Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

IMG_6728.jpg
The only vehicle that I like in white... Man that looks good! Subscribed to this thread to see the evolution of your 80.

Blackwater

Im getting old! :(
Mauka,

This thread has been great. I have probably gone all the way through it three or four times. Your 80 is right along the same lines as my build for my 100. I will keep looking forward to the continued updates!!

Any new snorkel pics?? :snorkel:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Honu, Here are a couple measurements: My garage floor to facial is 85" and highest point of the LC is around 83.5". Granted for me to park in the garage everything needs to be removed from the roof rack except the awning. Let me know if you need any other measurements.

The only vehicle that I like in white... Man that looks good! Subscribed to this thread to see the evolution of your 80.

Mauka,

This thread has been great. I have probably gone all the way through it three or four times. Your 80 is right along the same lines as my build for my 100. I will keep looking forward to the continued updates!!

Any new snorkel pics?? :snorkel:

Thanks Guys... right now were kind of on the build/mod and pm side of things, rather than having new family adventures out on the trail making new memories side of things. School-Work-School type schedules. Please stay tuned either way.

This morning had my coffee :coffeedrink: and proceeded to begin the snorkel install. While reading the install instructions and inventorying the parts, I decided that the plastic inserts for the pillar are not the best route for the LC. I will be looking into rivnuts for pillar bracket mounting. I'll try again next week.

Rather than closing up shop, I embarked on my modified OEM blue fan clutch (from AJIK/Landtank) install along with three new OEM belts. The whole process from start to finish took around 4 hours and was a pain in the but...probably just me. Looking forward to tomorrows commute to see if I achieve any noticeable temperature decrease. As per AJIK's web site: Modified OEM Fan Clutchtemperature tuned at 95* per Toyota specifications using 15,000cst oil. All around performance upgrade for cooler engine and AC temperatures.

IMG_6731.jpg

Still have my thermostat, phh, numerous other coolant hoses, and coolant flush to complete for cooling system. Might replace radiator as well, we'll see. Stay tuned. :)

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
thats perfect :)

bummer to tall for my garage :) time to get a new house when I get a LC :) hehehehe

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Safari Snorkel Install

Its been a little over a month that I've had the snorkel in the garage waiting to be installed. Had a free day, along with all the parts and tools needed this time. After reading a couple installation threads, I had my morning coffee :coffeedrink: and went to work with complete confidence that I could do this, despite not having the longest arms.

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6741.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6761.jpg

IMG_6757.jpg

The whole process was very straight forward as per Safari Snorkel installation instructions, did a couple things different though. The use of rivnuts on the pillar are an excellent option over the plastic inserts that are provided, can't imagine using anything else. The Snorkel is now mounted way to solid! Silicone sealant was liberaly used at the base of the studs, rivnuts, and the contacting surface of all washers at the pillar and fender. No need to completely remove antenna to have access to furthest attachment points, just undo bottom screw for antenna and just enough room is available to attach the nuts with your finger tips. 1/4" mini socket wrench was used for tightening all nuts in the fender. Ultimately lots of patience is needed more so than long arms. :)

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Our LC Present Day

We've owned the LC for a little over a year now and have come to a milestone in LC ownership... we've completed our first phase of modification:wings:. Also just a couple of PM areas to be addressed and were done for first phase of PM as well:victory:. We could not be happier with how our LC has progressed from that first day of ownership driving it home from Auburn and to where the LC stands today.Its more than surpassed meeting our families vehicle needs and we have only been given a glimpse into this vehicles full potential.

With phase two we will be looking into a RTT, interior storage, dual batteries, fridge, communications, and maybe rocker panel protection. PM will most likely be front and rear axles if everything continues to perform as planned. I'm sure there comes a point where the modifications will all be exhausted and only PM is required, but until then were left with a constant fascination of... what shall we save for to mod next. :)

Our LC Present Day

IMG_6816.jpg

IMG_6767.jpg

IMG_6775.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
reaffirming myself that I made a correct decision in going with 285's rather than 315's. :)

I spent a long time looking for a steal of a deal on 315s. After I found one, (4 Procomps with 80% for $500), I ran them for +/- three months. No problems, but I decided to look for something else as the Xterrains are a bit noisy. I traded straight for 5 BFG KM2 305-75r16s in better shape. There IS a bit better power with the 33s over the 35s, and I have decided if I can't get "there" with my rig as it sits now, ( a clone of yours minus 1" spacers), I probably don't need to go!

PS, as for surfing/camping spots, we just spent a week in Ventura area at Hobson state beach. You can surf right out front and if you like crowds, Rincon Point is about 5 mins up the 101:). We stay on the "Rincon Parkway" which is right beside Hobson so we can get the dogs on the longer beach easily, but with a tent you want to be in Hobson or Faria beach which is at the south end of the parkway.

FireGuy

Adventurer
Do the instructions talk about how to do the ruvnuts or is that something you found on the internet? I'd like to do the same thing as I'm about to install my snorkel.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
instead of a RTT why not get a trailer?

We would love to get a trailer if our finances allowed for one. Might have to go with a used RTT as well to help reduce cost.

I spent a long time looking for a steal of a deal on 315s. After I found one, (4 Procomps with 80% for $500), I ran them for +/- three months. No problems, but I decided to look for something else as the Xterrains are a bit noisy. I traded straight for 5 BFG KM2 305-75r16s in better shape. There IS a bit better power with the 33s over the 35s, and I have decided if I can't get "there" with my rig as it sits now, ( a clone of yours minus 1" spacers), I probably don't need to go!

PS, as for surfing/camping spots, we just spent a week in Ventura area at Hobson state beach. You can surf right out front and if you like crowds, Rincon Point is about 5 mins up the 101:). We stay on the "Rincon Parkway" which is right beside Hobson so we can get the dogs on the longer beach easily, but with a tent you want to be in Hobson or Faria beach which is at the south end of the parkway.

I feel the same way... with my Toyo 285's and when paired with our stock gear ratio our power band remains virtually unchanged. And like you said, if I can't get "there" with my rig as it sits now, I probably don't need to go! Our LC's are very capable as is, it's not like I'm building a rock crawler.
Thank you for the heads up on spots near Rincon. A must while we are in Cali.

D

Deleted member 9101

Love the LC man, love the fact that you keep it really clean!!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Do the instructions talk about how to do the ruvnuts or is that something you found on the internet? I'd like to do the same thing as I'm about to install my snorkel.

The instructions for the Safari Snorkel :snorkel: do not mention the use of rivnuts. I referenced this thread for guidance: http://george4wd.taskled.com/snorkel.html . Big thanks to who evers post that is. Luckily I was able to borrow the tool from work along with three rivnuts. The only problem I had was finding 10x32x1/2" allen head screws for the rivnuts. The use of the rivnut tool can be explained on one of the many youtube vids, just search rivnut tool. In the end you will be a lot happier knowing your snorkel is installed with rivnuts rather than plastic inserts. Patience will be your greatest tool. Good luck. :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Love the LC man, love the fact that you keep it really clean!!

Thank you. Not afraid to gitter durty, just wish we had more trail and camping time than work and school time. We have to wait for the breaks now. In the mean time we'll keep the LC clean. :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Cooling System PM

Cooling temps are down from 200 to 186. I had Top Line Performance install all new OEM parts to include a 94 brass 3 row radiator, water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses using breeze constant torque clamps, flushed and serviced with Toyota red. Thanks Mario very happy with your quality of work, service, most of all your awsome prices. No more cooling system worries, except for the PHH which is still in great shape and I'll tackle that on my own in a couple of weeks. :)

MCObray

Explorer
This build definitely took up all of the studying time I had planned for my Biology Exam tomorrow. Your LC is tastefully modified and this Land Cruiser really has opened my eyes to a future vehicle that would fit all my needs (Currently a Jeep XJ owner). I almost find myself now spending more time in the Land Cruiser/ Land Rover forum on ExPo. Keep the updates coming :elkgrin:!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal