Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Kids sane on trip? Never.

We try to leave before 4am every day. Used to take naps in our 2200 as an afternoon break. Used to be against DVDs, now use them as/when needed. Fuel breaks are long, lots of picnics, etc. Other than that we try and go long and spend longer at each destination, where NO car time is needed for many days between.

Kids 7, 5 & 3 :)

pskhaat, Nice to see that were not the only ones challenged with wild ones while traveling. I think we'll have to start leaving before 4am as well. Stay sane...:)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Front Mud Flaps

Finally got around to installing my front mud flaps. I'm not a rock crawler so I'm not concerned with them getting ripped off. And if they do, Oh Well. :)

IMG_4943.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

brentbba

Explorer
If you are at all concerned, just nip an inch or two off the bottom of them. I have and the are still functional and IMHO still complete the look of the flares.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Howzit Honu, Your not the only one that misses the islands, the food, the surf, and warm water. Here in Cali the prices are comparable , but Hawaii is definitely more expensive. Like your trailer that's what I'm talking about. Are those still being imported into the states? Let's see you pics of the islands you will be amazed by how much development is going on on all the islands. Take care...

yeah moved off Maui 5 years ago
still get Diamond Bakery creme crackers shipped :) and Aloha Shoyu :)
other stuff try to make my own on the food :)

trailers sadly are not being brought in anymore they just had that original run that was it ?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
If you are at all concerned, just nip an inch or two off the bottom of them. I have and the are still functional and IMHO still complete the look of the flares.

brentbba, Yeah they definitely complete the look with flares and If the flaps do a lot of rubbing on our next outing, then I'll will do a little trimming. :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
yeah moved off Maui 5 years ago
still get Diamond Bakery creme crackers shipped :) and Aloha Shoyu :)
other stuff try to make my own on the food :)

trailers sadly are not being brought in anymore they just had that original run that was it ?

Honu, I really like your trailer its definitely a keeper. Our family brings us island goodie bags when they come and visit. I'll share my bbq terry chicken recipe: 1 cup Aloha shoyu, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and pinch of pepper. Mix well and add to 8-12 boneless skinless chicken thigh in a double bagged gallon zip lock. Marinate for 2-3 days in the fridge and bbq. Serve with two scoop rice, one scoop mac salad, and 3 chicken. Now you have your own L&L bbq chicken plate. Enjoy :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Camp 9 at Lake Isabella

With a couple of nights at Lake Isabella behind us we concluded two things. One, I wish we had bought the Hannibal awning versus the ARB. Second, sleeping in the back of the LC is becoming a bit of a pain and not as practical as we would like.
The ARB awning provides lots of shade and for the price you cant go wrong. My big gripe are the guy lines, they are trip hazards and a royal pain to set up during high winds. We needed 4 lines to keep the awning from turning into a kite. If the Hannibal is able to handle periodic high gusts and sustained winds of 20-30 knots I am sold.

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

Having to remove everything from the LC to make room for our bed is becoming a bit of a chore. The process is simple... its just become a chore.

IMG_6158.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

We are all sold on the idea of a RTT, hopefully by the beginning of next year. I'm thinking an Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 T-Top XKLUSIV.

Camp 9 was a lot of fun for our family and we highly recommend it for its close proximity to SoCal. We had the area to ourselves (weekday) and the water was warm.

IMG_6062-1.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

IMG_6122.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

Good times at Camp 9. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
How do you like the BajaRack? I am considering one. Does it clear your sunroof OK? How does it handle the awning?
I think I would have to remove the windscreen from the sunroof...
Thanks
Matt

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
How do you like the BajaRack? I am considering one. Does it clear your sunroof OK? How does it handle the awning?
I think I would have to remove the windscreen from the sunroof...
Thanks
Matt

Matt, For the price I am very pleased with my BajaRack. With the low profile I can still enter my garage, it has tons of usable space, low wind drag, and is very light weight for its size. The measurements are 51" wide x 91" long x 1.5" tall. The sunroof has clearance and no need to remove the stock rack. My awning is mounted with 3 bajarack awning mounts and is very solid, its not going anywhere. I'm looking to eventually mount a 1800 model eezi-awn and still have ~ 20 inches to spare. For the price and availability I think its win win. My 2 cents. :)

shmabs

Explorer
t-shirt

Way off track here but....

is your wife wearing a us coast guard t shirt? it looks just like my uniform t shirt and i can't quite make out what it says. and i thought i see a parking sticker in the corner.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread....

Salue

Adventurer
That Airbedz air mattress; would it fit if you didn't remove the rear seats or is that the only way it would fit? I like that idea but am not interested in removing the seats.

Salue

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Way off track here but....

is your wife wearing a us coast guard t shirt? it looks just like my uniform t shirt and i can't quite make out what it says. and i thought i see a parking sticker in the corner.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread....

She's got an old school LA air sta shirt on. AND my truck does appear to have uscg sticker. Eyes in the boat shipmate. Back to the regularly scheduled thread.... Semper Paratus :) PM for sea stories

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
That Airbedz air mattress; would it fit if you didn't remove the rear seats or is that the only way it would fit? I like that idea but am not interested in removing the seats.

Salue

If you dont need the second row and can leave the seats out, this config would be ideal. I'm over having to remove the kids and second row seats each time we need to set up the bed. With that said, There is a lot of room in the back of the LC with the 2nd and 3rd rows removed. My biggest complaint is the whole process. Its easy, just time consuming and a pain in the ******** while in the field. If I didn't have kids this option would be a whole lot more viable. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk