Massive Toyota lawsuit effects Tacomas, Sequoias and Tundras

Clutch

<---Pass
The next vehicle I buy will be my retirement vehicle. Hopefully a new tundra or an older 200 series.

I have about 10-15 years before I retire (shooting for 10, but we shall see). Was thinking of buying a new truck to get me into retirement...but I dunno, might be able to squeak another 5 years out of the old girl, said that 5 years ago too! ;)

Retirement vehicle, I don't know...truck camper or van of sorts. See when I get there...might still have my old beater by then too! :D

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I have about 10-15 years before I retire (shooting for 10, but we shall see). Was thinking of buying a new truck to get me into retirement...but I dunno, might be able to squeak another 5 years out of the old girl, said that 5 years ago too! ;)

Retirement vehicle, I don't know...truck camper or van of sorts. See when I get there...might still have my old beater by then too! :D

What all do you drive?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What is this retirement y'all speak of? I'm right on schedule to have enough to retire when I'm, oh, about 116.

Clutch

<---Pass
What all do you drive?

'99 Tacoma and a '02 Trooper. Paid cash for both...though I practically stole the Trooper. Why it is so hard for me to spend money on a new vehicle. Why spend the money on something...when you already have 2 vehicles that get the job done?

The Tacoma has been in the shop 3 times in the last 6 weeks for a fuel pump, clutch, rear diff has been completely rebuilt....that is when she said...why don't you get a new truck? We both discussed it, went and looked at a couple...and pretty much decided just keep the old one going. Other than the engine and trans, the whole under carriage as been rebuilt over the past 2.5 years.

Though for retirement, thinking I am wanting something bigger, as I plan on living out of it for half the year.

What is this retirement y'all speak of? I'm right on schedule to have enough to retire when I'm, oh, about 116.

Well, that is the loose agenda...shouldn't even call it a plan. ;) If it works out great! If not...that is ok too...kinda semi-retired now. Still have to work, but not full time. There is a reason why I am such a cheap SOB. Trying to get the house paid off in 5-6 years, once we do that...need very little income. We both are fairly frugal, and aren't huge consumers. The dirt bikes are pretty much the only "luxury" I allow myself.

You don't have to be rich...you just have to spend less.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
'99 Tacoma and a '02 Trooper. Paid cash for both...though I practically stole the Trooper. Why it is so hard for me to spend money on a new vehicle. Why spend the money on something...when you already have 2 vehicles that get the job done?

The Tacoma has been in the shop 3 times in the last 6 weeks for a fuel pump, clutch, rear diff has been completely rebuilt....that is when she said...why don't you get a new truck? We both discussed it, went and looked at a couple...and pretty much decided just keep the old one going. Other than the engine and trans, the whole under carriage as been rebuilt over the past 2.5 years.

Though for retirement, thinking I am wanting something bigger, as I plan on living out of it for half the year.

Well, that is the loose agenda...shouldn't even call it a plan. ;) If it works out great! If not...that is ok too...kinda semi-retired now. Still have to work, but not full time. There is a reason why I am such a cheap SOB. Trying to get the house paid off in 5-6 years, once you do that...need very little income.

You don't have to be rich...you just have to spend less.

Yea I have my 60 and an 05 4Runner. My dream truck is a tundra. I've even tossed around the idea of importing a 70. How many miles on the Tacoma?

Clutch

<---Pass
Yea I have my 60 and an 05 4Runner. My dream truck is a tundra. I've even tossed around the idea of importing a 70. How many miles on the Tacoma?

I like the Tundras...couldn't live with that mileage as a daily, a couple of my moto buds have them...can't get any better than 14 out of them, the one said he was getting 11 out of it last trip, yikes!

Have tossed the idea around of importing a 70 as well....then you're getting a 25 year old vehicle, guessing getting parts would be a pain. Seems like a lot of effort, where-as an US 3/4-1 ton would be just fine.

335K on the ol' Taco. Still running like a top...feels nice and tight again, went through the whole suspension and final drive components fairly recently. Frame is rust free, and it has never been wrecked.

Trooper has a 100K on it, unfortunately it does have an auto trans, which was acting up, (have I told you how much I hate auto transmissions!!?? :) ) just had it serviced seemed to cure the hard shifting. Believe the weakest link on the Trooper...is that GM trans. I dunno, be real hesitant buying anything from GM....will be interesting to see how the diesel Colorados fair long term. They look like a ticking time bomb repair wise to me. Auto trans are expensive...all of the diesel components, and the DEF system...not cheap to repair. Might be one of those vehicles you ditch before the warranty is up. Only thing that is alluring is the fuel economy, but that gets blown out of the window pretty quick when parts start to fail out of warranty. I drive 20K miles a year...if I buy a new truck, I am out of warranty in 3 years, as most drive train warranties are 5 years/60K miles. Why I think about out of warranty repairs. So far a SR Tacoma 4 banger/manual trans makes the most sense to own 10-15 years, perhaps longer.

We only put 3000 miles on the Trooper last year, see that thing lasting a while. I wouldn't call it mint condition, but it is in great to excellent condition. Both the Tacoma and the Trooper I can use to tow the dirt bike trailer, I can camp out of both of them...but like the Tacoma better since it has a Wildernest. If the Tacoma is in the shop, I just grab the Trooper.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I like the Tundras...couldn't live with that mileage as a daily, a couple of my moto buds have them...can't get any better than 14 out of them, the one said he was getting 11 out of it last trip, yikes!

Have tossed the idea around of importing a 70 as well....then you're getting a 25 year old vehicle, guessing getting parts would be a pain. Seems like a lot of effort, where-as an US 3/4-1 ton would be just fine.

335K on the ol' Taco. Still running like a top...feels nice and tight again, went through the whole suspension and final drive components fairly recently. Frame is rust free, and it has never been wrecked.

Trooper has a 100K on it, unfortunately it does have an auto trans, which was acting up, (have I told you how much I hate auto transmissions!!?? :) ) just had it serviced seemed to cure the hard shifting. Believe the weakest link on the Trooper...is that GM trans. I dunno, be real hesitant buying anything from GM....will be interesting to see how the diesel Colorados fair long term. They look like a ticking time bomb repair wise to me. Auto trans are expensive...all of the diesel components, and the DEF system...not cheap to repair. Might be one of those vehicles you ditch before the warranty is up. Only thing that is alluring is the fuel economy, but that gets blown out of the window pretty quick when parts start to fail out of warranty. I drive 20K miles a year...if I buy a new truck, I am out of warranty in 3 years, as most drive train warranties are 5 years/60K miles. Why I think about out of warranty repairs. So far a SR Tacoma 4 banger/manual trans makes the most sense to own 10-15 years, perhaps longer.

We only put 3000 miles on the Trooper last year, see that thing lasting a while. I wouldn't call it mint condition, but it is in great to excellent condition.

We've totally detailed this thing . I have 275 on the 60 and 128 on the 4Runner. The new tundras have a huge gas tank now. :). I did find a 200 at carmax for 39000. I wanted that thing so bad. The good thing about Toyota is you can go to the dealer and order parts for the 70. A lot of mechanical parts are interchangeable with a 60. Also there are internet sites you can get parts for them. Check out austousa.com

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You can order non-US parts if they are in the system. Many are because of the mines in Canada and dedicated people here (ahem, Cruiser Dan) getting them in there. But I understand it can still be a PITA. One of the guys in club has a non-U.S. 1KZ in his truck and Toyota called him to ask why he was getting so many parts for something they don't support and how he was doing it.

They apparently didn't know it was possible and I guess weren't happy about it, having non-approved engines floating around could be a problem for them with the government (For Offroad Use Only, sir!). I think importing stuff that was never supported here comes with some risk with your title, DOT & EPA paperwork, parts sources drying up. You have to assume orders from Japan and Australia into the plan.

Customs does track this stuff down sometimes, for example all those sketchy Rovers that got impounded and crushed a couple of years ago. Those had VIN issues but it took a decade in some cases for the knock on the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz