Mahindra 4x4 pickup

Bogo

Adventurer
The author concludes that if the new Mahindra models for USA can live up to the advertised 30 mpg highway, 2600 lb carrying capacity and 5000 lb towing, then they will find buyers looking for a work truck.

Yep. It would be a good match for many farms. You could buy a pallet of steel fence t posts, and 5 to 7 bails of barbwire and drive directly to the field. My Toyota 4x4 mini truck is about 1000lbs shy of being able to do that.

Bogo

Adventurer
Specs don't matter. American work truck buyers will take one look at it and walk away. Size matters here unfortunately.

Yep, size matters. For years and years I've been wanting a small truck that can carry a full ton plus fuel, driver and passengers. It seams that whenever I go get supplies it is usually close to a ton. A bed that can hold 7' t-posts with the tailgate closed would be nice. No worrying about them sliding out the back on steep inclines like I have on the farm.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yep, size matters. For years and years I've been wanting a small truck that can carry a full ton plus fuel, driver and passengers. It seams that whenever I go get supplies it is usually close to a ton. A bed that can hold 7' t-posts with the tailgate closed would be nice. No worrying about them sliding out the back on steep inclines like I have on the farm.

1.38 Ton capacity and a 7.5' bed on the 2-door, sounds like a perfect fit.

Personally, I just wish they had the "long bed" on the 4-door...

Gurkha

Adventurer
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/41064-mahindra-scorpio-issues-solutions.html

Folks, please take a look at this thread, as I mentioned before, I and many of my friends are ex Mahindra owners, I owned Armada and Scorpio, most of my friends owned Scorpios.

http://www.consumercomplaints.in/co...nd-service-centre-said-no-problem-c71923.html

This is a very common complaint, one thats faced by many, sad part is the engine cuts off during a high speed highway run and you are left with a dead engine in the middle of nowhere.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Wow, reading over that. It sounds like their service places suck pretty bad. Granted, that's not much different from many american cars we have now.

The second link, while unfortunate, actually looks like the vehicle was behaving appropriately. A log of US spec long haul trucks will do the same thing if they decide the engine is going to hurt it self, they just turn it off and refuse to let it start until the issue is taken care of. My mom (yes a truck driving mom) has had this happen at least 2x. Wresting a truck + 50ft trailer to the side of the road with a dead engine is not fun.

I still hope they bring it over. If someone doesn't prove out that there is a market for little diesel trucks we'll never get the hilux and whatnot. Heck, we still don't even get the Diesel JKs that are made in Ohio!

Jason

Gurkha

Adventurer
The check engine light issue at high speed affects many, the sad part is the company gives that same old tired bull crap excuse to all and sends them away only for it to occur again at some given point when you are least expecting it. Being poorly sprung, the drive train is also prone to some real shocks leading to premature drive train failure if you intend to do some driving on rough roads. Let me reassert, it will never be in the same league or class of a Toyota Hi Lux in terms of finesse, performance, driveability, quality or reliability. The Hi Lux with D4D engine is a pleasure to drive. Not so with the Scorpio.

dzzz

It seems the attraction is diesel. If they have good sales, wouldn't Toyota and Nissan begin selling diesels? I know I would pay $5K more for a diesel Toyota compared to Mahindra.
The 3/4 ton and up U.S. pickups have a diesel option. These aren't Tacoma competitors, but they are a good base for a bigger EV. Too bad GM cancelled their mid size diesel plan. Hopefully Ford will build a midsize diesel similar to the big diesel they are releasing in the spring.

theMec

Adventurer
It seems the attraction is diesel.

Umm, yes, the attraction is better fuel mileage, engine longevity and torque - everyone's order is different.

Too bad GM cancelled their mid size diesel plan. Hopefully Ford will build a midsize diesel similar to the big diesel they are releasing in the spring.

Too bad all three (GM, Dodge & Ford) cancelled their midsize engines. I think all three engines were fully developed, or very close, also.

journey

Observer
I saw a Mahindra in person today. It was ugly, which made it charming. I was in the northern suburbs of Atlanta. It looked to be the same one pictured in the article from post #213. I am really hoping the American version has all the kinks worked out. The first year could make or break the mahindra's reputation in America and I really want a four door diesel.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

Hey I am just cutting in here, I have not read all the previous pages or posts. But....

Have you thought about a PInzgauer? The 712 or 6x6 sounds exactly like what you need/want. They are 2-door, can carry a 7ft timber in the back, will climb any hill even in mud and they are small enough to fit on ATV trails.

scooby074

I saw a Mahindra in person today. It was ugly, which made it charming. I was in the northern suburbs of Atlanta. It looked to be the same one pictured in the article from post #213. I am really hoping the American version has all the kinks worked out. The first year could make or break the mahindra's reputation in America and I really want a four door diesel.

Did the one you see have a "Push bar" on the front? Ive seen several pictures of the US spec models with a add on push bar i guess to meet crash specs, looks aweful IMHO. Pics here http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/09/spied-usspec-mahindra-tr40-diesel-pickup.html

MDH33

Observer
I saw a white 4 door in Breckenridge last week. I almost ran a stop light to chase it. I think they look great. Unique from other rigs on the road. I would, of course rather see Toyota bring the 70 series trucks over here, but I hope Mahindra does well.

78Bronco

Explorer
This truck would look so much better with a winch bumper to improve approach angle, etc. Designers and engineers still don't get it:Wow1: that current bumper is ugly and does nothing for function.

6a00d83451b3c669e20120a586033c970b-800wi

MDH33

Observer
This truck would look so much better with a winch bumper to improve approach angle, etc. Designers and engineers still don't get it:Wow1: that current bumper is ugly and does nothing for function.

photo-chop for comparison. :)

671188026_BmPHN-O.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal