M101A2 Trailer Purchase & Project

TexasFJ

Observer
Thanks. I thought about some sort of hard top and an RTT, maybe later. Right now I have an idea about using the tops of the bows:

tarp.jpg

This very basic drawing is supposed to be of the rear. Basically I can take the bow 'elbows' which are the correct size for the stake pockets, toss aside the vertical legs and basically have about a 4" tarp bow. I've grayed the tarp out a bit to illustrate how I'd like to use the bows.

I plan on using this for general hauling, some business related events, hunting and camping, more of a base trailer but not really an expo go anywhere trailer.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Alot of people tell me that the stock shocks off of an 85 ranger will fit perfectly.. I know late..info. Build looks great.

Nicoli

Has anyone tried to paint the original tarp that comes with these trailers? If you did what did you use and how did it turn out?

TexasFJ

Observer
The planets aligned and it quit raining long enough for me to get the bed mounted and what not. Pulls great, rides smooth and not bouncy (had about 300lbs in it) sits just a touch nose high which is good. Axle width with spacers is perfect. LED tail lights work great. The FJ doesn't even know it's back there. Backs up so much easier. Much lighter on the nose now, I can move it around one handed like it weighs a few hundred pounds. Now to deal with paint and bedliner.

Here's a few pics, I'll take some more in the next few days.

2012-03-12_21-22-20_819.jpg

2012-03-12_21-22-30_992.jpg

2012-03-12_21-24-49_879.jpg

2012-03-12_21-23-03_282.jpg

Now it will get a little more fun.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks Great!
It was easier to paint with the tub off. "No over spray on the frame or need to tape off anything"
You still have room to adjust the tongue height if the trailer is loaded.
The Matching wheels set it off well.
Like the safety cables too!
Paint color?

TexasFJ

Observer
Well, I needed it to come home so I can work on it here... 2 month old boy and all, hard to get away.

Taking it by Maaco tomorrow for a quote...time is short for me so I'm going to see what it might cost to let them spray it white and black to match the FJ. Still haven't made up my mind about the bed yet.... trying to keep the dollars down as much as possible.

Last edited:

TexasFJ

Observer
You can buy them just about anywhere. It's a Bulldog top wind with the weld on swivel. I think the total max height was 29.5". I bought this one from Quality Trailer parts. Don't have the PN handy just this minute.

TexasFJ

Observer
Thanks.

No... decided to get sick along with my baby boy so we haven't moved much in the last many days. Hopefully some time this week.

TexasFJ

Observer
Finished painting the trailer after hours and hours of sand, prime, repeat. Color code 058 single stage acrylic enamel then sprayed the bed and trim. All I have left to do is mount the lift rings, reflectors and license plate and it's finished. Kinda...then I start adding stuff.

I probably spent too much time prepping it but it was rough, very rough and while some paint came right off, giving me bare metal, some had 3-4 coats of various colors. Plus I've never painted before so I wanted to get some good experience doing prep work. Bought me a couple of HVLP guns in the hard case from Harbor Freight for $50, sprayed nicely.

You will also notice my new winch/mount setup in the factory FJ bumper. I build and sell them if you need one for your FJ. I also just installed adjustable Bilstein 5100's up front which is why it sits level now compared to nose down in other pics.

Here's a few pics:

Late one night in the garage, sand, prime, repeat.

Heading to have the bedliner and trim sprayed.

Fresh out of Extreme Bedliner's shop.

Around town.

Attachments

• 2012-04-08_12-44-58_287.jpg
    2012-04-08_12-44-58_287.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach