M101A2, Another home on wheels build thread

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
Got the quote back from the shop today for the fixed rack. Just over $1000. I think I may need to learn to weld...

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
It's time for some updates already! Sheesh...

I've been busy working, see? LINK

But now I'm home with no work projects scheduled until February so I should have plenty of quality trailer build time. Anyway, after a month of going back and forth researching metal tubing I finally went to Metal Supermarkets in Marietta and pulled the trigger on some sticks of metal. I ended up with:

4 pieces of 2x2 tubing with 1/4" wall thickness 24" long (yeah, I know, overkill)
4 pieces of 1.5 x 1.5 tubing with 3/16" wall thickness 27" long
2 pieces of 1.5 x 1.5 tubing with 3/16" wall thickness 75" long
8 pieces of 1.5 Angle 3/16" thick 6" long

The plan is to telescope the 1.5" tubing inside the 2" tubing, weld the 2" tubing to the angle which will bolt to the trailer and then run the long 1.5" tubing between them as the rails the tent will mount to. I'll put bolts through the angle to mount the whole thing to the trailer but still keep it removable. See?

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

I spent some time tonight with the grinder using this guy's technique for nesting tubing inside one another:

Seems to work pretty well. I also stopped by Northern Tool on the way home and bought a Mig welder they had on sale this week. We'll see if i manage to learn to weld or if I burn my house down later this week.

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Taught myself how to use the welder and made some progress. My one fear was that the 1.5" tubing would be too tight inside the 2" tubing. Unfortunately that fear was founded. I picked up some 1.25" tubing tonight to alleviate the problem and will redo the top of the rack tomorrow.

dstock

Explorer
Did the 1.5 tubing fit before you welded? It's possible the 2" tubing warped a little while you were welding (happened to me). I would put a straight edge up against your 2" inch tubing and check it, mine warped right above the bed rail.

Also, did you purchase telescopic tubing? You shouldn't have to do all the work shown in the video.

Last edited:

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
Did the 1.5 tubing fit before you welded? It's possible the 2" tubing warped a little while you were welding (happened to me). I would put a straight edge up against your 2" inch tubing and check it, mine warped right above the bed rail.

Also, did you purchase telescopic tubing? You shouldn't have to do all the work shown in the video.

Didn't get telescopic tubing, couldn't find it locally. They did fit before welding but there's no warping it's just that the tolerances are too tight. Everything would have to be perfectly square for it to work this way is what I've found. I think going to inch and a quarter tubing is the way to go as it will provide enough play to keep things from binding. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

dstock

Explorer
Didn't get telescopic tubing, couldn't find it locally. They did fit before welding but there's no warping it's just that the tolerances are too tight. Everything would have to be perfectly square for it to work this way is what I've found. I think going to inch and a quarter tubing is the way to go as it will provide enough play to keep things from binding. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

I would get one piece to test fit, you don't want too much play or things will bang around off-road and could cause breakage. Telescopic tubing is available online, you don't need huge pieces so shipping costs won't be bad.

RagnarD

Adventurer
The sliding will scrape most paint off. Been meaning to try a rust neutralizer and then just WD40 on bare steel for stuff like this.

I bet it is hard to get 4 independent telescoping extensions to be perfectly square. I would just embrace the slop, especially because you put the larger tubing down low. Stuff can and will fall into to the gap, so a nice snug fit would likely bind up.

Maybe I missed it, but what is your plan for raising and lowering the rack?

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
The sliding will scrape most paint off. Been meaning to try a rust neutralizer and then just WD40 on bare steel for stuff like this.

I bet it is hard to get 4 independent telescoping extensions to be perfectly square. I would just embrace the slop, especially because you put the larger tubing down low. Stuff can and will fall into to the gap, so a nice snug fit would likely bind up.

Maybe I missed it, but what is your plan for raising and lowering the rack?

Thinking of doing a bar across the bed with a scissor style stabilizer jack that would meet a brace on the rack just below the tent. Center it all up so I could just crank it up and down. Depending on how it's mounted it could help stabilize things as well. Right now I'm also picturing some sort of rubber shim around the 2" tube opening to prevent things from falling in and to provide some stabilization. Or at least cut down on the metal on metal noise. Making this up as I go...

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
So I've decided to keep to top portion of the rack (the two cross bars and the legs) and replace all 4 of the lower "receiving" portions. After weighing my options and looking around I think this is the best bet. I'm going to go with 2" tubing with an 1/8" wall this time instead of 1/4 inch. This should help with the welding penetration as my little flux core welder had a hard time with the 1/4 inch stuff. I'll get a much better quality weld this time. Running this size will allow for 1/8" of slop on all sides and hopefully prevent the binding issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77