Looking at a new Dodge, help me decide!!! (Power Wagon vs Cummins)

2500 Power Wagon or 3500 Cummins

• Power Wagon

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Cummins

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • buy several tons of bacon!!!!

Votes: 20 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
ripperj: That sounds like a good setup to me!!! That is very cool that Don will recommend what is best for you rather than just what is best for his sales! Very respectable!!! I am looking pretty similar, although since I have a Power Wagon, I was told the minipack won't work in the rear, i need replacement springs. Sounds like you a re going to have a VERY nice setup there, and very close to what I am likely going with! SWEET!!!

Well, today I committed myself to 37s- I bought a set of 5 Goodyear MTRKs in 37x12.50R17, should be in next week!!! Now I just need to decide what exact suspension I want, and order it so I can fit them!!! :sombrero:

MrSandman818

INaVANdownBYtheRIVER
Cummins dude

I have a 05 with the cummins. Get a long travel kit from top gun customz for 1600 and youll have 11"s of travel (3/4" more than the power wagon) then free up the intake and exhaust and you can get up to 24mpg (when driving like a grandma) But i get around 22.5 on the highway when running between 70-80mph. Plus I can still tow 30k lbs. power wagons gonna get 12mpg and wont be able to tow as much. If your going to wheel a lot id say stay away from the manuals, they are more reliable but offroading with a manual trans in a diesel sucks. especially in sand.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
MrSandman818: I'll check them out! Thanks! Yeah, I bought a Power Wagon so, I get a nice even 10mpg thus far!!! I wish it had a manual transmission but, they only come with autos. I don't hit sand very often (wish I did more, I had a blast wheeling on the beach the one time I got to), mostly dirt, rocks, and a little mud. (try to avoid the mud though!) I've done a little wheeling with a stick shift (my 87 Jimmy I had) and found it very pleasant BUT, it did have a 117:1 crawl ratio so, that helped out a lot!!!

continentaldrifter: from what I have been reading, the consensus seems to be that they are worth every penny. They offer less expensive options, you can do a 6" lift for $5000 something, it mostly depends on the shock options, they do some VERY high end shocks in their more expensive packages. The videos and testimonials of what those trucks can do though- WOW!!! No way I would have thought an 8000lb mega cab could be slung around like they do!!!

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Picked up my tires today!!!

Bed full of tires:
photo-22_zps4789a915.jpg

Bet y'all can't guess which set is for my buddy's neon and which set is for my truck! LOL!
photo-20_zps7b617010.jpg

They're a bit bigger than stock! (granted, they aren't mounted):
photo-23_zps839ad4f0.jpg

A little bit of day dreaming! (still have to decide on a lift):
photo-21_zpsa261eb76.jpg

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Man I am liking those tires. Can't wait to see them mounted on that thing once you get it lifted. I am still going back and forth as to whether or not I could get away with load range D tires on my diesel............

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Inline6: Thanks!!!

Saiyan66: Thanks! I can't wait to have my truck all set up!!! Honestly, if I had a diesel, I would likely steer clear of load range D tires or at the very least be VERY selective about which to run. From what I have read, some people find the lower load rated tires have a disconcerting squirmy feeling when you've got a lot of cargo in the truck or are towing a heavy trailer. (oddly, I have seen some load range E tires that have lower actual pound capacity rating than some load range D tires so, may not be a HUGE concern as to letter rating, more a concern of pounds rating???) From what I have been reading, it seems like Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains are pretty much the best bet for running on a lifted diesel. I would have actually run them on my truck if it weren't for two factors:
1. They are wider (13.50 but, in reality more like 14!) and their width to me was a concern for fitment on a flexy truck like a Power Wagon. (I've seen MANY diesels run them on the same lift height I intend to have, and they would seem to fit 100% fine)
2. They are more expensive. (though, it would seem some people have gotten some good deals here lately so... ?)
In all honesty, I don't know how well these MTRKs are going to hold up under the weight of even a Power Wagon, the reviews I have read are a pretty mixed bag. They are the size I want and I got a pretty good deal on them so, I decided to go for it and run them!!!

Mark Haley: They MAY possibly fit with no lift for street driving (with only a little rubbing), but, I've read that they won't fit stock without a TON of rubbing if I take the truck offroad at all. I was supposed to be doing some trail riding this weekend so, I didn't put them on. I still haven't 100% decided what direction I am going to take suspension wise so, I am going to hold off on putting the tires on the truck until after I lift it, that way I am not stuck with a truck that can't go wheeling! (even after I decide on suspension and order it, it may be up to a month before it comes in)

I'll post up some more pics when the parts start coming in and going on, also (before that), if I can get some good trail ride pics, I might just post up some of them too!!! (even though it'll still be stock, it does pretty well off pavement!!!)

Last edited:

n2dfire

Observer
Here is a update......Ok, So last week I brought the truck in for the front locker adjustment......Dodge was able to get the air gap adjusted and the locker is working great...at least so I am told. I have not been able to test it yet....So I pick the truck up at 6 in the evening on Thursday last week and drive it home. The next morning I am backing down my driveway and the front axel siezed up again! It would not roll in any direction. I didn't have a chance to put the truck in 4wd nor did I touch any of the switches for the 4wd system. Turns out the Pinion Gear bearing blew up.....for the second time. It was replaced March of last year, The good news is that it is covered under warrenty! I absolutely love this truck but I am being to doubt if I can truely trust it. Its still with the dealer....:Wow1: On a side note the dealer builds jeeps and trucks so working on modified rigs is nothing new to them, and they are awsome about honoring warrentys on modified rigs...even ones they did not build!:wings:

Attachments

• 2012-04-30 19.00.15.jpg
    2012-04-30 19.00.15.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
n2dfire: Holy crap dude!!! I am really sorry to hear about all the troubles you are having!!!! Good God that's a gorgeous looking truck you have there though! (even if it is apparently wanting to turn itself into a static driveway decoration!) I am glad for you that your dealer is cool with working on modded trucks! That is VERY helpful!!!!

If it makes you feel better:

On tuesday, I brought my truck into the dealer due to a drivetrain clunk- they kept my truck for 3 hours and were unable to find the cause and sent me on my way! They said they'd try to look up if other trucks have had the problem and what other dealers have done to deal with it. (I hit 1000 miles on the odometer on my way up to the dealer to get them to look at it.

Then..... at 30 days and 1200 miles...as of today (it is past midnight here), I have had my Power Wagon for a month. As soon as I wake up I will either try to limp it to the dealer or get it towed there. (still debating which) On tuesday of this week, I hit 1000 miles on the odo as I was driving it up to the dealer to get the clunk in the driveline that made itself known that day diagnosed. They recreated the clunk but couldn't find the cause and returned the truck to me. I the days after they returned it to me, I noticed two odd new things:
1) the t-case shifter handle seemed to move a lot as I gave the truck gas and let off
2) the steering seemed to feel odd
I dismissed both of these as being paranoia, figuring that I was just looking for faults where there were none since my faith in the truck had been shaken.

The t-case shifter moves a LOT when I get on/let off the gas (can actually watch it move as I shift)- under hard throttle, it will move back to the point where it sits when shifted into 4wd! I can see some movement being normal but I am concerned because a)I don't recall seeing it move before and b)although I would expect some movement since it is mechanically connected, this seems excessive. I would guess a bad mount that lets the t-case shift when torque is applied so the handle moves up, then the resistance of the boot translates the upward movement into a rearward movement???

Prior to the visit to the dealer, the steering felt fine, after- The steering felt oddly VERY dead on center, with subtle corrections- me moving the wheel VERY easily but seemingly not actually turning the tires (a friend also verified the same feeling tonight but, more on that in a minute), and actually finding myself driving with the wheel at an angle to drive straight. Accompanying this was a feeling of bump steer- road irregularities yielding direction changes. At first I dismissed these as a combo of road crown, bad roads, and paranoia, UNTIL I went to pull into the row of parking at my favorite mexican restaurant- I suddenly lost power steering boost (or the ability to fully steer, IDK which since once I felt a lot of resistance, I didn't push the issue) and made a wider turn than I had anticipated. But, then I tried again and steering felt fine (???), all throughout dinner I debated getting a tow truck or limping the truck home. Finally decided to limp the truck home but let my buddy drive to see if I was just paranoid or if it felt to him like the truck was having more than just that one momentary problem. He verified that it felt quite odd to drive, and he found himself having to overcorrect to compensate for vagueness and had to keep the wheel angled to go straight. (so it's not just me then)

SO... into the dealer it goes... AGAIN!!!

I am debating as to whether I should try and limp it there, or get it towed. I am also trying to figure out something in the way of an explanation as to ****** is going on with my truck, any thoughts? Anybody had all this go on?

I am seriously wishing that Ram did the same as some other brands do and had the you can return it if you've had it for 30 days or less and didn't like it rule- this truck (much as I love it when it is doing good) would be getting turned back in!!!!!!!!!!!!

So... yeah... it's going in for service tomorrow morning, for the second time in a month!!!! AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Geez! That sucks! Both you and n2dfire have gorgeous trucks. Hope you guys get these issues worked out.

i say drive it.....you've got a warranty, its brand new......run it till it blows, NOW they've found the problem....If this is not to your liking, file a claim with the Lemon Law and get out from underneath it asap. I have never done that, but with these symptoms staring this early with less than 1000 miles, you may want to hold back on doing any mods if its not going to be staying with you very long......this is just my view. I hope it shows up and they get you rollin. Good fortune

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal