Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Yeah we were doing our daily cruz. ChuckB, what a small world...Did you ever eat at Thai Island Taste in Ewa Beach?

Definitely small world!

I'm trying to remeber if I ate there. My wife and I usually went to Siam Garden on Nimitz across from Nico's.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
What is your FRONT distance between bottom of plastic fender to hub center now?

pskhaat, I wish I took measurements of the suspension heights at stock, no lift OME, and pre Iron man coil spacer install. Here is the measurement with OME 850's and 1" Iron Man coil spacers measured from FRONT distance between bottom of plastic fender to hub center. Looks to be ~ 23 1/4". Anyone have #'s for stock and 850's?

IMG_6664.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

I recommend anyone thinking of installing OME 850's to install a spacer at that time rather than later to prevent from having to go through the whole process an additional time. :)

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Definitely small world!

I'm trying to remeber if I ate there. My wife and I usually went to Siam Garden on Nimitz across from Nico's.

Thai Island Taste was in the same shopping complex with Ewa Pointe Liquor store and KFC on fort weaver road. What brought you to the SB for Thai food from SD?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I definitely ate there at least once. That was were Fiestas was too, right?

My ship pulled in for an ammo onload.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I definitely ate there at least once. That was were Fiestas was too, right?

My ship pulled in for an ammo onload.

Yep, thats the spot. Thats our favorite Thai place. The one on main in SB is very good as well. For some people it's hit or miss for both though.

Thank you for your service and stay safe. :)

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Thanks! Maybe when I get back from deployment we can get together for a camping trip somewhere in SoCal?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Thanks! Maybe when I get back from deployment we can get together for a camping trip somewhere in SoCal?

Sounds good. How does San O sound? or do you know of some better spots for camping and surfing within our region? What time frame our you thinking? Maybe the desert will be cooler.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Sounds good. How does San O sound? or do you know of some better spots for camping and surfing within our region? What time frame our you thinking? Maybe the desert will be cooler.

I haven't done any real camping here yet. Last time I was really camping was in Maui.

We have sometime to figure it out, I won't be back until at least next June... Looks like you have found some great places already.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
New Tires

I have word that my new tires are in :wings:. Who knew that buying tires would be such a thought provoking process. As much as I wanted to go big, I just could not justify the reasoning for my particular application at present time. I will have pics posted tomorrow. :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Toyo MT 285's

Just got my tires installed and could not be happier with the outcome. Paid $228.32 per tire at Allen Tire Co. in HB:sombrero:... referenced TireCrawler.com for the price.

IMG_6696.jpg

Nitto 295's vs Toyo 285's
IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6695.jpg

Toyo Open Country MT
LT285/75R-16
Black Sidewall
Load Range = E
Max Load = 3740 lbs.
Tread Depth = 19/32
Overall Diameter = 33.0

The only things that I can really comment on about these tires for now... is that they are very damn good looking tires on an 80 and have just the right amount of hum while on the pavement. :)

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
loving the rig :)

curious what your height is to the top of the rack ? we have a short garage and we are wanting to pick up a LC and do a similar build style with flat rack not huge tires etc..

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
that looks great, good job!!!

Very nice!

loving the rig :)

curious what your height is to the top of the rack ? we have a short garage and we are wanting to pick up a LC and do a similar build style with flat rack not huge tires etc..

I'm really enjoying this thread. Love the 80 too. Thanks for taking the time to post everything.

Thank you Guys... I'm hoping to get some more free time from the wife on the ending of Sunday and all day Monday to begin the bumper, snorkel, and finish the rest of my PM installations. That accident really threw a curve into my leave time. We were planing a Laurel Lakes trip and being down to just the LC, I didn't want to start anything and not be able to finish or have something unexpected come up during maintenance and mods. Every things has been delayed a bit.

Honu, I will get back to you on the height of my LC from ground to highest point and height of my garage for a better referance.

Some of you may wondering what we replaced the Prius with after the accident?

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner TRD 164K miles and all stock. :ylsmoke: We just couldn't see buying new again. We will keep it stock and enjoy it as is. The boys fit in the back... one booster and one baby seat. They call it the firefighter seating. :)

IMG_6671.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

Thanks for enjoying the read.:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal