Massive Toyota lawsuit effects Tacomas, Sequoias and Tundras

JLee

Adventurer
Toyota bought my Tacoma back in 2008 due to frame rust. I'm really surprised they haven't fixed this yet.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Toyota bought my Tacoma back in 2008 due to frame rust. I'm really surprised they haven't fixed this yet.
They did a service campaign about a year ago for 2005 to 2008 trucks, inspection and frame replacement when needed. This is an expansion of that I guess. This is a separate issue from the 1995 to 2004 buy-back/recall, although the underlying reasons are probably common. I wouldn't be surprised to see that 2011+ eventually have the same rust issues. I bought my 2008 because Toyota said the 2005+ solved it. Then they said 2009+ wasn't an issue because it's a different vendor. Clearly none of that was true.

DaveInDenver

I'm not sure the 4Runner doesn't (or won't eventually) have the problem. One thing about 4Runners is they all get at least one exposure to salt water and sea air during their transport from Japan. The Tacoma does not, being built in California, Texas or Mexico. So potentially ones that spend their whole lives in the southwest will never rust.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2000/toyota/4runner/structure/problem.aspx
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/148656-frame-welds-rusting-already.html
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/97489-picture-4runner-rust-check-your-frames.html

I was looking at some old photos and came across some from our 2005 4Runner. We sold it in 2008, so at 3 years old it had the signs that my Tacoma is showing. Primarily that rust starts developing at the welds and the rear axle started rusting. Obviously at 3 years it's not bad but my 1991 after 25 years (both were 100% Colorado truck their whole lives) still looked like this, so I don't think any of them are made as well anymore.

35.jpg 43.jpg 39.jpg

I'm not waiting for a maybe, someday from Toyota. I get after rust, wire wheel, paint, Fluid Film, etc.

bkg

Explorer
If I remember correctly, much of.these issues started when Toyota engaged Dana to design (and build?) the truck frames. I've never been a fan of the results.

Clutch

<---Pass
If I remember correctly, much of.these issues started when Toyota engaged Dana to design (and build?) the truck frames. I've never been a fan of the results.

Where are they sourcing their steel from?

DaveInDenver

Dana built the 1995-2004 frames as well as the 2005-2008. The factory was sold or a name change in 2009 so technically frames from 2009 on come from a different supplier. I think they were actually made in Mexico at Metalsa, which used to be a Dana plant.

What I think isn't mentioned is that Toyota is only one manufacturer that uses Dana-made parts. Ford has a lot of stuff made at Dana and they make other components for heavy machinery and stuff. Only Toyota frames have this rust? Maybe it's a specification of the steel, paint or corrosion protection. Dana is going to do what they are contracted to do. If Ford tells them to use a wax coating and Toyota doesn't then is the problem really with Dana?

Clutch

<---Pass
That makes no difference at all when discussing corrosion.

Depends on the quality steel, so I think it matters. Just look at the old Toyota frames like Dave's '91 to the Tacomas. What is the reason that the newer trucks have such a problem?

toyotech

Expedition Leader

Toyota is the only one owning up to it. Just be glad Toyota is addressing the issue instead of leaving the customer with a rusty frame and no support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz