Mahindra 4x4 pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
"The base Tacoma 2wd is just over $15k and is rated at 26 mpg highway, so really, why would you spend $7k more for a Mahindra?"

The base Tacoma can only carry 1350 lbs of cargo, vs 2600 lbs in the Mahindra. It just depends on what you're looking for the truck to do for you. If you're delivering pizzas, the Tacoma would be fine.

I think the real competition for the Mahindra will be the full size American trucks with V6 or small V8. These are the stripper vehicles sold to fleet buyers looking for an economical, durable work truck. Fuel mileage, around 20 mpg highway, is not as good as the Mahindra. They've got similar payload to the Mahindra, they're roomier inside, and they are less expensive to buy.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idINIndia-42041620090828

Reuters is reporting that Mahindra & Mahindra is considering the purchase of an auto plant in USA to manufacture their diesel pickup and SUV. Chrysler, GM and now Toyota have announced plant closings in USA, so M&M should be able to buy a plant for a bargain price.

The original business model for M&M vehicles in USA had been to import them as knocked-down kits, and reassemble them somewhere in North America. This is how Mercedes Sprinters are imported, for example.

That plan was scrapped. The current plan is to build the vehicles in India and import them fully assembled. However, fully assembled trucks face a 25% import tariff. In the long run, Mahindra & Mahindra needs to build the trucks here.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The base Tacoma 2wd is just over $15k and is rated at 26 mpg highway, so really, why would you spend $7k more for a Mahindra?

Well, two points:

1) Toyota just announced that its shutting down the NUMMI plant where the Tacoma is produced, which means that the 25% chicken tax will apply to future Tacomas.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iQBEwXHC6U1bXKTzzQiTXZbJnsVQD9ABBBSG0

2) The Ranger is dead after 2009, so that is no longer a competitor.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-rangers-fate-up-in-air.html

Factor those into the math and suddenly the Mahindra doesn't look as bad.

Last edited:

HINO SG

Adventurer
1) Toyota just announced that its shutting down the NUMMI plant where the Tacoma is produced, which means that the 25% chicken tax will apply to future Tacomas.

I think production is moving to Mexico, which is protected by NAFTA; there are several Big 3 truck models that have been produced in Canada and Mexico.

haven

Expedition Leader
NUMMI will continue to operate until Spring 2010. Toyota announced
today that production of the Tacoma will move to the San Antonio, TX
factory, with production starting in Summer 2010. San Antonio is the
factory where the Tundra is made today.

The Tacoma is due for a redesign for the 2012 model year. I wonder
if they will follow the lead of Nissan, and design the next Tacoma to
use the same frame as the Tundra. That means there would be
no need for an assembly line dedicated solely to Tacoma. Nissan
uses the F-Alpha frame for the Titan, Frontier, Armada, Pathfinder
and XTerra.

jkam

nomadic man
Visiting family in Vegas and the business behind my brothers does testing for a lot of manufacturers.

This morning I saw a truck unloading some Mahindra pickups. Talked to an Indian guy who will be testing and he offered to let me test drive one once they get it sorted out. It's a diesel 4 door automatic so it should be interesting. I'll let y'all know my thoughts.

Took a few pictures of the the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 197

winkosmosis

Explorer
Pickuptrucks.com got to drive two Mahindra & Mahindra models in Atlanta recently. The report is here
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/taj-mahauler-we-drive-the-mahindra-diesel-pik-up.html

Neither of the trucks is configured the same as the USA version will be, but they provided a positive impression. The author writes, "What we found was that parts of the trucks managed to only live up to our low expectations, but we also came away impressed -- no, stunned really -- by how well the trucks are setup in certain areas."

The author roundly criticizes the pickup's interior fit and finish. (The interior is not the same as the one planned for USA.) He liked the road manners and the diesel performance with the 5 speed manual transmission. "Overall, ride quality and noise, vibration and harshness is very competitive with current U.S. midsize pickups, if not superior to some."

Next up, the Scorpio SUV. Here the interior was much more harmonious and better screwed together. But the handling of the SUV was too sloppy, and the engine occasionally had too much turbo lag. Again, this vehicle is not the same as the model that will be imported next year.

All Mahindra models will have a 6 speed automatic when the showrooms open for business next February. But there's a chance the 5 speed manual will be an option later.

The author concludes that if the new Mahindra models for USA can live up to the advertised 30 mpg highway, 2600 lb carrying capacity and 5000 lb towing, then they will find buyers looking for a work truck.

Specs don't matter. American work truck buyers will take one look at it and walk away. Size matters here unfortunately.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I got to drive a crew cab manual a few days ago here in Chile. I liked the power and ride, stiffer riding then say a stock Tacoma. It had a relatively hefty feel to it. At idle there is definatley some vibration and harshness but the ergonomics seemed pretty good for the short drive I had on it. Rear seat leg room was pretty good, better than I expected I think the bed is too short with the crew cab for real hauling duty though. Just my take on it. Overall I really like it, the styling doesn't look so bad to me any more either.

DavidG

Adventurer
I want to see a 4-door sans decals, with a decent size mud tire on steel wheels. I really want to like this truck, but visually it's failing to grow on me. Crooked (and ugly) decals, crooked door handle, typical boring alloys, large and funky black (plastic?) cab vent? Paint the vent body color, offset the intercooler and hood scoop. The styling is peculiar, very much a combination of modern front clip with 1980's pickup. Spec-wise, it appears to scratch all the right itches, but I wish Mahindra would get their act together and start offering drives...the US importer is practically in my backyard!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Would there be any interest in this if it was a gas powered 4 cylinder? Probably not much. I think it's going to be a tough sell here.

theMec

Adventurer
Specs don't matter. American work truck buyers will take one look at it and walk away. Size matters here unfortunately.

This may be true but I'd guess most of the trucks in the US are "play" trucks and not used daily in work situations. Driving to work, yes - but not used for work.

Also when fleet work truck buyers see they can get an extra 10+ miles gallon, they might well consider the Mahindra. Sure the work truck driver might moan but they don't own the company.

The above is pure speculation on my part. Time will tell. I have to say I really like the tie downs on the outside of the bed. Very functional.

scooby074

Personally i really like this truck. I think its going to fill a needed niche thats being overlooked by the majors.

I like the bed design. I could have been lifted right off a first gen toyota. Tie downs are great.

I hope people will give it a chance. Theres been several delays bringing it to market here. I wonder if they're trying to smooth out some of the issues ive read about (fit and finish and ride)

I want this to be a success, and i really think that Toyota and Ford (and maybe the others) will begin selling compact diesels if this things a hit. (hello diesel hilux:victory:) As a owner of a compact Tacoma (1995.5) i think that Toyota has lost their way, and maybe the success of a vehicle like the mahindra will bring them back to what made the successful.

About the only shortfalls i see are that mahindra is only bringing the full load models over, complete with flappy paddle gearbox which negates any price advantage they'll have over the likes of established brands like Toyota. Plus these models are more complicated which could result in some durability issues.

I say they should have brought over the stripped down models, established a market presence for price and durability, then brought over the Deluxe models.

Oh... and they need bring it to Canada too :mad:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I was in downtown Santiago a couple of days ago and passed a Mahindra dealer. They had an ambulance version of the Mahindra pickup for sale on the lot. Looked like a factory offering, VERY impressive looking potential overland rig right off the showroom floor. Wish I could have snapped some shots of it.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Found a shot of it online....

ambulancia.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal