Lowly the Lorry. . .

Sitec

Adventurer
I've not been here for a while and I have to say there's some impressive stuff happening in your workshop! It's really coming together eh!! Do you have a completion date you are working towards? :)

Lowly Update:

Just back from another trip down the Grand Canyon and the CNC router was busy while I was away. A van full of 12mm and 18mm Baltic birch plywood pieces was waiting my return:

IMG_1639.JPG

Many of these parts need secondary operations (bevels on the table saw or blind slots on the back side) so installation is still not ready to start.

In anticipation of the cabinetry going it, it was time to cut the remaining access hatch, shore power and water inlet holes in the habitat figuring it was easier to do without having to contort my body through cabinetry in order to cut out the interior sides!

IMG_1656.JPG

I measured measuring the to-be-installed components 3 more times to verify the correct layouts, checked their dimensions on the solid model, printed layout drawings of the cut lines and transcribed them onto the side of the habitat. I then used a combination of drill guide, 3/16" feeler bit, cordless drill, twin-bladed hole cutter, oscillating saw with diamond encrusted cutting disk, hacksaw blade and wood rasp to get the cutouts finished.

- Sheik

Lowly Update:

Part of the shop has been turned into a cabinet preparation workspace. The backside of a multitude of these components will need additional dados (the side that was faced down on the CNC router table). These will be achieved by layout drawings off the solid model, straight edges, clamps, pencils, lots of precision measuring, hand routers and prayers. Not a lot of room for error on these as I've exhausted my supply of plywood for this build!

IMG_1659.JPG

With all the parts stacked on the walls (18mm on the right, 12mm on the left) this portion of the build is daunting. I'm hoping all of the CAD that went into these parts will pay dividends when it comes to assembling inside the habitat.

- Sheik

Lowly Update:

As cabinetry component preparation continues the various 3D printed parts I've designed to integrate into the plywood cabinets were needing to be fabricated for test fitting purposes.

Mount brackets for the two types of water filter wrenches:
IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG

Mount bracket for the 50 micron water filter:
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG

Mount brackets for the 5 micron and carbon water filters:
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG

Magnetic insert mount tabs for vertically oriented access hatch:
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG

The 3D printer has been running almost continuously for the past few days and there's still many more components to make. Viva la additive manufacturing!

- Sheik

whomisi

Love this approach, I'm still on chassis prep but when I get stuck into the cad I intend to do it this way. Will watch with huge interest, I do need a reason to buy a cnc router! Thanks for sharing

Lowly Update:

Dry fitting of cabinet components continues.
IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

The interior sides of the electrical cabinet were laid out, components were distributed and their mounting holes marked/drilled for ease of installation once the cabinets are installed.
IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

The nerve wracking process of cabinet installation should begin shortly. Stay tuned.

- Sheik

Lowly Update:

Cabinet component installation has begun. Started with the front area of the habitat that contains the fresh water tank:
IMG_1743.JPG

Glueing these parts in place was like setting a cornerstone - hopefully they are in the correct place because everything else will be located off them! Water tank was then set in place:
IMG_1744.JPG

Tank was then wrapped and capped - the buildout of the cabinets around the tank will provide the bones to keep the weight of the full tank from moving around when the truck is in motion:
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1749.JPG

With the fresh water tank sealed in, drill jigs, hole saws, templates and a router was used to cut the 4 holes into the tank: depth indicator float, inlet, outlet and inspection port. The remaining small plywood hole is for a downward facing light to help provide a visual indication of tank level as well (viewing slots on plywood below, viewed from side looking thru cargo hatch).
IMG_1750.JPG

- Sheik

Lowly update:

Cabinet installation continues. Despite my best efforts to dial in the solid models while designing the cabinets there is enough out-of-square-ness in the CNC cut cabinet parts and the habitat that nearly every part is needing some sort of "customization" to make it possible to properly assemble.

The electrical/chest cooler cabinet assembled up pretty good:
IMG_1764.JPG

Next came the over-door cabinet that took a bit of persuasion to get it into its final resting place:
IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

For those of you thinking of following in my footsteps and building out an overland truck - for the love of Pete, DON'T! But if you don't heed that advice, at least invest in the following tools: pneumatic caulking gun, wood glue bottle & suction cups.
IMG_1767.JPG

- Sheik

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I agree, a pneumatic caulking gun is a must, especially if you are using Sikaflex 252, unless you have forearms like Popeye. Get a good one, mine has lasted 10 years so far, and many sausages of Sikaflex. I got given this one from a Sika rep.

PICT2269.JPG

whomisi

Looking good, thanks for sharing.

This is exactly how I want to do my interior also, mainly because I'm better on Solidworks than I am with woodwork!

When you say out of square, do you mean the X and Y axis were not sufficiently perpendicular to each other? Or something else I should look out for when I reach this stage.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Lowly update:

Cabinet installation continues. Despite my best efforts to dial in the solid models while designing the cabinets there is enough out-of-square-ness in the CNC cut cabinet parts and the habitat that nearly every part is needing some sort of "customization" to make it possible to properly assemble.

The electrical/chest cooler cabinet assembled up pretty good:
View attachment 835592

Next came the over-door cabinet that took a bit of persuasion to get it into its final resting place:
View attachment 835593

View attachment 835646

For those of you thinking of following in my footsteps and building out an overland truck - for the love of Pete, DON'T! But if you don't heed that advice, at least invest in the following tools: pneumatic caulking gun, wood glue bottle & suction cups.
View attachment 835647

- Sheik
What??? Don't build an overland truck? After a few years the pain will fade, then if you're really nuts you'll sign up to build a second one (well we are....). I need to get my head examined.

Oh, and while building ours I thought that the box would be all square angles, so easy. But everything needed to be fit carefully and took more time than I had hoped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater