Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Great write up + pics, Mauka. Those were some nice rigs you had.

Very inspirational post...glad to read up on a father's quest to enjoy the outdoors with their wife and children.

I have 3 kids...and the 80 was purchased specifically to enjoy the outdoors with them and my wife. It is not a DD.

I also have a '65 FJ-40. The previous owner shipped it to HW where it lived for 3 years.
In fact, the HW inspection decal is still on the rear bumper.

This is a pic when I first purchased it. Note the Hawaiian theme seat covers.

Any chance you've seen it on the Islands??

IMG00069-20100508-1317.jpg

TwinCruiser, Thanks my friend... Never seen your 40 on Oahu, I'm positive I'd remember though and wow definitely don't miss those yearly safety or recon checks. Had very similar seat covers on the vanagon as well. One of my favorite aspects of owning an 80 is the minimal amount of mods required to create and experience new adventures with the family.

Which Baja Rack is that?

pskhaat, This is the Land Cruiser 80 Series “Utility Rack” (Flat) by Baja Rack. I highly recommend this rack and give 5 out 5 stars for meeting my expectations for why I purchased this rack. Will give full review soon.

:)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Anza Borrego

We had been planning our trip to Anza Borrego for around a week, it was pretty much our maiden voyage for taking the LC off road and camping. While on duty the night before leaving I could barely sleep, just thinking about how much fun was ahead. And... Did we have every thing we would need? Is the LC going to hold up? Am I nuts for bringing my family out to the desert? Will they have fun and enjoy themselves? I reviewed things over and over in my head till I fell asleep. That morning we got the LC packed and headed out not even knowing exactly where we would even set up camp that evening.

IMG_4283.jpg

With traffic through the city and on the freeways and making many bathroom stops it made for a long drive to Borrego Springs.

IMG_4314.jpg

Our first stop was the visitor center for Anza Borrego desert. With better directions to the trail head and an idea of what was ahead we proceeded forward without looking back. While airing down I had a couple thoughts again of what if ..... happens. Yeah, What if.... I Wonder if Anza had any What ifs?

IMG_4334.jpg

Now that was an expedition! Can you imagine?
stay tuned.
:)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Anza Borrego

I knew we had to cross the creek 3 times and the last would have a bit of water.

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

It blew my mind seeing this oasis in the middle of the desert, Man this is awesome!

EnJoY the ViDeO...

We all got a huge kick on the crossing. :snorkel:

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Anza Borrego

Next up were around four portions of rocky and I mean rocky trail. It was as if all the other portions of the trails were fresh paved asphalt compared to the rock gardens. With no sliders I was definitely concerned about rocker panel damage and these rocks all had sharp edges and were ready to slice and puncture your side walls. My plan was to advance smooth and steady with clean lines to minimize bounce and potential damage. Man it would have sucked to suffer a flat on the incline. This is about the extent of rock crawling that I would want to do with my LC, just not into that type of wheeling. Wish I had some pics for this portion of trail, just have a bunch of shaky video filmed from the inside.

EnJoY the ViDeO...

With water crossings and rock gardens behind us it was going to turn dark soon and we needed to find a spot to set up camp. I wanted to be well off the trail and not visible by any potential passer byes. I happened to see some tire tracks leading off trail and it just ended up leading us to exactly what we were looking for.

IMG_4388.jpg

I got camp set up while my wife grilled the chicken and the boys got filthy dirty.

IMG_4392.jpg

The boys loved roasting marsh mellows and hanging with the fire. Once we got them to bed, we loved the peace and quiet.
:camping:
stay tuned...

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Anza Borrego

We awoke that morning with the sun peeling through the 3 sets of sun shades that we used as our curtains. Wow 0630! Thats sleeping in for camping. I will give a review of the air mattress later, but as far as sleeping in the back of the LC its a pain in the ***. Taking the seats out and putting back in wasn't the problem; it was having to unload and repack everything, set up the air mattress and sleeping bag, kids seats, and I think packing every thing back up the next day was the kicker. We both agreed that it was a pain in the ***. I'd rather have more time enjoying camp, than setting it up. Otherwise this option kept us warm, safe, clean, and we were able to sleep in till 0630.

It was my turn on the grill so I made some bacon and eggs, with strawberries and yogurt on the side.

IMG_4411-2.jpg

It started to get hot very quick that morning, so we started packing camp early to get a bright start on our day.

First on the agenda was driving out to Sheep Canyon and doing some exploring by LC.

IMG_4489.jpg

Lots of Fun just driving around and enjoying the scenery.

IMG_4481-1.jpg

Near the end of Sheep Canyon. Getting some shade time.

IMG_4473.jpg

We spent four hours or so driving around and exploring Sheep and Coyote Canyon. Going down the rock gardens was a lot more brutal on the LC than going up, no damage though.

EnJoY the ViDeO...

Back through the water crossing, Thanks for the rinse.

EnJoY the ViDeO...

All my wife asked to do while in Anza Borrego was to hike the Palm Canyon. We just got done driving around for four plus hours out in the desert the last thing I felt like doing was going on a 3+ mile hike in this HEAT. :sunny:

Guess what we did next?

Half a mile into the hike and feeling the heat.

IMG_4561.jpg

Getting more shade time. No Palm oasis insight.

IMG_4569.jpg

Around the bend and all I could think was WOW.

IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

We took a much needed brake next to a waterfall and soaked our feet in the fresh cool desert water.

IMG_4604.jpg

On our hike back to the truck we came upon this boulder balanced on a palm log waiting to be pried up. My oldest wanted to pull down on the log.

IMG_4619.jpg

My wife piggy backed our youngest and I had our 50lb oldest on my shoulders for the last mile out. We were all beat by the sun and exhausted.
We still needed to find a place to set up camp for the night as well.

Welcome to the Hacienda Del Sol Motel...

IMG_4669.jpg

Last thing my wife and the boys thought they'd be doing was going swimming that evening.

IMG_4631.jpg

I could not think of a better way to end our day than pool side in Anza Borrego, completely spur of the moment and well deserved. :)

stay tuned...

Last edited:

TwinCruiser

Observer
Awesome pics.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for "security".
I mean, do you have a firearm on you?

Pardon the "jaded" question but I even "carry" while camping in our local state parks.
Growing up in the Miami, FL area does that to you.
I'm especially cautious when I'm with the wife and kids.

I'll bet that motel stay and pool was most enjoyable.

Keep safe + keep posting pics!!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Awesome pics.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for "security".
I mean, do you have a firearm on you?

Pardon the "jaded" question but I even "carry" while camping in our local state parks.
Growing up in the Miami, FL area does that to you.
I'm especially cautious when I'm with the wife and kids.

I'll bet that motel stay and pool was most enjoyable.

Keep safe + keep posting pics!!

TwinCruiser, Lets just say that we are protected where ever we go and that I have multiple ways of keeping people and animals "chill". Glad your enjoying the story. Thanks man. Stay tuned for the Desert Creatures.:)

TwinCruiser

Observer
Mauka,

Thanks for the reply.
BTW, as I posted earlier in this thread, kudos to you + yours for taking the kids to experience the great outdoors.

Enjoy as much of it as you can now...once they start school, you'll find that your work schedule and the kids' schooling...it becomes much more difficult to plan nice camping outings.

I'm in that stage in life now...kids are 15 + 12.

Did go camping this past Memorial Day weekend to a state park...no wheeling though but a 420 mile round trip.

Note the loaded rack...like yours:

CopyofMyakkaRiverMemorialDay2011068.jpg

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
the long water crossings are always fun. did you get any water coming in the doors?

FSU, This water crossing was a lot of fun. What made this one even more memorable was the feel of driving into an asian jungle while in the desert, completely surreal. The water line was around a quarter way up my door and Thankfully no water made it into the cabin. :snorkel:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Mauka,

Thanks for the reply.
BTW, as I posted earlier in this thread, kudos to you + yours for taking the kids to experience the great outdoors.

Enjoy as much of it as you can now...once they start school, you'll find that your work schedule and the kids' schooling...it becomes much more difficult to plan nice camping outings.

I'm in that stage in life now...kids are 15 + 12.

Did go camping this past Memorial Day weekend to a state park...no wheeling though but a 420 mile round trip.

Note the loaded rack...like yours:

CopyofMyakkaRiverMemorialDay2011068.jpg

TwinCruiser, Nice! A full length rack makes a world of difference in storage capacity. What tires and size do you have? And how do those FJ wheels compare to 80 series wheels weight wise? Thanks :)

fjc8871

Observer
Howzit bully! Just read your thread. Nice build! Makes me miss the Windward side. Family is from Kailua and Kaneohe. See you on the trails braddah!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Howzit! Howzit! Bully, Tell me about missing the windward side, poke, laulau, warm water, all year consistently good surf, and not having to wear wet suits. Shooooots Brah

TwinCruiser

Observer
Hi Mauka,

That rack sure comes in handy...we're a family of five, so lots of gear to carry.
Note the 5 mountain bikes on a "4" bike Thule rack.

Tires are cheapie Mud Claws, 285-70-17...not sure about the weight difference, though.

I bought these from a buddy...they only had 500 miles on them before he lifted and purchased aftermarket rims for his FJ Cruiser.

I still have the original wheels with 33-12.50-15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains.
I feel that with the 17"s, the 80 rides better on the road.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk