Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
ARB Bumper Install

Got some free time to install the ARB winch bumper this afternoon. I won't get detailed with the installation... cause it was so dang simple but, I will say that this bumper is way lighter and easier to install than I had imagined. My Shrockworks on the Xterra was a beast compared to this. Glad the ARB is no where near as heavy.
Front bumper removal took around 5 minutes. Then I cleaned and painted the frame ends.

IMG_6698.jpg

I was getting ready to use two ratchet straps, floor jack and the HiLift to raise it up onto the frame mounts, when I decided to try and curl it to see how heavy it was. Either I am very strong or this thing is very light, I'm going with this being pretty light for its size. So I lifted it right onto the frame supports and used one ratchet strap attached to the rafters for support. 12 bolts total and I was done. Decided to leave the recovery points off, No need to further reduce the ground clearance.

IMG_6701.jpg

Currently I don't have plans to install a winch, I guess thats part of the reason I bought a 60" HiLift. Installed the License plate bracket and Hella lights that I previously had from a couple years back, still need to do the wiring of the lights then I should be done with the front.

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6714.jpg

My tape measure turned into a birds nest so I'll see if I cant untangle it tomorrow and measure how minimal of lift lost and take some pics out of the garage. I can tell that it did bring the suspension down just a bit but, not much. The rake looks perfect now. Yeah and I'll be keeping those Hella covers off. Stay tuned for Snorkel :snorkel: and PM. :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
PCV change... nightmare diverted

One of the items on my to do list was to change out the PCV, grommet, and hose. The hose was brittle and rock hard and so was the grommet for the PCV. After reading stories of the grommet chunking off and breaking into pieces all while falling into your engine I prepared myself for the worse. I used a vice grip and flathead to lever the PCV up and out. The PCV came out with no issue and the grommet was still intact. My plan was to make a length slit and roll it inward on itself while pulling it out. The outer lip crumbled off and the inner portion dropped on in. For a few tense moments with my mind going crazy, I wondered now ****** do I do? Grabbed my flash light and looked in to see the grommet resting around an inch from the opening. Using my small needle nose pliers I was able to reach the grommet and follow through with my original plan and pull it out. Gave a thorough inspec and had all the pieces. Putting the new components on went way to easy. My lesson learned here is to change out the rubber grommet before it turns to a rock hard pound cake. :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Glad to hear the bumper is relatively light, since I'll be installing one myself soon. But my winch is going to add just a little weight!

Driver-Navigator the install was very straight forward. Good Luck and take a measurement if you don't mind of the before and after bumper with winch install, curious to see how much lift is lost. Thank you

Laxaholic

Adventurer
is this 80 your dd?
it looks great!!
I have a 100 now, but love the looks of the 80 much better.
is there any real difference between the 80 and 100s fuel mileage? i know they both such, but about the same?

Driver-Navigator the install was very straight forward. Good Luck and take a measurement if you don't mind of the before and after bumper with winch install, curious to see how much lift is lost. Thank you

Sure, will do. The bumper arrived today in a *massive* (and pallet-ed) box. The After photo and measurement will be delayed some though. I had initially planned to use the old Warn x8000i off of my Jeep but I think I will opt for a VR12000 instead, given the weight of the 80.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hella Lighting Install

The Hella 4000's I have look great and will do for now, I would eventually like to install a light that provide's more of a white and clear illumination when rather than the typical light. I installed these previously on my Xterra and found the install to be very straight forward and easy. For some reason this time it kicked my but, and for the life of me I could not remember where to put the other wire coming off the switch.
This diagram set me straight and now I have light... lots of light.

RELAYDIAGRAM.jpg

I would like to thank whoever posted this on Mud. If only I saw this earlier, it would have saved me a night of troubleshooting wires in the dark.:)

Also, where are most people connecting the ARB bumper marker lights to?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
is this 80 your dd?
it looks great!!
I have a 100 now, but love the looks of the 80 much better.
is there any real difference between the 80 and 100s fuel mileage? i know they both such, but about the same?

Laxaholic, Our 80 is a dd between me and my wife. Whether I'm inching along for a 30 mile one way commute on the 405 or she's hauling the kids to the park etc. its being driven every day. Thank you. As per www.fueleconomy.gov a 97 80 gets 12-14 and a 99 100 gets 12-15 so the difference is minimal in fuel consumption and for the most part about the same. Real world mpg #'s will vary greatly dependent on particular vehicle build, drivers habits, and environment. I'm looking at 12-15 combined mpg with current build as per my SG2. My Xterra averaged 14, Vanagon 18, 89 4Runner 18, and wifes old 2008 Honda Passport 17 mpg. I will gladly accept 12-15 mpg to drive a LC. :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
IRONMAN Front and Rear Pan Hard Rods

With the installation of the new tires and coil spacers I noticed that my front and rear axles were off centered and had shifted to the right ~ .75 - 1". Barely noticeable while driving or with the untrained eye. MetalTech had a discount for IRONMAN Front and Rear Pan Hard Rods, so I acted quick. Received them the following week and had them installed the day of delivery at Top Line Performance in HB. I try to do most of the work for the LC myself but, decided to leave it to the professionals for the pan hard install, plus an alignment was due. The LC now looks and feels centered in addition to tracking straight.

Very happy with the quality of the IRONMAN Front and Rear Pan Hard Rods, these things look and feel bend proof. One word...STOUT.

IMG_6716-1.jpg

IMG_6717-1.jpg

I'm not a fan of the driveway pics but, these will have to do for now.

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6718.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6724.jpg

Were looking forward to getting back out on the trail...hopefully sooner than later.
Dang work and school schedules! Next up will be the Safari Snorkel install. :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
looking good ;) would still love to know the height ;) heheheh
I think our garage is going to be a touch to short for my plans ?????

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Lookin' Good!

looking good ;) would still love to know the height ;) heheheh
I think our garage is going to be a touch to short for my plans ?????

Thanks Guys... Honu I haven't forgot about the measurements. My tape measure is still in a mangled birds nest of a mess. On the last picture you can see that the right side of the garage has some white trim on it. That trim used to be on the upper portion as well, Learned the hard way. I can pull into the garage forward but, not reverse. If I really need to there is another 1'' wood trim piece on the facial that I could remove If absolutely necessary. Probably would had to of removed if I had gone with 315's. I will have measurements up by Wednesday.

On a side note I will be relocating my license plate to the Baja Rack from its current location on the ARB bumper. I am experiencing a 10-20 degree increase at highway speeds in coolant temperature do to the lights and license plate acting as an air deflector and not allowing for a ram air effect.
After four 30 mile one way commutes on the 405 with stop and go breaking, rapid accelerations, and 70 mph cruising speeds. I've averaged 12-14 mpg with current set up reaffirming myself that I made a correct decision in going with 285's rather than 315's. :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
OK no worries by next year is OK :) heheheh still got to sell my trailer to finance getting one ;)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
OK no worries by next year is OK :) heheheh still got to sell my trailer to finance getting one ;)

NOOOO! Don't sell your trailer! Just imagine pulling it behind your soon to be 80. Sell the FJ instead. I'll have those measurements to you in a few.

Dude, you're killing me, that thing looks amazing!! makes me want to sell my D2!!!

NOOOO! I don't want to kill you! Thank You! Sell your D2 and come on over to the 80 side you wont regret it! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal