Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
This build definitely took up all of the studying time I had planned for my Biology Exam tomorrow. Your LC is tastefully modified and this Land Cruiser really has opened my eyes to a future vehicle that would fit all my needs (Currently a Jeep XJ owner). I almost find myself now spending more time in the Land Cruiser/ Land Rover forum on ExPo. Keep the updates coming :elkgrin:!

MCObray did you pass your Biology Exam? Thank you, I will continue to do my best to distract you during your studies with my updates.

Stay tuned for a completely unexpected, just happened to be right timing purchase, I am in complete stokeness (if thats a word), addition to the LC phase 2 update. :Wow1:
RTT...Whaaaaat!:sombrero:

yohavos

stoke•ness |stōknis|
adjective [ trans. ]
• a feeling of encouragement or excitement as a direct reaction to acquiring a roof top tent for a Land Cruiser.

Hmmm... checks out in my book. Pics and info?? :sombrero:

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
Thanks Guys... Honu I haven't forgot about the measurements. My tape measure is still in a mangled birds nest of a mess. On the last picture you can see that the right side of the garage has some white trim on it. That trim used to be on the upper portion as well, Learned the hard way. I can pull into the garage forward but, not reverse. If I really need to there is another 1'' wood trim piece on the facial that I could remove If absolutely necessary. Probably would had to of removed if I had gone with 315's. I will have measurements up by Wednesday.

On a side note I will be relocating my license plate to the Baja Rack from its current location on the ARB bumper. I am experiencing a 10-20 degree increase at highway speeds in coolant temperature do to the lights and license plate acting as an air deflector and not allowing for a ram air effect.
After four 30 mile one way commutes on the 405 with stop and go breaking, rapid accelerations, and 70 mph cruising speeds. I've averaged 12-14 mpg with current set up reaffirming myself that I made a correct decision in going with 285's rather than 315's. :)

I get a HARD 10 MPG with my setup, and I have far less drag than you, I would be SOO Stoked to see 12-15 MPG. Its probably the stupid chrome wheels affecting my mileage.

5827995151_7bdf128e8f_b.jpg

we are usually loaded down too, and I guess I can't complain TOO much because it gets 10MPG like this, or completely slick. So for planning purposes its a simple number.

Nice truck man, in some ways were following parallel paths with them, though an RTT is not in our future, I have four spawn and my spouse isn't as adventurous as yours, (Though she is willing to rough it, she's a good sport to be sure).

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Eezi-Awn Series 3 1600 T-Top

Talk about being in the right place at the right time. We originally had our minds set for the Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 XKLUSIV model but, could not justify the cost. We were then leaning towards a CVT Rainier size RTT and sure enough what popped up used and for sale... A Eezi-Awn Series 3 1600 T-Top in near new condition for $1800 just down the way from where we live. Expo member Wesel123 was a very standout dude and took the time to set up the RTT and let my family climb on in and test it out. With all four of us laying in the tent, the 1600 series had the perfect amount of room we were looking for. We knew that an opportunity as this would be few and far between and decided later that night after dinner that sleeping in the back of the LC would be a memory of the past.

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6953.jpg

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_6935.jpg

IMG_6938.jpg

IMG_6945.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

Specifications -

-Dimensions (closed) 48"L x 63"W x 11"H

-Dimensions (open) 96"L x 63"W x 51"H

-Dimensions (clearance) Add 2-3" to closed length and width for fabric and cover

-Dimensions (room) 63"W x 78"L

-Dimensions (room height) 78" high wall panels

-Mattress 2-1/2" fabric covered foam

-Comparable width Queen size bed

-Color - Beige

-Weight 198 lbs, including ladder and detachable wall panels

Construction -

-Heavy duty wax impregnated 420gsm Polyco canvas

-50/50 polyester cotton rip-stop weave and died colorfast

-Double stitched throughout, with wax coated cotton thread

-Heavy duty anodized aluminum extrusions and stainless steel hardware

-Polyurethane encased hardwood panels

-Heavy duty stainless steel hinges

-Spring steel rain-fly and window rods

-Patented anodized aluminum extension ladder

-YYK zippers and nylon reinforced clips

-Heavy duty 80% mesh screen with trapezoidal micro fiber

-Elevated PVC rain-fly with reinforced rain-fly mounts

-Full time tent peak ventilation

-700 denier PVC roof tent cover with welded seams and a 5 year UV rating

T-Top Specific Construction -

-Anodized Aluminum "U" shaped roofline extension frame

-Polyco canvas Roofline extension and room walls

-Heavy duty open weave plastic ground cover

Features -

-4 large doors & windows, with mesh and privacy panels

-2 large window shades

-4 pockets under windows

-2-1/2" thick hi-density foam mattress, covered in African print fabric

-Embroidered, fitted cotton sheet

-Unique internal bungee system to assist with storing tent

-Ratchet strap incorporated into cover

-Universal mounting construction

-Optional ladder extension

-Optional Bull Bar mounts

T-Top Specific Features -

-In-tent vehicle access

-Ground level sleeping room for two

-Integrated door and window

-Storage bag for walls and ground cover

I think this size RTT will be a perfect compromise in closed size, weight, and sleeping space for our family at current time. Looks like we might have to wait till December though, to test it out as a family. I'm planning on a solo adventure shortly so will be able to at least get a feel beforehand. During the set up I'm was just amazed in the quality and workmanship throughout. Very Very Nice :).

On a side note: I currently have it mounted with 6 AT tent mounting assemblies... 3 per parallel of vehicle mounting extrusion, is this sufficient? Anyone know the weight allowance for the side the ladder is on? It does feel kinda freaky when siting on this side, even though I know the ladder doesn't support the whole weight. Thank you

Last edited:

MCObray

Explorer
That is one wicked set-up you have now! Looks great and i'm sure your going to be putting that RTT to it's proper use.

mph

Expedition Leader
Looks great...I would love to hear how your family of 4 likes it...I have thought of the RTT route but can't visualize 3 us sleeping on a queen size bed. Am I missing something?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Looks great brother....Enjoy!!!!!!

Thanks my friend...One week and counting.

Love the pics! I have been going back and forth as well and I have been looking at the CVT Mt Shasta rtt.

That is one wicked set-up you have now! Looks great and i'm sure your going to be putting that RTT to it's proper use.

Great pics as always, thanks for posting!

Thanks guys... I will be putting the LC and RTT through a bit of trail time very shortly, Its all I can think about.

Could you post pics of how it is mounted? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Here's a link to AT's web site, scroll to the bottom and you should be able to get a good idea.
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/rooftentaccessories.html

Looks great...I would love to hear how your family of 4 likes it...I have thought of the RTT route but can't visualize 3 us sleeping on a queen size bed. Am I missing something?

Seeing how we haven't yet slept in our RTT as a family... Sorry, can't comment on whether your missing something yet. :)

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Really enjoying your thread! Very much in the ExPo spirit and well presented.

That is a fearsome looking gate keeper you have posted at the ladder!
:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal