LR3 Ownership Update - Eight Weeks

zelatore

Explorer
I'm running the same Tactical stuff on my LR3. As noted, it's pretty heavy stuff but the coverage is excellent. Since you can't lift these things much or put a big tire under them, I figured this was the safest thing to do for the occasional rock crawl.

brdl04

Metro Detroit new to me Lr3 owner here too loving mine so far. Getting all bushings replaced tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subdued

To do list:

1) Roof mount for spare tire

Can you provide the size of the roof rack and model of awning installed? I have been trying to decide between the ARB 6.5' and 8' and the picture at the start of the original "For Sale" thread shows the balance I am looking for.

Thanks,

Angry_Man

Adventurer
Can you provide the size of the roof rack and model of awning installed? I have been trying to decide between the ARB 6.5' and 8' and the picture at the start of the original "For Sale" thread shows the balance I am looking for.

Thanks,
The roof rack is a BajaRack full size for LR3, not their expedition version. I don't have the awning, Dale kept that.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i love the LR3s and 4s. i really do. id love to have one, but if you're comparing the capability of your rover to a lifted jeep on 35's with double lockers - the person driving the jeep had no idea what they're doing. seriously

sounds like you had a great time though and the truck looks great!

Angry_Man

Adventurer
i love the LR3s and 4s. i really do. id love to have one, but if you're comparing the capability of your rover to a lifted jeep on 35's with double lockers - the person driving the jeep had no idea what they're doing. seriously

sounds like you had a great time though and the truck looks great!

Considering I've built and driven the Jeep myself over the last 16 years, you can promptly eat crow. The only advantages my CJ has over my LR3 are size related. Narrow fits in between some trees, short wheelbase decreasing the chance of high centering over certain obstacles at certain angles, and departure angles because of the LR3s big old booty dragging *** over rare 50* approaches. The LR3 on the other hand has a much smaller turning radius, allowing better maneuvering on rocks than the Jeep could hope for. In all other categories, they're equal, and in everything my CJ went through, my LR3 followed. This is at an off road park that will push the limits of anything from a a KOH custom to Trophy truck.

zelatore

Explorer
I wish I could say the same about my LR3, but I can't. The lack of real lockers that YOU can control instead of only relying on the computer the decide if and when it will lock the center and rear (and of course not the front as that doesn't exist) means I can easily get myself into a position with the Rover a locked Jeep will simply crawl out of. That and the small tires we're limited to with these rigs, along with the weight, are why I'll never really try any serious trails with mine.
Granted, I could swap in the ARB front and rear lockers for manual control (did these ever come to market?) but I don't know how the computers will play with them and haven't heard of anybody actually running them to date.
Even then, I don't think I'll be heading for Fordyce any time soon.
I like my LR3, but I don't kid myself that it's a match for even a mildly built JK in terms of technical capability. That said, I chose it over a Jeep and would likely do it again.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
I wish I could say the same about my LR3, but I can't. The lack of real lockers that YOU can control instead of only relying on the computer the decide if and when it will lock the center and rear (and of course not the front as that doesn't exist) means I can easily get myself into a position with the Rover a locked Jeep will simply crawl out of. That and the small tires we're limited to with these rigs, along with the weight, are why I'll never really try any serious trails with mine.
Granted, I could swap in the ARB front and rear lockers for manual control (did these ever come to market?) but I don't know how the computers will play with them and haven't heard of anybody actually running them to date.
Even then, I don't think I'll be heading for Fordyce any time soon.
I like my LR3, but I don't kid myself that it's a match for even a mildly built JK in terms of technical capability. That said, I chose it over a Jeep and would likely do it again.

That's a choice, I could say the same thing if I owned a Jeep without lockers vs an LR3 with them. It wouldn't make my Jeep inferior. They're both equally capable, just different platforms.

Jwestpro

Explorer
That and the small tires we're limited to with these rigs, along with the weight, are why I'll never really try any serious trails with mine.
Granted, I could swap in the ARB front and rear lockers for manual control (did these ever come to market?) but I don't know how the computers will play with them and haven't heard of anybody actually running them to date..

Yes, ARB has the lockers available right now and usually in stock. Roughly $3000 or less would get them and a compressor installed.

You are right that tire size is limited however, have you ever measured the ground to differential height on a Jeep with 35" tires? While the breakover angles may be really high, the minimum clearance at the differential may be closer than you expect. I've measured more than 14" under my lowest hanging points with the mods available while on 32" tires. This allows for some pretty capable coverage. The overall size and length of the LR3 is also what keeps it from being a "rock crawler" but it's what makes it a wonderful travel vehicle which these Jeeps are really not all by comparison. You really can't have it all in either one when comparing these two vehicles.

zelatore

Explorer
The grass is always greener....
I deliberately picked the LR3 because it was bigger/more refined for long highway treks to distant locations....I'm northern CA, and have visions of running trails in Moab, Death Valley, Colorado, etc. Earlier this year I was in Sedona/Crown King and the north rim. Certainly the Rover is better at making the run to far-off destinations.

Then I get out on the trail and can't help but start feeling envious of lifted/locked JKs or other rigs. And I start thinking 'you know, the latest JKs aren't really that bad on the road...' Of course, the cost to build an '11+ JK would far eclipse what I've spent building my LR3 and still wouldn't have the payload/room of the Rover or it's refinement. But I can't help but let my mind wander.

I enjoy Jeeps. No question. But I don't know if I could be a Jeep person. I'm happy with my Rover and the people I've met thanks to it. I'll be keeping it even it it's never going to be a rock crawler. Maybe I'll just have to buy a D90 or old RR Classic to build for that job. ;)

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I've posted this info before, but I went from an '08 JKUR with 3.5" of lift and 35's (and lots of other mods), and my '08 LR3 is just as capable, if not more-so than the JK was. I just got back from CO where we drove some pretty crazy trails. However, the GAP tool will be your best friend. And, yes, get the spare out from under the car.
I know the new engine/trans combo in the JKs makes a huge difference, but I think I'm now a Rover fan for life.

WoldD90

Adventurer
Bleed Green... A LR3/4 is in my future... Being able to drive to an event that is 5+ hours away, run all the trails and load up and come home would be fun. Right now, I trailer my 90, because riding in my Yukon XL is more comfortable.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
I've posted this info before, but I went from an '08 JKUR with 3.5" of lift and 35's (and lots of other mods), and my '08 LR3 is just as capable, if not more-so than the JK was. I just got back from CO where we drove some pretty crazy trails. However, the GAP tool will be your best friend. And, yes, get the spare out from under the car.
I know the new engine/trans combo in the JKs makes a huge difference, but I think I'm now a Rover fan for life.

For what it's worth, the new JK engine trans combo is a lemon law inducing nightmare on all their platforms. Brilliant engineering, half baked typical Chrysler execution.

zelatore

Explorer
For what it's worth, the new JK engine trans combo is a lemon law inducing nightmare on all their platforms. Brilliant engineering, half baked typical Chrysler execution.
I had not heard this. I've driven about half a dozen of them as rentals, both standard and Rubis (all 2 doors, because Jeeps only have 2 doors from where I stand!). Most of what I've heard about the motor has been positive.

I've got a friend who just picked up a 4-door Willies Wheeler. It will be interesting to see how things go with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online