Massive Toyota lawsuit effects Tacomas, Sequoias and Tundras

Clutch

<---Pass

Yeah happens to all of them, even my old '76 F250 succumbed to rust, that was back in PA, where if there were 3 snow flakes in the sky...out come the salt trucks!....it took 30 years, but it did eventually fail.

Guessing because the steel has gotten thinner and thinner on new[er] vehicles...they just rust out quicker.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
i'm going to undercoat my FJ soon as at 3 years old it is already showing some rust signs.

Not too crazy about under coat, over time it hardens develops cracks...leaves pockets for water to collect. Probably times have changed as has been close to 30 years since the last time I had a vehicle that was under coated...products could be better now.

Might be better off POR-15 the frame then do a seasonal fluid film coating. At least that is what I am doing since I am back living back in area that uses deicing on its' roadways, though it isn't as bad as back in PA. Kinda got spoiled with the lack of rust living in AZ for the past 20 years

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yeah happens to all of them, even my old '76 F250 succumbed to rust, that was back in PA, where if there were 3 snow flakes in the sky...out come the salt trucks!....it took 30 years, but it did eventually fail.

Guessing because the steel has gotten thinner and thinner on new[er] vehicles...they just rust out quicker.

I'd still take a new truck over an older one

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd still take a new truck over an older one

The new ones make the old stuff seem barbaric.

I am kinda in the middle, want enough modern conveniences (like EFI) without going over the top. Some of the stuff vehicles are coming with now-a-days is getting to be a little much...like auto parking, auto braking, etc...believe that is going to create more and more unskilled drivers. Of course I see the day coming where we won't be allowed to drive our own vehicles. Think I complain a lot about not be able to find a manual transmission...just wait. ;)

sticker,220x200-bg,ffffff-pad,220x200,ffffff.u1.jpg

Last edited:

brushogger

Explorer
I don't understand why LandRover gets a pass on the discovery II 4.6 liter slipping issue. That was a 5k$ fix and they bore no responsibility for it as soon as warranty was up. Mine died at 72k miles.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The new ones make the old stuff seem barbaric.

I am kinda in the middle, want enough modern conveniences (like EFI) without going over the top. Some of the stuff vehicles are coming with now-a-days is getting to be a little much...like auto parking, auto braking, etc...believe that is going to create more and more unskilled drivers. Of course I see the day coming where we won't be allowed to drive our own vehicles. Think I complain a lot about not be able to find a manual transmission...just wait. ;)

sticker,220x200-bg,ffffff-pad,220x200,ffffff.u1.jpg

Eh there's a huge difference between the f250 and a model t. I'm sure someone back then would have said the same thing. It's all perspective.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Depends on the quality steel, so I think it matters. Just look at the old Toyota frames like Dave's '91 to the Tacomas. What is the reason that the newer trucks have such a problem?
This was my 1991 when I had it for sale in November of 2015. I did wash it pretty faithfully in the winter to keep too much gunk from building up. I also started coating the frame each winter with Fluid Film in about 2012. But the first 21 years it was just normal usage, nothing special. The C31 that's painted on it is from the factory. This truck was made in Japan.

IMG_4086_mid.jpg

IMG_4079_mid.jpg

IMG_4085_mid.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

This was a recent touch up I did when putting the lift on the 2008. This was in July 2016, so about 8 years old. And I Fluid Film coated it the previous winter, so this is really 7 years of corrosion on a truck with about 58K miles at the time. My truck inspected by Toyota under the previous limited service campaign for 2005-2008 trucks.

This is what they said:
  • 9/17/15
  • RECALL ESD. FRAME INSPECTED-NO SIGNIFICANT PERFORATION FOUND.
  • RECALL ESD. FRAME INSPECTED-NO SIGNIFICANT PERFORATION FOUND. ~|~CUST REQ THE ESD CAMPAIGN ~|~.OPEN CAMPAIGN ~|~46727 C/ ESD CAMPAIGN C/ ESD CAMPAIGN OPEN R/ PERFORM ESD CAMPAIGN 3607G1 60 R/ PERFORM ESD CAMPAIGN PERFORMED RECALL AS PER MANUFACTURER INSTRUCTIONS
  • WARRANTY PAY

So it was just surface rust according to them (which I tend to believe). I've also coated the insides of the boxed sections with an Eastwood internal epoxy stuff, it's a pale green. I don't see anyway that had I not started wire wheel, prime, paint, coating this frame that it would still be around in 21 years like my last truck. I don't think it has anything to do with the steel thickness or quality, it's a process or paint issue. Either they are not cleaning them well before coating or the paint isn't adhering or there's a lack of anti-corrosion applied over the paint.

IMG_0728_mid.jpg

IMG_0734_mid.jpg

IMG_0726_mid.jpg

IMG_0731_mid.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

@Dave: Be interested if the steel alloy is indeed different between the models.
That's something Toyota could tell you. I doubt that the truck prior to 1995 had a fancy alloy. Materials science and manufacturing was less sophisticated back then so Toyota IMHO tended to over build things on purpose not being able to run FMEA or having decent modeling to know where they needed material and where it can be thinned.

It should be said that Toyota frames even back then did have a tendency to rust and fracture at the bend in front of the rear fixed spring perch. Being fully boxed they would pack in with mud and just rot. Your Tacoma has this same issue. The 2nd gen is open C-channel from under front door all the way back, so this isn't an issue anymore. You can get in there and keep it clean there.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha. My 60 can still be crank started :D

Schweeet!

That's something Toyota could tell you. I doubt that the truck prior to 1995 had a fancy alloy. Materials science and manufacturing was less sophisticated back then so Toyota IMHO tended to over build things on purpose not being able to run FMEA or having decent modeling to know where they needed material and where it can be thinned.

It should be said that Toyota frames even back then did have a tendency to rust and fracture at the bend in front of the rear fixed spring perch. Being fully boxed they would pack in with mud and just rot. Your Tacoma has this same issue. The 2nd gen is open C-channel from under front door all the way back, so this isn't an issue anymore. You can get in there and keep it clean there.

Toyota has had the market cornered on rust for a while. The thinner sheet metal on the bodies (compared to American trucks at the time) didn't last too long back in PA.

I have to be a bit more diligent on cleaning the undercarriage now here, compared to AZ. Reminds of living in PA, would would wait until the roads dried out, then go hit the car wash...or crank on the torpedo heater in the garage and hose it off in there.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Schweeet!

Toyota has had the market cornered on rust for a while. The thinner sheet metal on the bodies (compared to American trucks at the time) didn't last too long back in PA.

I have to be a bit more diligent on cleaning the undercarriage now here, compared to AZ. Reminds of living in PA, would would wait until the roads dried out, then go hit the car wash...or crank on the torpedo heater in the garage and hose it off in there.

Remind me. I'll take a picture and show you the hole and crank. You can see where it's designed to kick out the handle once it's started.

Clutch

<---Pass
Remind me. I'll take a picture and show you the hole and crank. You can see where it's designed to kick out the handle once it's started.

That would be cool, I am trying to visualize where it would go, enough clearance under the radiator for the hand crank?

Edit: Found this! not a 60 but hey...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz