Massive Toyota lawsuit effects Tacomas, Sequoias and Tundras

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I'm no metallurgist but the frames on my FJ60 and FZJ80 "aged" in no way similar to my 2005 Tacoma. All are/were SW trucks for their entire life and the 60/80 look practically new...My Tacoma had a lot of surface corrosion and lived a garaged life in AZ for 10 years before I traded it in last year.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm no metallurgist but the frames on my FJ60 and FZJ80 "aged" in no way similar to my 2005 Tacoma. All are/were SW trucks for their entire life and the 60/80 look practically new...My Tacoma had a lot of surface corrosion and lived a garaged life in AZ for 10 years before I traded it in last year.

So what you're saying is, if you want a Toyota pickup, but you don't want the frame rust issue. We should contact Slee? :D

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features...es-the-best-toyota-parts-in-one-land-cruiser/

001a-toyota-land-cruiser-79-series-pickup-lead.jpg

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
That would be cool, I am trying to visualize where it would go, enough clearance under the radiator for the hand crank?

Edit: Found this! not a 60 but hey...

All of the 60s sold here have ac. So the radiator is bigger. So it does block it. But if I dumped the ac and installed a radiator from overseas I could :). I apologize for derailing the thread. 60s have an oil cooler as well. I'm pretty sure nothing else in the 80s or 90s had a factory oil cooler. Do you ever go on to mud?

snow686

They replaced my frame. Did a good job. My truck looks brand new from the bottom.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Frame rot is a problem elsewhere. Apparently the Nissan Navara in Australia has had some of the same issues the Tacoma does here.

http://www.europe4x4mag.com/2016/03/03/pick-ups-check-chassis/

Nissan-Navarra-chassis23-535-size.jpg

Probably from running up and down the beaches there....salt water is nasty!

Learned that lesson real quick in Baja...first time there was playing on the beach blasting through the surf...next morning was shocked how much rust was on the bike, was almost instant.

All the trips after that, I stay up high away from the water. Had a bud loose his bike in one of the mud flats, tide came in, was submerged over night...darn near all of the magnesium parts were corroded away.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Any boxed frame runs a risk of internal rust especially if it has a high iron content in the metal. That and pretty much minimal to zero surface treatment.

Toyotas mistake was simply making other parts last too long. If the rest of the car was junker status by the time frame rust was an issue people would simply be buying new rigs.

bkg

Explorer
Any boxed frame runs a risk of internal rust especially if it has a high iron content in the metal. That and pretty much minimal to zero surface treatment.

Toyotas mistake was simply making other parts last too long. If the rest of the car was junker status by the time frame rust was an issue people would simply be buying new rigs.
Except Toyota has t used fully boxed frames in trucks since 1994... And your last statement makes no sense....

Honu

lost on the mainland
living in the islands
in general the only old rigs you tend to see around are Toyota :) all the others have rusted out to the point they fall apart

Last edited:

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Except Toyota has t used fully boxed frames in trucks since 1994... And your last statement makes no sense....

My 05 Sequoia is boxed. And unfortunately, I've had it for exactly 12 years and 1 month, so I'm not eligible for the replacement.

I can't see inside the frame, but there's little more than surface rust on the outside. Kentucky uses salt, but not much of it.

The point of the sentence is that there's a lot of attention paid to the frame because that seems to a common major assembly that failed with these models. If a variety of components were failing, then it wouldn't be so obvious.

I still swear by my Sequoia. 240K miles, 2 timing belts, a fuel pump, and a camshaft sensor. I've got no complaints.

JLee

Adventurer

The Tacoma frame rust is a problem. My 1998 was bought back by Toyota in 2008 - you could drive a screwdriver through the frame.

If the lifetime of a Tacoma was 10 years, nobody would be buying them.

bkg

Explorer
My Sequoia is boxed. And its on that list. Sections of the Taco are boxed also. Thats part of the problem.

So why are all of the competitors who have gone to boxed frames not having the same problem? I think its less the design and more quality of steal and finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz