Looking for advice on first truck purchase

InLimbo

This is my first post, so I guess Ill say hi and dive right in... I've been browsing around on here off and on for a while. The wife and I are in the market for a truck. I'm hoping for some feedback, pros/cons, testimonials, etc, if you guys would be so kind.

Basic requirements:
Diesel
Able to fit at least 2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog, cargo...
4x4
Including upgrades and mods, All said and done: Under $10k

Just from looking on here for a few hours tonight I've gone from interest in 90's F350 Crewcab 7.3L's and FJ60/62's (ideally, w/ a diesel swap) to
'94-'99 Ram Extended Cab Diesel
80's Suburban w/ the 6.2

If theres something i'm missing, I'd love to hear about it. There are some great rigs on here, it makes it hard to decide where to start!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Look at the vehicles for sale forum here. billy bee has a 98.5 24 valve Cummins truck with a Flip-pac cap on it for a great price. I spoke with him for about an hour yesterday and it sounds like a great truck. The only issue you will want to look at right away is the AC isn't working properly. I think you might need that in AZ this time of year! He is in Arroyo Grande Ca. About 180 miles north of LA. He sounds like a great guy to do business with. Unfortunately I have a bit lower budget than you. He wants 8k for his rig, add a 2" leveling kit and some 35s and you would be SO set up! Good luck.

Welcome to Expo too! And I do love a suburban, but the 5.9 Cummins is THE engine!

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
With a 10k budget, you can get a VERY clean 7.3 Powerstroke right now.

The market is prime.

Rot Box

Explorer
I went with the Ford (link in my sig) because it was a true 4 door with a mechanically injected (personal preference) diesel engine and a five speed transmission. So far I am very happy with it. You should have no trouble finding a 7.3 IDI or 7.3 PSD four door on your budget. Kids and dogs are a pain in even the quad cab trucks and extended cabs are out of the question for me. What I'm trying to say is if you need a four door don't settle for anything else.

I would drive a few 6.2 suburbans and really read up on the engine before pulling the trigger on one. I like 6.2's but I know what they can and can't do and what to look out for. For some unknowing people that can make or break a happy relationship with one :coffeedrink:

Good luck keep us posted on your decision making.

D

Deleted member 9101

The only good thing about the 6.2 is you can swap it out with the 6.5..lol

1leg

Explorer
What do you plan to use the truck for? Off-roading, camping, towing, desert exploring. Will you drive it daily?
Can you do most of the repair work yourself?

I'm suburban guy myself but iwouldn't buy a 6.2 diesel unless I was planning to do 6.5 turbo or Cummins swap.

dragogt

Adventurer
Look at the vehicles for sale forum here. billy bee has a 98.5 24 valve Cummins truck with a Flip-pac cap on it for a great price. I spoke with him for about an hour yesterday and it sounds like a great truck. The only issue you will want to look at right away is the AC isn't working properly. I think you might need that in AZ this time of year! He is in Arroyo Grande Ca. About 180 miles north of LA. He sounds like a great guy to do business with. Unfortunately I have a bit lower budget than you. He wants 8k for his rig, add a 2" leveling kit and some 35s and you would be SO set up! Good luck.

Welcome to Expo too! And I do love a suburban, but the 5.9 Cummins is THE engine!

As far as OE, yep cant be beat... International dt360 is better though...

I went with the Ford (link in my sig) because it was a true 4 door with a mechanically injected (personal preference) diesel engine and a five speed transmission. So far I am very happy with it. You should have no trouble finding a 7.3 IDI or 7.3 PSD four door on your budget. Kids and dogs are a pain in even the quad cab trucks and extended cabs are out of the question for me. What I'm trying to say is if you need a four door don't settle for anything else.

I would drive a few 6.2 suburbans and really read up on the engine before pulling the trigger on one. I like 6.2's but I know what they can and can't do and what to look out for. For some unknowing people that can make or break a happy relationship with one :coffeedrink:

Good luck keep us posted on your decision making.

Agreed, check out http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92 Its the best place on the net for 6.2/ 6.5 info...

InLimbo

Thanks for the responses! I think we're going to go with the Suburban. The ability to get into a stock-ish truck for around $2,000 sounds appealing. We aren't looking to tow anytime soon, so uses would be off-road driving in the PNW mountains, Camping (preferably primitive), and in general, a utility vehicle that is also our SHTF/BOV. I'll do most of the work myself.

Looks like an already equipped diesel Sub might be harder to find. So we aren't opposed to buying a gasser down here in the SW before we move back north. I would just drive as a gas truck then try and do a swap within the next 6 months.

The 7.3L's are great looking trucks but I think we would have more of a budget for customization if we started modest with a Suburban.

So...

If you could pick a diesel swap for an 80's Suburban, which would it be, and why?

1leg

Explorer
For Suburbans the best one to look for is the 1991 3/4 ton, it will have the overdrive trans, all 1989-91 4x4 only had 350 or 6.2. Get one with the rear cargo doors. I got the tailgate and regret it everytime I go camping.

If i was going to start over I would have bought a 89-91 halfton with the 350 and overdrive auto and just swapped in the 1ton axels.

dragogt

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses! I think we're going to go with the Suburban. The ability to get into a stock-ish truck for around $2,000 sounds appealing. We aren't looking to tow anytime soon, so uses would be off-road driving in the PNW mountains, Camping (preferably primitive), and in general, a utility vehicle that is also our SHTF/BOV. I'll do most of the work myself.

Looks like an already equipped diesel Sub might be harder to find. So we aren't opposed to buying a gasser down here in the SW before we move back north. I would just drive as a gas truck then try and do a swap within the next 6 months.

The 7.3L's are great looking trucks but I think we would have more of a budget for customization if we started modest with a Suburban.

So...

If you could pick a diesel swap for an 80's Suburban, which would it be, and why?

4bt/ 6bt cummins or the Int. dt360..

The cummins is a proven power-train, that can make stump pulling torque or tire frying horsepower; That just about any 2bit backwoods hack can fix if need be.. (the 12v cummins has become the SBC of the diesel world)

The International dt360 is the same just a stronger starting point...

Also like stated above.. If you get a 'burb make sure it has a solid axle up front....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I used to have an 89 1500 suburban with the 350 and 700R4. It was a great rig! Put a Cummins in down the road and you are set. If you can get a solid front axle 3/4 ton with the barn doors that is the best bet. As stated before, do NOT get the tailgate version. The window winders ALWAYS fail.

wheelerfreak

The only good thing about the 6.2 is you can swap it out with the 6.5..lol

I wouldn't take a 6.2 or even a 6.5 unless it was given to me, and then I'd swap it to a gasser. I've driven both and they are not reliable, powerful, or fuel efficient, like the worst of all worlds.

For that budget I'd look at a 7.3l F350 supercab/crewcab, or a 94-98 Dodge extended cab. I'd skip the F250 due to the TTB, and you can go with the bed size of your choice. Both those diesels are good starting points though.

dragogt

Adventurer
They are not that bad... But hey are a Light Duty diesel and have to be treated as such...

But they can be made to run, check out the link I posted for the best info on the web for them....

bftank

Explorer
i agree with drago, we had and '84 6.2 burb that got between 18-20 mpg. it hauled 5 kids and camping gear in nw colorado just fine. wasn't a speed demon but it worked fine.

swap suggestions => cummins

6.5 had just as many problems as the 6.2 had.

2nd the barn doors.

D

Deleted member 9101

I am still trying to figure out the Cummins swap, I know its a great motor.. but for the cost you can build a big block chevy with the same tq for 1/4th the price of a swap. That leaves a while lot of gas and beer money left over at the end of the day. I know the Cummins will get better gas mileage, but the up front cost are insane compared to other options.

Don't get me wrong, a Cummins is great..but I'll take a cammed big block V-8 any day if I am paying for it...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven