Mahindra 4x4 pickup

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
:Wow1::Wow1::drool::drool::smiley_drive::smiley_drive:

This guy has a bunch of real-life Mahindra pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanleyelliott/

3389636731_199fbecfa1_o.jpg
[/QUOTE]

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I REALLLY like that truck!

I'm gonna say that CA is likely not going to let us have a diesel version, though stranger things have happened.

(for example, the diesel liberty and G. Cherokee have never been offered here...stupid)

haven

Expedition Leader
thanks for the link to the Flickr photos. Here's
one that shows a 2 inch suspension? body?
lift, sitting next to a stock height Mahindra.

mahindra2inchlift.jpg

The company that makes it is kitcar.cl, located in Santiago, Chile.
They also make the snorkel and bumper shown in a previous photo.

Comparing dimensions of the Mahindra pickup to other trucks,

Mahindra regular cab 4x4
Overall height 71.8 inches
Overall width 69.7
Overall length 206.7
Wheelbase 119.7
Bed length 7.5 feet

Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab
Overall height 65.7
Overall width 72.2
Overall length 190.4
Wheelbase 109.4
Bed length 6.1 feet

F150 regular cab 4x4
Overall height 76
Overall width 78.9
Overall length 231.7
Wheelbase 145
Bed length 8 feet

So the Mahindra is about halfway between the midsize Tacoma
and the full size Ford.

Thinking about using the Mahindra offroad, the rear overhang of
the 7 foot pickup box looks to be a limiting factor.

mahindra-pickup-1.jpg

Shorten the bed to a 6 foot length like the Tacoma, and that problem
is solved. Now where did I leave my plasma cutter?

alosix

Expedition Leader
Its nothing Mr Plasma can't fix.

Though honeslty.. most of us would probably pull the bed and go 'ute' style to finish the look :)

Jason

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Thinking about using the Mahindra offroad, the rear overhang of
the 7 foot pickup box looks to be a limiting factor.

Shorten the bed to a 6 foot length like the Tacoma, and that problem
is solved. Now where did I leave my plasma cutter?

Sorta like the T-100, though KC seems to not have any problems traveling the back country with his.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Looks like the chassis/wheelbase may have been designed for the Cab/SUV, and the bed/overhang was not planned for. Not a big deal for 'utility' use but certainly not ideal for more challenging back-country travel.

Agreed = T100

ywen

Explorer
Well seeing that Mahindra still build CJs in India, you'd think if this pickup sells well, they might come out with a version more geared towards off-roading.. perhaps even a challenger to the Wrangler?

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
But discounting them solely based on their warranty and comparing them to a Taco (or any other Yota) that now has a tarnished name before they've even had their moment to shine is not really fair.

I'm not discounting them, I'm just assessing the reality and am currious as to how viable they will be long term. The current truck market ain't exactly screaming, and Mahindra's timing can certainly been seen as .... shall we say interesting. As far as their product goes, at around the same price point comparing them to a Tacoma/Frontier is a fair assessment in my eyes. Both the Tacoma/Frontier are proven platforms, just look around this site for examples. Both have very good reliability/ durability ratings, both have better warranties, and both are more polished in terms of fit finish, and technology. As a measure of value, looking at quality, ability, and risk of purchase, realistically which direction do you think most people will lean.

I will keep my eye on them, Mahindra certainly has made an interesting move in the market, but they would need to make a more compelling argument, either fiscally or with a more a competitive product if they wanted my money. That's just my honest assessment.

winkosmosis

Explorer
Wow.. so it's the styling that makes it look like a mini truck. Now it makes more sense why the cab looks so narrow in pics, like vertical coffin.

They really need to find some better designers.

peterjems

I would love to give it a try at this. I have been to India a couple of time and it has been a big hit there. The traders use this to have their goods supplied to the cities. It is a pretty strong contender on the Indian roads but here it has to fight its way right from the bottom.

Viggen

Just here...
Im super interested in it. Sure the front bumper is ugly, but that can be remedied with some steel and a welder and the interior isnt the most luxurious BUT, and most importantly, it is the ONLY light duty diesel truck in our market and with that, I am very interested. Its going to have a longer warranty than most new cars and I would also purchase an extended warranty plan as a just in case. I would think that most people who have a geniune use of a truck would be into this. Good hp/ tq figures, diesel for increased engine life and mpg, full frame, upright seating for visibility...Im sold.

My only gripe is that the interior center stack looks like its angry at you...
500x_Mahindra_Truck_INT.jpg

mlabbep

My Mahindra Scorpio from Chile

Mahindra Scorpio 2009 Chile
En Lo Valdes Cajon del Maipo Chile
3768923976_b1530b53b4_b.jpg

3768125695_a702d1a55d_b.jpg

3768926700_5ac0927c40_b.jpg

Modification Sept 2009

4090744587_81b78c8637_b.jpg

4090744069_be5ba14f77_b.jpg

4091511866_7d3db2d5fc_b.jpg

By mlabbep Chile

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, mlabbep!

Thanks for sharing the photos of your Mahindra Scorpio. Looks like there are plenty of opportunities in the mountains near Santiago to use four wheel drive!

Does your truck have the 2.6L or 2.2L diesel engine? Have you experienced any problems with your SUV?

In USA, Mahindra will start selling the pickup next month, and the SUV in about a year.

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk