Looking at a new Dodge, help me decide!!! (Power Wagon vs Cummins)

2500 Power Wagon or 3500 Cummins

• Power Wagon

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Cummins

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • buy several tons of bacon!!!!

Votes: 20 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

n2dfire

Observer
87GMCJimmy..Sorry to hear about that....Just some info, the handle moving is normal, mine has always done that....its kinda of freaky to see it do that. and it seems like it moves quite a bit at times. As far as the steering...bring it back to ram and dont take it back untill its tip top, the thing is brand new.....make them give you a loaner vehicle on top of that! Draw a line in the sand and dont budge, but kill them with kindness, like bring donuts.....wish you all the best!! Keep us in the know.

rebar

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about all the trouble. Id be all over the dealer for a replacement. Not a repair.

Then again, Id be down the street at another dealer because the only thing going for dodge at the moment is the cummins IMO

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Post #12
Just a quick update:
Dropped it off at the dealer. Dealer asked if I could go for a quick drive to duplicate the problems for him, as I went to make the u-turn to get out of service department, the front end starting clunking and popping quite audibly, at which point he said "don't worry about the drive, just back it back up into the parking area". So, at least the truck is being good in that it is not intermittent issue so, hopefully easier to fix.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
They say they have solved the problem, a bent track bar bolt? How exactly it would get bent, without damaging anything else??? They say they are going to take one out of a truck on the lot that way I don't have to wait for it to come in on order. That explains the steering problems, and the front end clunking. Heck, maybe the all the clunking has been from it.

Still doesn't explain why the t-case lever moves so much, they said that is normal though. Idk, seems a bit excessive to me. (never seen one that moved that much before but, whatever)

n2dfire

Observer
At least its an easy fix....The t case lever moves around on mine as well. I am not sure why either, but with 456 gears and the hemi there is a mountain of torque going through there. Hope it gets back to you with no further issues. The power wagens are truely amazing vehicles, I have taken mine everywhere my jeep JK went aside from size limitations. When it works they kick ***. The AAM axels are great axeles as well (except my front axel)...Having the roominess, and luxury of a texas limo, and the capability of a jeep rubicon has been alot of fun for us.cactus flat10.jpg

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
n2dafire: these trucks do have some sweet equipment don't they?! I LOVE the looks of your truck, I hope you get your front axle situation resolved!

Thanks for the input on the t-case lever movement, I guess I needn't worry about it. Cool.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Quick update:
Called the dealer this morning, turns out it was the bolt on the axle end of the trackbar, it bent somehow. I asked them to save the bolt so I can have a look at it. They said they only saw a tiny scratch on the bracket so, good to go with a new bolt. They decided to take a bolt off a truck on the lot, So, I'll have my truck back today.

n2dfire

Observer
Quick Update for mine, It is fixed and put back together. They want to keep it until tomarrow, while they test everything out and make sure it all good to go. They replaced the Pinion Gear Bearing. I am keeping my fingures crossed. I know that it will probably never be an issue again. In the back of my mind I will always wonder, will it get me there and back. I am thinking of selling it though in my mind I know I would be crazy to get rid of it! Any thoughts or advice? Dare I ask

Attachments

• truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 5

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I purchased a 2012 2500 Cummins Megacab Laramie 4x4 at the beginning of the month. I traded in my 2005 2500 Cummins Crewcab SLT 4x4. I love this new truck, a week after we got it home we had to take a 3k mile road trip and it was great in the new truck. All the bells and whistles on this thing are amazing! Especially coming from an SLT. The new longer length took a little getting used to but no biggie. The gas mileage on the new truck is not as good as the old truck. I got 14-15 in the new truck and used to get 19-20 in the old one (according to the computers). Now granted the new diesel has less then 5k on it still so we will see if it improves. I don’t tow much just like the power, I do tow my jeep on a trailer now and again to far away wheeling and we also have a pop-up but after having my 2005 diesel I will never go back to a gasser truck that’s why I went with the Cummins.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
n2dfire: that's a sweet flex shot!!! Glad to hear you'll be getting yours back soon!!! I would definitely keep your truck!!!! I'd say one of three ways can fix your lack of confidence in it that all these problems have made:
Either dynatrac no spin hub conversion (that way if your truck munches its front diff again you can still get home in 2wd) on your existing axle; or get a the dealer to put in a complete new front axle assembly altogether (they can order it) since it would seem that they are not adept at setting up gears), maybe you could also pop a manual hub conversion on it; or a complete replacement front axle with an ARB air locker and manual hubs (like a prorock 60, a Solid 60, or another company) that way you have a more reliable front diff so it's less likely to crunch and manual hubs in case it does.

If it ends up going in again, I believe that would make it 3 times with same problem? They'll probably be quite willing to go with option 2 (complete new factory front axle from wms to wms) since they are likely tired of dealing with it, lol!

I hope they've finally resolved things for you this time bro! Just don't get rid of that beautiful truck!!!!

Rock-Eater: sounds like you have a nice truck there! I sometimes find myself wishing I'd gotten the stick diesel I looked at, I do miss the sound, feel, and even smell of a diesel! I love my Power Wagon though!

n2dfire

Observer
Thanks for the input.....I am going to keep it, I was thinking pretty much what you said. I guess it is good to hear it from someone not invested in it.

crismateski

American Adventurist
you have to keep it, it looks too much like mine

file-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal