M1101 trailer build UEV 440 kinda

lilgription

Observer
Thx hamthis. I overlooked it somehow. Great work btw. You're doing basically the same thing I'm gonna be starting. But mine will be removable and lighter weight framing so I can still double duty the trailer

hamthis

Observer
More Pictures

Here are some updates.

My wife really wanted me to redo the side gate for the house so here it is before and after.
IMG_2437.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg

When I have a welder sitting in the garage and not doing anything the wife thinks I have all kinds of free time and says why not redo the gate.

In reality it only took about 6 hours to weld on some flat steel.

hamthis

Observer
More Pictures

Back to the Trailer.

I decided to make the hinges for all the doors except the back door. I cut them out on a friends cnc plasma cutter. I then folded them into hinges and then powdercoated them in my garage. I had a bunch of 5/16 stainless bolt that I have laying around so I used those with acorn nuts for the pins. I used red locktight to secure the nuts so they are not going to come loose anytime soon.

IMG_2490.jpg
IMG_2491.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2493.jpg
IMG_2495.jpg
IMG_2508.jpg

Here they are installed on the doors for the kitchen and pantry.

IMG_2520.jpg
IMG_2527.jpg

hamthis

Observer
Back door

Here is the back door.

I had a piano hinge laying around so I used that for the hinge.
I picked up a RV style lock ($25.00) for the door for two reasons. It is really easy to install and I would like to get a $150 digital keypad RV lock in the future so I wanted to make sure I made to opening the same to make the install in the future super easy. I'm trying to stay under budget.

IMG_2528.jpg
IMG_2529.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
I used ro pull those trailers behind my Hummwv. Never knew they had such potential. Awesome job so far. Subscribed.

hamthis

Observer
Here come the pictures of prgress

Thank you all for your support through this process. I have been working a lot on the trailer and did not have much time to post an update.

Here is what I have been up to.
Here is the frameout in the drive way
IMG_2906.jpg

Passanger bed side
IMG_2908.jpg

Front bed support
IMG_2909.jpg

My truck pulling the little trailer.
I know it looks funny with a long huge truck with a tiny trailer but that is what I have to tow it around with. For now!

IMG_2931.jpg

hamthis

Observer
IMG_3039.jpg

I decided to use a panel adhesive for the 26 gauge steel to be glued to the frame. This went horribly wrong.
This is the glue I used. http://3mcollision.com/3m-panel-bonding-adhesive-08115.html
I think I should have used the glue to direct metal and sanded off the panels where the glue was to go. I would say about half of the glue did not make good adhesion. I used rivets to hold it in place till the glue dried.
IMG_3089.jpg

Here is the panels installed on the trailer.

IMG_3088.jpg

hamthis

Observer
Trailer back home ready for the next steps.

IMG_3092.jpg

Trailer back
IMG_3093.jpg

I need to seal up the holes in the floor there are actually alot because of the tie downs.
IMG_3166.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg

hamthis

Observer
Now it onto the insulation!!! I chose Styrofoam from Lowes mainly because it was easy and it comes in 1" The high desnisty foam would have been my first choice but in my region where I live it is special order and I did not want to wait for it.
IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

Now I get to start on the interior electical, sorry no picture available

and I also started on the interior wood shelves and storage compartments.
IMG_3489.jpg

I decided I did not have a ton of time so flew my mother-in-law out from Denver and she helped to knock out the fabric.
I bought the fabric from sailright. I went with their heavy vinyl canvas called shelter-rite Grey. Same stuff that rutdigger used. The fabric was not the easiest to work with but in the end I think it will stand up for years to come. I did use the same techinques that rutdigger used. (sorry no pictures) lots of good youtube videos from sailrite on how to lay out the fabric.
Shelter-Rite-18oz-Grey-61
IMG_3293.jpg

hamthis

Observer
Yeah, I'm a proud guy in this picture. Plus my wife bought me this shirt. I think it fits!
IMG_7521.jpg

Here is a shot looking at the top pop up part.
IMG_3522.jpg

some quick interiors
IMG_7528.jpg
IMG_7526.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues