Mahindra 4x4 pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
The Detroit Free Press is reporting that Mahindra is planning to release an SUV in USA in about 18 months. The price will start in the $13,000 to $15,000 range! The SUV will use the truck's diesel engine and six-speed automatic transmission. No word on how much extra you'd pay for 4x4.

That's less than any other SUV sold in USA today, I believe. Goodbye, Jeep Liberty, Hello Mahindra!

http://www.freep.com/article/200906...01/Chrysler++Ford+dealers+join+Mahindra+group

In other news, Mahindra is is recruiting dealers who recently lost their franchise with Chrysler or GM to join the 300 or so dealers who already have signed on to sell the pickups.

Offtrack

Offtrack Traveler
I would just bet they are going to make sure that most the bugs are worked out of the trucks. Very Excited to see how they are received here.

This is not a brand new company or product, its well aged and tested. The USA truck will have some changes but the base unit is still the same truck.

After reading some reviews in Australia and South Africa on them it looks like the folks that had the truck that were real about their posting were overall happy with them.

A farmer/rancher any where in the world to me is more of a better reviewer/tester of a truck like this any day over someone that is a car reviewer.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Come to think of it, aren't the current 4-cyl gas trucks slow?

The 4cyl gas engines are always faster than a non turbo diesel.
The Toyotas, Rodeos and other Japanese utes we get in oz have quite good power.
These days most of them are V6 gassers or 4cyl turbo diesel.
Toyota also has a 2.7 litre 4 cyl gas engine option.
My cousin has one of these for his business and is quite happy with the power.
Mazda no longer have a gas option at all,just 2 turbo diesels

We also have some smaller utes ,like the Proton from Malaysia.
gallery.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
I signed up months ago, but have not heard a single word about when the tour will start. Let's just hope the tour will be held sometime in 2009!

theMec

Adventurer
You really think there is a market for small slow pick ups?
In most parts of the world they only drive them because they cant afford the cost of running more thirsty petrol versions.

Have you ever driven a turbo diesel? They do just fine with respect to speed. I'd take a small turbo diesel over the petrol variety anyday. Travel somewhere that both models are made for the same truck. You will see very few gas models on the street. Turbo diesel performance is well recognized .. and oh yeah, the fuel mileage is better too. :)

SGV

Adventurer
Mec, I think you are quoting me quoting someone else. I expect the turbo diesels to have decent acceleration. At least better than the 4cyl trucks offered now. The ones I have driven have a decent off the line acceleration, but get a little wheezy in the top gears. I don't have a problem with it, just what I have noticed. I am looking forward to test driving this little truck.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Comparison: 2006 2.8L turbo common rail diesel jeep liberty does 0-60 in 9.5 seconds 1/4 mile. 17.1 seconds @ 79 mph (information courtesy of motor week’s web site)

2004 2.8L Chevy Colorado (Isuzu designed) inline 4 does 0-60 in 8.7 seconds 1/4 mile 16.5 seconds @ 85 mph (courtesy of Coloradofans.com)

The liberty can tow 1,312 lbs more and gets no less then 4 MPG better mileages.:coffeedrink:
Ive been in a liberty with 600lbs of people and gear and no noticeable difference was noted it performance, my Nissan frontier however is sluggish with 600lbs in the bed.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Have you ever driven a turbo diesel? They do just fine with respect to speed. I'd take a small turbo diesel over the petrol variety anyday. Travel somewhere that both models are made for the same truck. You will see very few gas models on the street. Turbo diesel performance is well recognized .. and oh yeah, the fuel mileage is better too. :)

It was me in the original quote;)
Yes I have driven many turbo 4 and 6 cyl diesels from Japan.
I was generalising about small 4 cyl non turbo and the older style turbo diesels.

The new top of the range diesels are great but I doubt whether the Mahindra will be anything like a Prado,Navara or Isuzu turbo diesel.
They are still not as powerful as the petrol equivalents in most cases especially in the higher rpms.

I suspect the Mahindra will be adequate for those who have had a long association with old diesels and dont have unrealistic expectations.

taco2go

Explorer
This made me chuckle: Mahindra is already one of the biggest-selling tractor manufacturers in the American market and even sponsors a Nascar team

78Bronco

Explorer
It was me in the original quote;)
Yes I have driven many turbo 4 and 6 cyl diesels from Japan.
I was generalising about small 4 cyl non turbo and the older style turbo diesels.

The new top of the range diesels are great but I doubt whether the Mahindra will be anything like a Prado,Navara or Isuzu turbo diesel.
They are still not as powerful as the petrol equivalents in most cases especially in the higher rpms.

I suspect the Mahindra will be adequate for those who have had a long association with old diesels and dont have unrealistic expectations.

A gas motor of equal displacement will not make anywhere near the torque that a turbo diesel does. A diesel is not made for top end power. Top end power isn't going to do much for you when you are offroad with a vehicle burdened with weight. Unless you like revving the piss out of your petrol motor in first gear going up a hill when carrying max payload. :barf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal