3" starter kit (minus shocks, I'll run my stockers until I can afford some bling ones), with control arms, track bar, and full rear springs. Should give me .75" front lift and .5-1" rear lift but some extra travel, a nice ride, and room for 37's! So, I think I have made up my mind suspension wise BUT, I am completely undecided on tires!!!!!!!!

I have been researching tires like mad but, it gets difficult because a lot of the tire threads I've found are dominated by drivers of light weight rigs. Seems to me that works great for a Jeep may well be a big mistake for a 7000lb (empty weight) pig like my truck! So, I am looking for 37x12.50R17 OR 37x13.50R17 Load range D or E tires (load range not a big deal, the actual weight rating IS as I have seen Ds that handle more weight than Es) in a mud terrain tread pattern that will work great for a heavy rig! It is my DD (about 12k miles a year), it is likely going to be wheeled at least once a month (hopefully more), mostly on a mix of clay mud and rocks.

My top ideas as of right now:
37x13.50R17 Toyo Open Country (I am concerned about clearance with such wide tires though (rubbing issues))
and
37x12.50R17 Goodyear MTRK's (somewhere in my searching somebody mentioned they'd make a terrible choice for a big truck but I never saw a why?????)

I am also completely open to other suggestions!!!! Thanks!!!!!!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Have you checked the ACTUAL width of the Toyos vs MTRKs? I'm not sure if they are truly an inch different. My vote will still go for Toyos. They have really really impressed me!

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
redthies: What kind of rig have you been running Toyos on?
For the width- I just checked! Goodyear lists width at 12.5", Toyo lists width at 14.6"!!!:Wow1:
It may not be apples to apples though, Toyo lists a wider max wheel width so, the tires may be measured on a wider wheel. (measurement wheel width is not listed on Toyo. Goodyear lists the measurements as being done on a 10" wide wheel) I will say this though- I've seen it said that they Toyos measure 14" wide on an 8" wide wheel! (informally measured though)

I dunno, I think this much greater width may knock the Toyos out of the running, I'd like something that doesn't rub the control arms TOO much and that can tuck up into the wheelwells when the truck flexes.

So, anybody got suggestions for 37x12.50R17 mud terrains for a heavy pig of a truck????

Inline6

Adventurer
I've been considering the Toyos for my next tire. I am also a bit concerned with the width and rubbing, have not done it yet.

I use to put a good 12k a year on the truck and the BFGs have served me well.

Mine on old school BFG mt 37/12.5/17s, on H2 wheels, 17/8.5.
IMG_2860.jpg

I also ran some weld wheels with the same tire, a bit of a different offset
truck.jpg

Posted this pic because you may need to push the axle forward a bit for the 37s. You can see how the wheel is not centered in the wheel well. I did some fender mods to help with the clearance. With longer control arms it should not matter, also may help with the possible rubbing with the Toyos.

I also have some 37/12.5/17 new school BFGs on 8.5wide wheels, they appear to be the same width, as do the other set of MTRks on 8.5wide wheels. They all appear to be the same height and width. Thinking they would be fine. I should line em all up and take pictures next time I have em all off. (All my rigs run the same size tire)

Ok, I just posted pics cause it's fun.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My truck is a 97 F350 crew longbox with 7.3 diesel. It weighs 7800 lbs empty. I put the Toyos on in July and have done around 8000 miles. They are awesome on the highway, in the Az and Co mtns and I have been super impressed with them in our wet coastal snow.

I agree that most of their sizes are on the wider end of where I would like them. My friend has the 37s on his 2012 Dodge 1500 with 6" lift. I don't know how different things are from the PWs solid axle to the 1500s IFS, but the wheel wells on the 1500 are quite full of tire. It is a diameter thing more than width. I'm sure Carli has mounted 37" Toyos on a truck or two that is in their shop. They might know how it would work.

I'm not sure how much snow you get in your part of NC, but if it isn't too much, I also think the BFG KM2s are a good tire. They are quiet on road, and do well off pavement. I really didn't like their snow performance, but I am looking at them for my future Dodge dually as they are the only tire made in the size I want. I will sipe them if I end up going that route.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Inline6: That is a gorgeous truck you've got there!!!! Thanks for the reply, I really wish BFG still made the old school mud terrains. I had them on 3 different vehicles and loved them! For the centering of the wheel, I plan on running either Carli or Thuren control arms. (both are longer than stock) Since you have new BFGs and MTRKs, I gotta ask- which do you like better? Also, do the BFGs really run smaller than the MTRKs? Thanks!

redthies: Thanks for the info on the Toyos bro! Yeah, I wish they were narrower as their width is all that makes me hesitant to run them! CArli has bunches of trucks that run 37s, the only thing is most of them are diesel, from what I have been reading the Power Wagons get enough additional articulation that what works fine on a Cummins might be a ton of rubbing on a Wagon. The KM2s I am hesitant to run as everything I have read points to them running small for their size, if I pay for a 37, I want a 37, LOL! We'll see what redthies comes up with in measurements!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've been considering the Toyos for my next tire. I am also a bit concerned with the width and rubbing, have not done it yet.

I use to put a good 12k a year on the truck and the BFGs have served me well.

Mine on old school BFG mt 37/12.5/17s, on H2 wheels, 17/8.5.
IMG_2860.jpg

I also have some 37/12.5/17 new school BFGs.
Ok, I just posted pics cause it's fun.

Pics are always fun! I am not thrilled that BFG doesn't offer the KM MT anymore. They were a bit noisier than the "new school" KM2s, but they worked really well in snow, and wore well too. I would buy KMs 9x out of 10 over KM2s. You used to live in Wa? Where is the pic taken?

Inline6

Adventurer
Thanks for the complements.

For reference my truck has the Lorenz 2.5 suspension package. SAW 2.5" resivour shocks all around. I went round and round back in 05 when I did the suspension. No regrets. Looks like he is not doing the same setup any more. Thinking thuren might be my choice now. Although I do have carli airbags out back. For arms, take a look at Rokmen as well. I have their arms on the JKU and they do a good job. Ill either out theirs on the truck or make some of my own when I swap out my LAs on the TJ for aluminum arms in the next few months.

This weekend I will pull out the 4 different 37s I have and do a size comparison. Old style BFG KM (from dodge), new style BFG KM2 (from TJ now on JKU), old style MTK (new spare on truck), MTRk ( just put on the TJ). The KMs are fairly worn, km2s about 50%, MTRs both about new. Should be interesting. That and my back needs a workout moving them all around. Traveling this week or I would do it sooner.

Redthies, the beach pic was from Ft Stephens back during the "wind storm" (hurricane) back about 5 years ago. I was off that day and decided to go to the beach and see what might of washed up on shore. There was nothing but sea foam, not the kind for the engine. The other pic is from some forrest service roads in the cascades east of washougal. Moved to atlanta a couple years back and now the truck seems to spend more time parked and towing then out exploring.

n2dfire

Observer
2012-04-30 19.00.15.jpgtruck3.jpgcactus flat3.jpgHere is my 08 Power Wagen

6 inch bds long arm kit up front
stock leafs out back with 3 inch blocks...
bds/fox shocks
35 x12.50 Nitto Trail Grabber MT on black rhino rims

The truck runs smooth as butter on road and a beast off.....very happy with this set up!

By the way nice truck Inline6!

Last edited:

crismateski

American Adventurist
I have been contemplating tires for mine as well. Everyone on Dodge talk and Power wagon registry has been very happy with the toyos, and that is what Carli runs on all of their trucks. Most likely the way I will go, although I like the looks of the Mikey Thompson MTZ

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I ran the MTZs in a 35" on my Tundra. They were fine, but the Toyo MT is a better tire in every way. There is a reason why they are so popular!

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
I ran the MTZs in a 35" on my Tundra. They were fine, but the Toyo MT is a better tire in every way. There is a reason why they are so popular!
i ran the 37 toyos on a toyota and wasnt impressed, they are so heavy it really killed the ride quality, too much unsprung weight for a light rig, i could see them working good on a heavy rig though. i went with the mtr k's on my dodge because i was really impressed with them on my previous rig. they air down really nice and they are pretty tough for as light as they are, they probably wont last as long as the toyos, but they work pretty damn good offroad.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Thanks for all the responses and info everybody!!!

inline6: Thanks bro! Nice to have some info from somebody that has all those tires at hand!!! WOW! Thanks a lot for all your help! You rock!!!

n2dafire: WOW! You've got a monster truck right there!!! Looks awesome! Do you feel stable wheelin with it that high though? From your pics, it looks like BDS does a much more equal arm length for 3rd gens then they do for the 4th gen lift, 4th gen upper arms appear to be way shorter than the lowers. Are yours as equal length as they look? How have your bushings been holding up? I read where a lot of people were having to change their long arms' bushings quite often! Thanks for the pics and the info!!!!

crismateski: Yeah, the Toyos seem to get great reviews!!! Seems like they are bigger than they are sized at though so, be wary of that!

redthies: Did the MTZ's do pretty okay though? It looks like I may need an alternative to the Toyos, they run awfully big! (37x13.50R17 comes in a 14.6" actual width according to Toyo's website!!! I'm afraid that's gonna just be too wide!)

leelikesbikes: Yeah, they Toyos seem to be really heavy! Beefy though! I may be seriously considering MTRK's since they are 12.6" wide according to Goodyear (IIRC that was the spec) so, a whole 2" skinnier than the Toyos. The more I research, the more I concerned about the width of the Toyos.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The MTZs were fine. A bit noisier on highway, but as far as offroad I haven't had them in all the same situations yet. I have run both in wet rock/dirt (Toyos win), snow (Toyos win), highway (Toyos win), damn, there's a theme developing here... I have to admit that it's been a few years since I ran the Micky Ts, and would love to compare them side by side. Maybe just run a 35" Toyo?

Honestly, they are all pretty close. You have the right truck, just go enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3