LR3 Ownership Update - Eight Weeks

Angry_Man

Adventurer
I had not heard this. I've driven about half a dozen of them as rentals, both standard and Rubis (all 2 doors, because Jeeps only have 2 doors from where I stand!). Most of what I've heard about the motor has been positive.

I've got a friend who just picked up a 4-door Willies Wheeler. It will be interesting to see how things go with it.

The motor itself is just fine and deserves the praise it gets. The various transmissions it's attached to in the JK, Journey, WK2, etc. are all **** along with the electronics controlling. Getting a 14 MY to 10,000 miles or 12 months of ownership without qualifying for lemon is rare. Chrysler group's attorney's are overwhelmed, they have a flat out denial campaign in their service drives to try and minimize their liability, and as a result the internet forums and service lanes alike are rage filled.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
For what it's worth, the new JK engine trans combo is a lemon law inducing nightmare on all their platforms. Brilliant engineering, half baked typical Chrysler execution.

Not so sure about this as I had a 2013 JKUR with the Auto and it was perfect. Had 3.5" lift with 35's and bumpers. Granted I only had it for over a year and it had 13K on the clock but it was bullet proof. Did all my own fluid changes and never once had an issue. Wheeled it every other weekend in places my LR4 could never even dream of going.

In fact, I just turned my LR4 back into LR due to Lemon Law. Every Jeep product I have had has been bullet proof. Replaced the LR4 with a Diesel GC and it has been perfect, gets amazing mileage and has the same capabilities as the LR4 does.

Everyone does have different experiences though. Sadly I loved the LR4 and really wanted to stay with the LR brand but for the time being decided it best to take a break.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
Not so sure about this as I had a 2013 JKUR with the Auto and it was perfect. Had 3.5" lift with 35's and bumpers. Granted I only had it for over a year and it had 13K on the clock but it was bullet proof. Did all my own fluid changes and never once had an issue. Wheeled it every other weekend in places my LR4 could never even dream of going.

In fact, I just turned my LR4 back into LR due to Lemon Law. Every Jeep product I have had has been bullet proof. Replaced the LR4 with a Diesel GC and it has been perfect, gets amazing mileage and has the same capabilities as the LR4 does.

Everyone does have different experiences though. Sadly I loved the LR4 and really wanted to stay with the LR brand but for the time being decided it best to take a break.

I'm down the street from world HQ and CDJRF is one of my clients. I have beers every Tuesday night with one of their lemon law defense attorneys. Congrats on getting one of the rare experiences with your JK and good luck with that diesel WK2. They bought mine back, my neighbors, many friends, etc. It's 8 speed, collision warning/adaptive cruise, nav unit, air bag sensors and seat belt sensors are all faulty with no fixes currently available. Thousands of people have parts replaced repeatedly until the car qualifies for lemon. Their legal counsel is overwhelmed and has a current backlog over two months processing buybacks.

That's not even mentioning the employee quality problems they're having at Jefferson Assembly - the screw ups made on the line every day cause hell for the dealers during PDI.

Jwestpro

Explorer
has the same capabilities as the LR4 does.

You sure about that? .... While the GC certainly does have great mpg, cool lift tech, and very nice interior, the "capabilities" are not quite equal. It's not even as big inside or providing the same range of wheel articulation. The new GC really are pretty sweet looking as am overall package though.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
You sure about that? .... While the GC certainly does have great mpg, cool lift tech, and very nice interior, the "capabilities" are not quite equal. It's not even as big inside or providing the same range of wheel articulation. The new GC really are pretty sweet looking as am overall package though.

A 14GC WK2 with Off Road 2 adventure package will do anything an LR4 will do. It comes with 18s, skid plates that are strong enough to hold the full weight of the car from their center point, electronic locking rear end, and air suspension. Just like the LR4, but with 18s for better tire selection. The aftermarket is crap for it, but with all that factory kit who cares? If they could build the damn thing to last more than 1000 miles without breaking down, I would still have one. I think it's the best SUV on the road today and hope to see them get it together with their suppliers and assembly for the 2015 MY.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Ok, so what is the maximum wheel travel front and rear? LR3/4 is 13" rear, and I think 9" front. Based on the video I just watched, I'm not believing the GC is 100% same spec. It looks about like the 2008 VW Touareg tdi I had. Very good but still "car-like" range of wheel travel such that one tire leaves the ground almost all the time over any rugged terrain.

---
Also, I consider load hauling and towing part of "capability". The GC is rated 275 lbs less for payload and 500 lbs less towing. (1050 vs 1325 and 7200 vs 7716)

---
I could do some measuring comparisons but looking at the GC in person the cargo area is not nearly as large either. It's cool the GC has become what it is and it will be sufficient for most people but I'm not sure it would do as well rolling at 8200 lbs for a trip.

Last edited:

LL247

Observer
I find the Jeep lemon law thing kind of hard to believe...as I drove a 14MY Rubicon Unlimited Auto on 35's for almost a year and 20k miles, abused on trails regularly, never failed. My wife has 15k miles on her 14MY Unlimited Auto, not one issue to speak of. Heck, only reason I got rid of mine was I missed having a diesel truck so went back to that and paired it with an 08MY Unlimited Auto to build.

Why am I posting in a LR thread then? I've always been an admirer and am thinking of switching up. Not from Jeep problems though!

da10A

Adventurer
The jeep lemon thing is complete bull... They did have issues when the pentastar came out in 2012, until early 2013, but have been flawless since.

I have owned a Land Rover and jeep doesn't come close in creature comfort.

However, comparing am LR3 with a JKU Rubicon is ridiculous and takes all the credibility from this conversation.

Compare the LR3 to the Jeep GC, or porsche cayenne, but a JKU Rubicon will run circles around an LR3/4 any day in stock form, no need for 35s.

To be blinded by the pride if ownership is one thing, but come-on....

Jwestpro

Explorer
Compare the LR3 to the Jeep GC, or porsche cayenne, but a JKU Rubicon will run circles around an LR3/4 any day in stock form, no need for 35s.

To be blinded by the pride if ownership is one thing, but come-on....

Very bumpy circles though ;)

I agree with you 100%, except that the LR3 does a great job of providing just enough "comforts" with much better "capabilities" than any of the soft-roader car-based suv's like Touareg, Cayenne, Grand Cherokee. To me those suv's are just one step up from a crossover or something like a 2001-2005 Audi Allroad with it's high ground clearance air suspension.

The Rubicon is almost identical to the Land Rover Discovery 2 in basic design. Solid axles and simple suspension lifts with locking diffs. On the highway though I'd still prefer my 04 Disco, maybe even the 96 Disco but that one is probably more of an emotional choice.

da10A

Adventurer
My Disco 2 with old man emu suspension was a lot more comfy than my current 10A JKUR. My D2 had the center diff lock and all and was extremely capable. Best winter storm vehicle I ever had. But off road, it didn't come close to my 10A JKUR. If only the D2 had been decently reliable, I'd still own it for sure. Heck, my experience with it's poor reliability is the reason why I now own a jeep instead of the awesome LR4. I was afraid to re-live a nightmare.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
And as with all things internet, the slappies are out. It doesn't matter if you believe it or not, it's happening. I've driven a Jeep my entire life. Worked with Jeep for the last 8.5 years professionally. I've driven an LR3 for 4 months.

Lockers are lockers. Tires are tires. Ground clearance is ground clearance. My LR3 will go anywhere a Jeep will, with it's width limiting dense forest, and it's approach/depart angles limiting rock crawling.
My Jeep will go anywhere an LR3 will, with it's turning radius limiting it's maneuverability in tight turn ruts and rocks.

The bottom line is with the same tires equalizing traction, a set of max trax, and a competent driver, both vehicles can drive anywhere they want to and this is a stupid debate because like I said at the beginning, they're very different platforms that are equally capable, each with distinct advantages.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
The jeep lemon thing is complete bull... They did have issues when the pentastar came out in 2012, until early 2013, but have been flawless since.

Did you even bother reading? I said the pentastar is great and deserves the praise it gets, but the 8 & 9 speed transmissions, ACC/FCW systems, air bag sensors, seat belt sensors, instrument panels, and nav units. It is effecting more than just one model. The ACC/FCW is a supplier issue going back to 2011 MY. This is all over the Jeep owner forums, autoblog, etc. Don't be a jerk, just google it before you call someone close to the situation giving you sound consumer advice a liar.

Jwestpro

Explorer
.... sound consumer advice.

The way I see it, you're just trying to help anyone who might be considering the vehicle, to understand they should be wary and make an informed decision, at least to get a solid extended warranty right from the start.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Considering I've built and driven the Jeep myself over the last 16 years, you can promptly eat crow. The only advantages my CJ has over my LR3 are size related. Narrow fits in between some trees, short wheelbase decreasing the chance of high centering over certain obstacles at certain angles, and departure angles because of the LR3s big old booty dragging *** over rare 50* approaches. The LR3 on the other hand has a much smaller turning radius, allowing better maneuvering on rocks than the Jeep could hope for. In all other categories, they're equal, and in everything my CJ went through, my LR3 followed. This is at an off road park that will push the limits of anything from a a KOH custom to Trophy truck.
i wasn't referring to the CJ. its not really fair to compare a nearly brand new computer managed truck to a jeep built in the 70s with "engineering"

put an LR3 against a same vintage LWB Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and there isn't any way the LR3 could follow it through the stuff the Jeep can traverse. its not possible. the math simply doesn't add up. you cannot compare the two in that category. offroad prowess simply falls to the solid axle factory locker crowd.

now if you're going to start looking at things such as comfort, overall power, storage space and capacity - then it changes.

perhaps you should eat some crow too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online