Mahindra 4x4 pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
I noticed that, too. In the early days, they were promising mid-30s highway, and now its simply 30 mpg highway. That will put the city rating around 20 mpg, and combined rating near 23 mpg (I'm guessing).

That's still pretty impressive. A Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0L V6 with automatic is rated 14 city, 18 highway and 15 mpg combined. A Tacoma 4x4 with 2.7L I4 and 5 speed is rated at 17 city, 22 highway, 19 mpg combined. Neither truck has a carrying capacity close to the 2600 lbs of the Mahindra.

Gurkha

Adventurer
They could have some very nice color choices - Yellow curry, green curry, and red curry. The white could be called Yoghurt.

I used to eat Indian food on a regular basis back in Australia, but haven't had it for a long time now...

I've been watching the news on this release, and it will be interesting to see what they come up with and what possible changes/features they'll work out for the US market. They might just bring the truck to attack the "work truck" or "farming" market and stay away from the average joe who would want to commute with it.

I got news for you..........Indians don't eat curry, you won't find curry in India. That thing was invented by a Britisher in the late 1800s to make ease cooking Indian food for westerners.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
The American free market is littered with good examples of cheap junk that tickled consumer fancy for a brief period.
It's great that Americans are open to giving things a chance but usually they soon fall by the wayside because established brands are worth the extra $ and/or the quality is so piss-poor it isn't worth the bottom dollar asking price.

It's a cool concept- one that is sadly neglected in the US market- simple, solid axle diesel consumer work trucks. However, are you telling me you would still buy a Mahinra 4x4 if Toyota decided to bring a d-4d Hilux 4x4 here?

All I'm saying is if the market begins to get tapped, Mahindra is going to have a tough time of it because they build cheap stuff, have no dealer base or consumer recognition or loyalty. All it takes is one major US player to pick up the ball and it's game over.

Maybe with the aquisition of Land Rover, India's build standards will come up in general from osmosis and Tata's global reach but that's not a 1-5year goal. That's a 10-20 year goal at the earliest.

The most incredible ramp up is Hyundai and the Korean auto industry that only took 15-20 years in the US market to build world competitive products. I don't see India's auto industry in the same position.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
I noticed that, too. In the early days, they were promising mid-30s highway, and now its simply 30 mpg highway. That will put the city rating around 20 mpg, and combined rating near 23 mpg (I'm guessing).

That's still pretty impressive. A Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0L V6 with automatic is rated 14 city, 18 highway and 15 mpg combined. A Tacoma 4x4 with 2.7L I4 and 5 speed is rated at 17 city, 22 highway, 19 mpg combined. Neither truck has a carrying capacity close to the 2600 lbs of the Mahindra.

My TDI Nissan Navara does 25mpg highway

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
India's fuel economy rating is very different than the US. I wonder if Mahindra's is US EPA mpg's or India's mpg rating. If so, actual US mpg rating will be lower.

MPG ratings for older cars is also different than new cars in the USA. They are no longer directly comparable

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I will counter with the fact that Mahindra has been selling their tractors in the US for quite some time. If they can compete with John Deer and still remain in business, they must be doing something right.

If Mahindra's truck is $20k and a diesel Tacoma was starting at $25k, yes, I would look at a Mahindra as a possible alternative.

gary in ohio

Explorer
India's fuel economy rating is very different than the US. I wonder if Mahindra's is US EPA mpg's or India's mpg rating. If so, actual US mpg rating will be lower.

MPG ratings for older cars is also different than new cars in the USA. They are no longer directly comparable

Not an issue if you compare same model year cars. Ratings when the vehicle is offered forsale will be US standard so MPG comparison would be easy.

Gurkha

Adventurer
I will counter with the fact that Mahindra has been selling their tractors in the US for quite some time. If they can compete with John Deer and still remain in business, they must be doing something right.

If Mahindra's truck is $20k and a diesel Tacoma was starting at $25k, yes, I would look at a Mahindra as a possible alternative.

For $5k you are willing to trade off the reliability of the Toyota as well as the performance for an unknown vehicle from a questionable background. Suggest you come down to India and see their products in action. Maybe then you will have some idea. I am not saying that they die right after you take em out of showroom, they certainly are nowhere near the Toyota. Even the Toyota Innova MUV based on Hi Lux D4D sold in India platform outlasts any Mahindra products with ease and their reputation is bulletproof among fleet users who have now abandoned Mahindra Scorpio for Toyota.

For $5k you are willing to trade off the reliability of the Toyota

What toyota? I just went to the Toyota site. I tried to look at a two door long bed. Guess what. To get a "long bet" (which hapens to be the same size as their "standard bed") you have to get a 4 door.

If I want a small engine, (it's just me and my 60 pound kayak) I have to "
Change Long Bed to Standard Bed, Double Cab to Regular Cab, and 5-Speed Automatic to 5-Speed Manual,"

My point is THERE IS NO TOYATA, FORD, GM, NISSAN for those of us who just want to haul our bicycles and yaks around and don't need the capacity to haul a couple of tons of bricks with a 10 liter engine.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Hopefully this will spur the current companies to develop or release small diesel pick-ups to the US market. Maybe Ford will keep the Ranger and Toyota will introduce a pick-up that is the size of the early trucks or at least the 1st gen Tacoma. One can always hope.

You really think there is a market for small slow pick ups?
In most parts of the world they only drive them because they cant afford the cost of running more thirsty petrol versions.
You can drive a large pick up in the US and have the same fuel bill you would get in Europe for driving a small diesel truck.

I dont think Americans will put up with these unless the cost of fuel soars and stays there for the forseeable future.

SGV

Adventurer
You really think there is a market for small slow pick ups?
In most parts of the world they only drive them because they cant afford the cost of running more thirsty petrol versions.
You can drive a large pick up in the US and have the same fuel bill you would get in Europe for driving a small diesel truck.

I dont think Americans will put up with these unless the cost of fuel soars and stays there for the foreseeable future.

No, actually I don't. But it would be nice to have the option of a high mpg small truck. A quick check at edmunds the best I can find for a 4wd is 20mpg for the 4cylinder GMC Canyon, and I am sure it makes much less power than a diesel would. Also, the other day while bored I "built your own" a diesel Ford truck. $40K seems like a lot to spend on a truck. Anyway, I was merely speculating. I agree that Americans won't buy small or slow unless they absolutely are forced to.

Come to think of it, aren't the current 4-cyl gas trucks slow?

Crikeymike

Adventurer
I got news for you..........Indians don't eat curry, you won't find curry in India. That thing was invented by a Britisher in the late 1800s to make ease cooking Indian food for westerners.

Well it's a good thing that I have no plans to go to India, cause now I know that I won't have to try and find curry there.

Don't forget, everyone, that the US-spec of a vehicle is almost always different than what is offered overseas. I'm sure Mahindra makes some cheap, low-cost trucks over there, but those aren't necessarily what will end up over here.

If the D4D Hilux was sold here, or at least if that running gear was optioned into a Tacoma here, then the sales would be pretty strong.

Gurkha

Adventurer
Well it's a good thing that I have no plans to go to India, cause now I know that I won't have to try and find curry there.

Don't forget, everyone, that the US-spec of a vehicle is almost always different than what is offered overseas. I'm sure Mahindra makes some cheap, low-cost trucks over there, but those aren't necessarily what will end up over here.

If the D4D Hilux was sold here, or at least if that running gear was optioned into a Tacoma here, then the sales would be pretty strong.

Mahindra has no technology tie ups on anvil, the engine offered in US is the same 2.2L that does duty here.

D4D would be an excellent option indeed, thats one frugal, efficient and reliable engine there.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Heh heh. Low quality? Unrefined?

People said that about Japanese cars/trucks when they first came out, too.

the guy apparently knows what hes talking about..

..so what are you recommending here?...

are you saying in 20 years this company will be making high quality vehicles, so someone should run out and buy hunk of poo now?

they guy lives with these trucks every day, hes giving a friendly warning...

im heeding it.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Your negativity in this thread has been noted (again and again). How about we wait and see what the US version of the truck is like before we write it off completely. I have a feeling that it is well known that American's are pretty picky when it comes to the vehicles they buy and Mahindra is not going to waste their time and money bringing a poorly built vehicle here. Both the engine and interior are going to be completely different than what's offered on other countries so maybe, just maybe it might be a decent truck.

tell that to peugeut and fiat and hugo and land rover and triumph and dihatsu.... etc.... etc.... etc....

all had issues from the get go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal