Looking at a new Dodge, help me decide!!! (Power Wagon vs Cummins)

2500 Power Wagon or 3500 Cummins

• Power Wagon

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Cummins

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • buy several tons of bacon!!!!

Votes: 20 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
redthies: Thanks for the info bro! SO.... I take it that the Toyos.... win? LOL! Looks like they are the best choice, I just wish they weren't so dang wide!!!

I am researching the heck outta some lifts to figure out a way to fit the 37" Toyos under my truck, still have full suspension travel, and not break the bank- it's a tough search!!! I can find 2 outta 3 all day long, no problem! It's trying to find all 3 that's giving me fits!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the heck outta the truck! I just need some better breakover angle, I was dragging belly a LOT out on the trails!!!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
As I said, it's been a while since I ran the MTZs, but from recent experiences, the Toyos are a great tire. I used to be a hardcore BFG guy, but I'm guzzling the Toyo cool-aid now!

n2dfire

Observer
swansea1.jpgcactusflats.jpgphonepics1 265.jpgcactus flat10.jpginline6

It does seem a bit high, as of yet for the trails that I have been running it is not a problem, that said I am running in the desert mostly, and find in the steep areas the sway bar disconnect is invaluable along with the amount of flex that I am getting out of the suspension...remember the factory Power Wagen has a 3 inch lift over the stock 2500......so the lift is 3 inches taller. the long arms are pretty much equal, and I have not had any bushing problems, but the joints are greasable in the arms as well. I will keep you posted.....I will put up some pics but the truck is at dodge today getting the front locker adjusted and that is a huge long story...but I will make it short..the front locker actuated in 2wd ripping off the dog ears siezing the front axel,1200 dollar tow, 3600 dollar parts and labor, after the fix, the locker is not actuatiing, so hopefully today I get it back and all is good....this happened almost a year ago. It is avery rare occurance but I am not alone in this event.

Last edited:

n2dfire

Observer
got my truck back last night, parked it, went out this morning and backed out my drive way five feet, now it siezed up again, wont go forward or backward, never touched the 4wd system swaybar disconnect or lockers, parked it and called the dealer who is sending a tow......happy times!

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
redthies: Lol! Looks like Toyo makes good cool-aid though!!!

n2dafire: Thanks for the info and pics! OUCH!!! That sucks about your front locker! I hope they get it all worked out for you pronto!!! (I hope also that it was covered under warranty, or dang, that is a LOT of money out of pocket!!! YIKES!) Keep me posted!

n2dfire

Observer
So far it is all beem under warrenty.........since it was fixed a year ago. Right now I am thinking about taking the front locker out all together, and putting in manual locking hubs.......just waiting to see what the dealer says....The worst part of it all is that I dont have faith in the front axel at all and I am afraid to go anywhere, especially adventuring with my wife and young ones.....I was lucky the first time it broke in that they were not with me.....and the dealer has enough man hours in it to where it would have been easier/cheaper to replace the whole front axel all together, I already paid for it, in otherwords the cost roughly equal......but now they would have been way ahead.

Inline6

Adventurer
I converted my front axle to with the dynatrac free spin kit. Quite a bit of work, but I am happy with it. I needed to do ball joints and stuff, so while I was at it...

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
n2dafire: Yeah, I would have thought they would have just replaced the whole thing. I can't imagine it being in good shape in there after such a catastrophic failure!!! I'm glad it was covered under warranty for you!!! I too am eventually considering the free spin conversion. It isn't on my immediate mods list but, it is one the future list! (it may be knocked a couple pegs up in priority now after reading about your troubles!) Hope they get it all squared away for you soon!

Inline6: did you have to clearance anything to make it fit? I read on an install somewhere that they had to grind down some part (been a while so I can't recall what) because it wasn't fitting together right. Also, did you see any MPG difference?

On a totally separate note: Yesterday I took my JK's 35" spare off and walked it over to the Power Wagon (parked right beside it so, by walk I mean waddled two steps whilst holding a spare since I didn't want to set it down only to pick it back up!), I discovered that mounting the spare is going to be a bigger challenge than I thought! It's become clear in my readings that a true 35" or larger won't fit under the rearend of the truck anymore, I don't want a swingout bumper mount so, that leaves in the bed. I have 3 potential positions (all are vertical so as not to use up a ton of bedspace):

flat against the front of the bed, biased to the driver's side:
Pros: Looks awesome! Leaves the most useable bed space! Easy mount to fab!
Con: Can't see anything but the spare out the rearview mirror

Along the driver's bedside off the floor of the bed to clear the wheel well:
Pros: Doesn't eat up much bedspace, can't even see it out the rearview mirror (no view blockage)
Cons: Complicated mount to fab, looks kinda awkward, will likely stick out above the cab slightly with a 37" (mock was 35")

Along the the driver's bedside but more inward bias so that tire tread is on bed floor:
Pros: Easy mount to fab, can barely see it out the rearview mirror (minimal view blockage)
Cons: Eats up a good sized chunk of bed space, looks quite awkward
Feature: can squeeze a storage box into the wasted space between the sidewall and the bedside and mount maybe a compressor and compact air tanks there.

How are y'all that have pickups who's spares won't fit under the bed anymore carrying your spares?

Also, found out (by rolling the Jeep's standard 35 next to the Power Wagon's metric 33), I really don't think 35's are gonna cut it for me, it's just not enough of a size gain for me to feel it worth it to shell out about $2k on tires, IMO!

Last edited:

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I may have stumbled across another mounting idea! H1 Hummer pickup folding bed mount, example:
http://hummerpartspeople.com/Search...04&productdesc=Bed+mounted+spare+tire+carrier
Doubt I'll find one at a price I'd want to pay. (this was the least expensive I've found, the other prices have been even more $$$!) So, may end up imitating the design. It's cool in that it can be folded up or down. It would still have all the cons of design number 3 idea though. But, something to think about! OR, I could run it in the middle of the front of the bed and run it tire down typically until such time as I need extra space and run tire up. (in full rear window blocking position, LOL!)

Theres's an army surplus junkyard not that far from me, I might could see if he has any. I'm kinda thinking they may be a bit rare to find though. (considering most military and civvy H1's I've seen run a swingout bumper mount spare carrier.

Inline6

Adventurer
No grinding for the free spin kit. The only issue I had was the ujoints. The kit used the AAM ujoint, not a standard d60 joint. I was sent the wrong joints, based on what the vender knew. Not a huge deal, just another week of delay.

As for the tire problem, a couple options.
Buy an air compressor and let enough air out somitnfits under the bed.
Don't run a full size spare and swap tires around if you have a flat, not optimal
I looked at a bed mount and was going to make one, never got to it.

I ended up picking up a used tiregate a couple years ago. I works we'll and I can have the tire in the bed or out of the bed. It works well. I like that I can see through it as I backup and run over Honda civics, lol. I don't like the fact that it is open when I haul lumber in the bed. Always worried things are going to slip out. It's an easy fix if I ever decide to fab anything up.

The only pic I have of the gate, hmmm weird I seem to have pics of everything.
SANY0002.jpg

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
redthies: Yeah, at that price I believe I'll try to make something similar rather than buying!

Inline6: Thanks for the info and pics! You really do have a pic for everything!!! Great looking tow rig/trail rig combo you've got there! I thought about the idea of trying to mash a slightly uninflated tire in the stock spot as I plan on having a compressor anyway, I just wonder how much of a pain it would be to wrestle it in and out from under the truck? I considered the slightly undersized spare idea too but, wouldn't it cause the truck's traction control and ABS to freak out? Part of me is liking the bed mount spare idea though since I don't want to have to be rummaging around under the truck if I am in mud or a sketchy offroad spot. Although, on the other hand, I don't like the idea of the cargo space lost so, it's a toss up. I love the tire gates like what you've got but, dang, they are pricey!!! I kinda like my tailgate too, it's the only Power Wagon badge I have on my truck!

Inline6

Adventurer
Not going to get the tire comparison done this weekend, life got in the way. Ok, a jeep trip and a beer festival tomorrow.

Next weekend.

ripperj

Explorer
Mr. 87- did you ever get your suspension?
I have a 2012 2500 Hemi. I spoke with Don T for a while and he suggested a pretty neat combo of things(yet to be purchased.)
You know the guy is pretty honest when he recomends a competitors product! (Don does not make coils for a hemi)
Don suggested for my application: Carli coils front and Carli minipack for the rear. Don's adjustable shackles and his valved Fox 2.0 shocks along with his track bar.
I told him I was mostly looking for small increase in height(mostly level out the truck) with more suspension articulation, while not reducing the payload much (mine is around 2400#)
I intend to have some sort of camper or RTT with kitchen/bath in a cap shell
Just my 2 cents.

EDIT- i forgot the important part- I told Don I wanted the truck to handle washboard type road conditions better(ie not have my teeth fall out ;))

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal