M-416 Build

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Here are some pics of the completed frame. I should have the new axle on it with wiring by next weekend.

P1020292.jpg

P1020293.jpg

P1020294.jpg

P1020296.jpg

P1020297.jpg

P1020299.jpg

P1020300.jpg

P1020304.jpg

P1020306.jpg

socaljeeper

Adventurer
95% Complete

Almost done with this build. Here are some recent pictures. Here is a list of what I have done thus far:

- 3500# axle with electric brakes, 5 on 4.5 with matching jeep wheels
- Wired all trailer lights with reverse light on trailer.
- Tub sand blasted
- Added Tradesman Tongue Box
- Pre-wired Blue Sea 6 switch board (4 perimeter lights switches, 1 water pump switch, 1 stereo switch.
- Junction Box for trailer wiring
- AGM battery with separate disconnect for switch panel
- Battery charger with shore power
- Tongue Jack
- JP rectangular cooler
- 19 gal water tank with Shur-Flo pump, pressure hose & faucet
- Propane tank
- Line-X on all surfaces (top if tongue and side steps, fenders, inside of tub, outside of tub to match jeep green, tent rack & back of tailgate.
- Had front box that holds water tank powder coated.

Still on the list:
- 12 volt power for tongue box
- Install custom shelving/drawers with stereo
- Install automatic light for tongue box

P1020373.jpg

P1020369.jpg

P1020370.jpg

P1020373.jpg

P1020368.jpg

P1020378.jpg

P1020366.jpg

P1020367.jpg

P1020375.jpg

P1020377.jpg

Last edited:
very impressive!

may I ask you how much that cost to build minus the tent? approximately what would you say? I've been thinking something like that could be built for far less than the 10K for AT's rigs

really nice job bravo!

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Z O O R O P A said:
very impressive!

may I ask you how much that cost to build minus the tent? approximately what would you say? I've been thinking something like that could be built for far less than the 10K for AT's rigs

really nice job bravo!

Thank you for all the positive feedback! I was afraid that someone would make me add up all my reciepts:Wow1: This build really had two phases,but when I started the first phase I did not know there would be a second phase. Many of the ideas and stuff I purchased was not going to work with the new design. So if you ignore the amount of money I spent in the first phase, the amount I have in the trailer is approximately $4000-4500 without the tent. You also have to add in the amount of satisfaction you get when it is finaly completed, and when you are camping someone comes up to you and says "Where can I buy one of those", and your answer is "no where, I built it".

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I got one question for ya. Why did you leave the stock frame in the middle? Your fab work looks better and has to be stronger. I think you'd been better off to make the entire frame. It's definately one fo the nicest mil trailers I've seen. What did you coat it with?:beer:

socaljeeper

Adventurer
highlandercj-7 said:
I got one question for ya. Why did you leave the stock frame in the middle? Your fab work looks better and has to be stronger. I think you'd been better off to make the entire frame. It's definately one fo the nicest mil trailers I've seen. What did you coat it with?:beer:

Just thought the stock frame would be plenty adequate as far as strength. Save time and money I guess would be more reasons too. The only things that are M-416 on this trailer is a portion of the frame, portion of the tub, and the leaf springs. Maybe I should have just started from scratch. It is coated with Line-X.

Patrick it really looks professional

The satisfaction of your own work must feel damn good! I was thinking something along the same lines since we have such access to places like Lowes and HD, the possibilities are wide open for anyone who might try.

Your ingenuity has inspired quite a few here I'd imagine. I think the only thing I would change from your design is to make the entire body enclosed to accompany dry storage and a fridge perhaps but your galley is superb!

Just thinking out loud here; I think I'll follow your example or something very similar. I never liked the idea of fuel on my rig so maybe enough storage for another two 5 gallon tubs and a spare wheel or two but that might get heavy I don't know. You helped address a great idea for me to put a double rtt on top for example ( the one with 2 compartments )
breakfastcomin.jpg

I was planning on putting it on top of my rig but what for when I can throw it on the trailer. That way I can save the roof rack on the rig for boats, cargo, spare tires, tools, or anything else and the interior room is for people & the pup. I finally resolved my conflict of support gear, practical prices, and comfort. I thought all of the pre builds were way over priced in my opinion. Seeing what you can build yourself in pictures makes a big difference

thanks for an excellent example! have fun with it - far nicer and a heck of a lot cheaper than any trailer on the market I know of

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77