Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hi Mauka,

That rack sure comes in handy...we're a family of five, so lots of gear to carry.
Note the 5 mountain bikes on a "4" bike Thule rack.

Tires are cheapie Mud Claws, 285-70-17...not sure about the weight difference, though.

I bought these from a buddy...they only had 500 miles on them before he lifted and purchased aftermarket rims for his FJ Cruiser.

I still have the original wheels with 33-12.50-15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains.
I feel that with the 17"s, the 80 rides better on the road.

Hope that helps.

Cool Deal TwinCruiser. :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Last day at Anza Borrego

Nothing like waking up to the AC humming in the background after a good nights sleep...
Desert driving, hiking, and playing in the pool wore everyone out the day before. A good nights sleep was had by all with AC blowing on high in the motel. We were all rested and ready for one last day exploring Borrego Springs. For anyone that doesn’t like being outdoors because of the bugs... they are found every where, even in our room and on the boys bag. Good find by my wife. :Wow1:

IMG_4679.jpg

This scorpion met a quick and painless death, glad no one was stung.

Our plan was to spend the day finding and taking pics of all the Desert Creatures made by sculptor Ricardo Breceda. One word to describe his work... amazing. With everything packed we headed off on a scavenger hunt looking for the Creatures of the Desert throughout the Galleta Meadows Estates.

IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4728.jpg

IMG_4696.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

Another fun filled day that was worth every penny spent on gas looking for these creatures.

The drive home was uneventful, except for seeing this guy.

IMG_4820.jpg

In just 3 days we made some definite memories that will last our family a lifetime. These memories were made in a relatively stock LC with a family that was on their maiden voyage in search of adventure. When I was airing down the tires of the LC upon entering Coyote Canyon I had a "What IF" moment. I'm thankful my family had the confidence in me and that I had the kahones to take that calculated risk of leading my family into the unknown. Because "What If" we didn't go...
My wife says, lets go to a lake next. Any ideas? :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
saw the name on another post and thought had to check out your build link :)

man I miss the islands Maui boy here my cuz moved off Oahu a while back and sadly lots of friends have as it became to expensive ? one day have to post old photos overlooking the island my dad took back in the 50s pre state ! then I took some from the same point in 1980 amazing to see the dif for sure

anyway aloha brudah

r3run33

Adventurer
thansk so much for your posts!! adding many of your items to our trip list; cant wait to see those sculptures

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
saw the name on another post and thought had to check out your build link :)

man I miss the islands Maui boy here my cuz moved off Oahu a while back and sadly lots of friends have as it became to expensive ? one day have to post old photos overlooking the island my dad took back in the 50s pre state ! then I took some from the same point in 1980 amazing to see the dif for sure

anyway aloha brudah

Howzit Honu, Your not the only one that misses the islands, the food, the surf, and warm water. Here in Cali the prices are comparable , but Hawaii is definitely more expensive. Like your trailer that's what I'm talking about. Are those still being imported into the states? Let's see you pics of the islands you will be amazed by how much development is going on on all the islands. Take care...

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
thansk so much for your posts!! adding many of your items to our trip list; cant wait to see those sculptures

r3run33, You are going to have a blast. The sculptures are spread out throughout Borrego Springs you'll have lots of fun hunting for them all. Bring lots of water. :)

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Lone Rock. Advised to visit on Sunday->Wednesday. Not necessarily remote.

View on Google Maps

Though won't bring you directly to the water (very short jaunts), the Hole In The Rock TRAIL and the Hole In The Rock ROAD are excellent options as well. PM me for some good kids locations on the way to their if you go that way.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Lone Rock. Advised to visit on Sunday->Wednesday. Not necessarily remote.

View on Google Maps

Though won't bring you directly to the water (very short jaunts), the Hole In The Rock TRAIL and the Hole In The Rock ROAD are excellent options as well. PM me for some good kids locations on the way to their if you go that way.

pskhaat, That's pretty much what were looking for. Did some google image searches and were blown away. The only drawback is the estimated 9-12 hour drive from SB. I'll see what the wife and boys think about a drive that long. I have to slowly break them in to the long drives, because That 9-12 can easily turn into 12-16. We'll see what they say.:)

Pskhaat

Yeah, we do some pretty crazy-long drives ourselves and I can't say it is the best on the kids, just drove them 16 hours straight the other day (not good). Lake Mead is at least a midway thing and could keep the theme alive, and might I recommend the following for a good kids break:

View on Google Maps

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Yeah, we do some pretty crazy-long drives ourselves and I can't say it is the best on the kids, just drove them 16 hours straight the other day (not good). Lake Mead is at least a midway thing and could keep the theme alive, and might I recommend the following for a good kids break:

View on Google Maps

How old are your kids and how do you stay sane on the drive? We have to do a stop at least once every two hours to let them run the crazies out. We are going to keep Lake Powell on our to see list and work our way up to the longer drives.
Keep the suggestions coming. Thank you. :)

car-car

Observer
I knew we had to cross the creek 3 times and the last would have a bit of water.

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

It blew my mind seeing this oasis in the middle of the desert, Man this is awesome!

We all got a huge kick on the crossing. :snorkel:

Stay tuned.

That is such a fun trail. My little ones love that third crossing too. There is some fun hiking along the stream at the end of the trail to Sheep's Canyon. We've only done day trips out there, but I've been wanting to camp at Sheep's Canyon for a while now too.....even more so after reading this. Probably once it cools off out there.

Great write up! Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to plan our next adventure too!

Pskhaat

Kids sane on trip? Never.

We try to leave before 4am every day. Used to take naps in our 2200 as an afternoon break. Used to be against DVDs, now use them as/when needed. Fuel breaks are long, lots of picnics, etc. Other than that we try and go long and spend longer at each destination, where NO car time is needed for many days between.

Kids 7, 5 & 3 :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
That is such a fun trail. My little ones love that third crossing too. There is some fun hiking along the stream at the end of the trail to Sheep's Canyon. We've only done day trips out there, but I've been wanting to camp at Sheep's Canyon for a while now too.....even more so after reading this. Probably once it cools off out there.

Great write up! Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to plan our next adventure too!

car-car, Yeah my boys are still talking about the water crossings and how much fun they had out in the desert. We camped mid way from the main trail and entrance to Sheep's canyon, just to ensure our privacy. Were planning again for wild flower season. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk