Mercedes 230GE SWB For Sale

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
HTS_0069.JPG

This is my truck that I've fixed up over the past few months and is ready to be driven daily or taken on some long trips. I really like this 230GE in comparison to the other 3 diesel G Wagens I've owned in that it gets the same gas mileage as the 300GD SWB (at around 20-21MPG), but feels more powerful and also has a higher cruising speed (75-80mph with the 4 speed auto without feeling as if you are really winding her out). It's also pretty darn quiet on the highway. It also has air conditioning and power windows, a few features many often ask for in 460's. It's a very civil driver, but with the included 16" steel wheels one could easily enjoy this G Wagen on the back roads.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2200047536.html

If you have any questions you can post them here or call me. Please keep all comments civil. :camping:

As per the forum rules - No disparaging remarks or chat over the asking price

Thank you

Hunter from Baltimore
410 262 4931

Last edited:

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Interesting... what is the mileage and do you have service records?

mike@autohomeus.com

email sent.

27,000 km show on the odometer, but recently the odometer has been intermittent. I would say it's flipped over only once (127,000km) so it has about 78,000 miles - the body, chassis, interior and engine all look young and agree with the low mileage figure.

I have some of the service records, but could have more. I've priced it a little bit lower because I don't have all of the records from the previous owner (it's a shame because everything in the engine bay appears to have been recently serviced or replaced, parts appear new, no oil stains or discoloring on most parts). The interior and exterior are in good condition as well (interior is about an 8/10 due to a little rip in the driver seat and exterior is an 8/10, paint is new but there is some bubbling going on).

Hunter

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
With the original wheels back on there and some 33's, it would look great.

Agreed, I've got 16" steel wheels that are included in the sale that I had intentions of putting 235/85/16 BFG AT's on (and still can for the new owner).

The 18" alloys are the same weight as the steelies, believe it or not. They are currently about 33" tires, but are a little wider. I bet a 1 mpg (at least) increase when going to the narrower 235/85's. The current tires are so wide.

You should put detailed pics on flicker showing the rust areas as this would be a big possible deal breaker for someone who knows the pitfalls of rust and a Gwagen.

Here are some pictures of the G and the rust.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TFDKXeq_SoI/AAAAAAAAHDg/3ONWpeVodj4/s720/HTS_0040.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TFDKa0SQvPI/AAAAAAAAHDs/JDJ6lVdsVDc/HTS_0042.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TRq4Qb6mbBI/AAAAAAAAHss/J0Ba0GzdqZ4/IMG_0277.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TRq4M_iHnEI/AAAAAAAAHsg/AUcFy19T9vE/IMG_0271.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TRq4N-iXrYI/AAAAAAAAHsk/F145rnB1I5w/IMG_0273.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TRq4SNP-FzI/AAAAAAAAHsw/JwxR6AChXyc/s912/IMG_0279.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TRq4T2VfQ7I/AAAAAAAAHs0/TNPsaiXAsT0/s912/IMG_0281.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TRq4UmCZwjI/AAAAAAAAHs4/dDCx48PWBOM/s912/IMG_0283.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_sisCOSW2nN8/TRq4WMVu36I/AAAAAAAAHs8/LUzv7__MqG4/s912/IMG_0285.jpg

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
All G Wagens in the 8-16,000 range will have rust, this one so happens to have only a little bit. If you want a rust free G then you'll pay at least $17,000. I've had four of them and have also facilitated sales of a few 460 G Wagens.
They will need to be cut out if the next owner wants to take on the rust, I agree. That would include the rear tail light surrounds and inner support brackets.

It's not a difficult job for a body guy, especially for someone who has done it before. If the new owner wants to have the rust taken care of I can have a professional who has done this rust restoration on a number of 460 G Wagens (Jay Givens, http://www.givenscollision.com/) do the work at a very competitive price.

About the photos - I can have my mechanic take photos for those who are seriously interested. I'm about a 12 hours drive from the G Wagen so I cannot take them myself.

To anyone that is seriously interested I'm happy to put in a request to have some more photos taken.

Last edited:

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Mr. 303,

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. I will 'take it up with you' that you do not incite quarrels with other members in my thread and please keep your comments regarding price and your thoughts on G Wagen rust out of this thread. There is a G Wagen thread for posting your thoughts on where the rust comes from in 460 G Wagens.

Back to the subject at hand - to all those who are interested in my G Wagen: as mentioned It does have a little rust. I've showed you what I see in the photos above, but can have more taken for those interested.

Please be respectful,

Hunter

JohnsFJ

im new here but have been lurking for a long time. Have been on Pirate for years however.

Sorry but i have to agree with 303, these things get rusted and its costs $1000's to fix the right way. A lot of people may not know this so I think it is good to point out. I owned a Gwagen 280 with the same problem and lost my butt on it because I didnt know better. I also know which red Gwagen he is talking about and it is true, you can check out the pics that are posted somewhere -but i cant rembr where.

I think banning someone is a pretty childish thing to do because they are being blunt. He might not like to be soft about it, but that is just him.

I have a feeling he doesn't care one bit. I actually know him and he truly does know his **** and if you guys werent so quick to react you might have learned something!

Now will I get banned too because Im not part of the majority or in the club?! I hope free speech will prevail! LOL
:victory:

Scott Brady

Founder
Nothing wrong with being blunt, but he broke every rule of the forum in a matter of a few posts. He was not just specific about the truck, he was attacking every person in the thread.

Respect is a simple thing. Give it and you get it.

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
im new here but have been lurking for a long time. Have been on Pirate for years however.

Sorry but i have to agree with 303, these things get rusted and its costs $1000's to fix the right way. A lot of people may not know this so I think it is good to point out. I owned a Gwagen 280 with the same problem and lost my butt on it because I didnt know better. I also know which red Gwagen he is talking about and it is true, you can check out the pics that are posted somewhere -but i cant rembr where.

I think banning someone is a pretty childish thing to do because they are being blunt. He might not like to be soft about it, but that is just him.

I have a feeling he doesn't care one bit. I actually know him and he truly does know his **** and if you guys werent so quick to react you might have learned something!

Now will I get banned too because Im not part of the majority or in the club?! I hope free speech will prevail! LOL
:victory:

No, dude I agree with what you are saying here. His information is important. Everyone should know 460 G Wagens are very prone to rust just because of their design. Salt and dirt gets into spots that cause the rust to sprout. He got banned because he did not know how to conduct himself on a public forum. You do not publicly insult the founder of Expedition Portal repeatedly.

He does know a lot, but this is not a 'who has the biggest ____ contest and who knows more than the other'. If you know a lot about the rust, and more than I do, then you can share, but do it tastefully. PM's work, or start your own thread on G Wagen rust somewhere else. Part of being a civilized member of this community is knowing how to be amicable to one another.

As some might know I challenged the price of a vehicle I once owned and my comments were removed. I publicly apologized for my comments and allowed the new owner to sell the vehicle without my two cents.

As for the aforementioned red G, I did try my hand at removing a few bits of rust. I was also 18 and was not a body man. Lesson learned. I haven't touched the body (and have no intention to) because I don't have the time to try to do it myself or skill (as I've learned) or money to pay a pro to do it. Honestly, the rust just is not really that bad (I've had a few rusty G Wagens in my day, too so I know how to compare)

I also think that the new owner should enjoy the G as the body sits currently for a few years before doing any rust restoration (if even desired at all, the body looks great).

Ala5ka

VX'er
I love this forum and all of the guys involved have such a great character, wish I could go on some runs with the group someday :)

JohnsFJ

Sorry but again i agree with him. there is no need to be so overly soft and act like you are talking to some dictator all the time about everything. He pointed out the problems and people here didnt deal with it too well. Is this just a gwagen owner thing or what? LOL Try talking on some land cruiser forums, you have to be a little tougher than this. So what if someone doesnt lick your boots? Ignore it if you cant stand the heat. Hiding or erasing it wont change a thing and looks a little ridiculous. If somebody licks mine like that, I dont respect them and same goes for talking on forums.

All this also makes me think twice about helping anyone on the net and I have restored a bunch of 4x4 stuff. Look at what was erased too, they kept a negative comment from the expwest guy so that means there is bias here. Why is this?

i dont agree with that rust comment either, in fact I think its pretty dangerous advice! you cant just not deal with it for a few years. Thats enough time to loose a back door or worse. If someone buys one it needs to be fixed that week or it wont ever get done. If it does somehow one day, it will be twice as expensive. The metal in the older G's has more iron than normal and when it goes, it goes. its just like FJ40's, people let it sit and then the frame in the back goes and it just keeps going, faster and faster.

I think if someone is that confident about their price and truck, they should fix it themselves first and then sell it, otherwise it looks like they were just trying to make a quick buck off the original seller and thats fine if you want that kind of reputation. I personally havent done that but then again, i have lost some money a couple times too. It all comes around though.

And to that expwest guy, I briefly met Vince in Moab years ago after he had been living in his truck for a month in remote SW Utah. I wouldnt exactly say rookie. I think maybe the rookies are all here posting nonsense! like me! lol :ylsmoke:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Sorry but again i agree with him. there is no need to be so overly soft and act like you are talking to some dictator all the time about everything. He pointed out the problems and people here didnt deal with it too well. Is this just a gwagen owner thing or what? LOL Try talking on some land cruiser forums, you have to be a little tougher than this. So what if someone doesnt lick your boots? Ignore it if you cant stand the heat. Hiding or erasing it wont change a thing and looks a little ridiculous. If somebody licks mine like that, I dont respect them and same goes for talking on forums.

All this also makes me think twice about helping anyone on the net and I have restored a bunch of 4x4 stuff. Look at what was erased too, they kept a negative comment from the expwest guy so that means there is bias here. Why is this?

i dont agree with that rust comment either, in fact I think its pretty dangerous advice! you cant just not deal with it for a few years. Thats enough time to loose a back door or worse. If someone buys one it needs to be fixed that week or it wont ever get done. If it does somehow one day, it will be twice as expensive. The metal in the older G's has more iron than normal and when it goes, it goes. its just like FJ40's, people let it sit and then the frame in the back goes and it just keeps going, faster and faster.

I think if someone is that confident about their price and truck, they should fix it themselves first and then sell it, otherwise it looks like they were just trying to make a quick buck off the original seller and thats fine if you want that kind of reputation. I personally havent done that but then again, i have lost some money a couple times too. It all comes around though.

And to that expwest guy, I briefly met Vince in Moab years ago after he had been living in his truck for a month in remote SW Utah. I wouldnt exactly say rookie. I think maybe the rookies are all here posting nonsense! like me! lol :ylsmoke:

I love the internets. I think I have a picture of you...

Oh, here it is!
troll.jpg

Gelandeman

Hello, I'm new to Ex Po here and new to the G-Wagen world, thus making me new to life I guess. Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and give my two cents. I spoke to the seller of this car in depth last night and he seems like a very up-front and honest guy. In my estimation, the truck is in good condition at a good price. I wish I had the money. Besides, I'd rather buy a vehicle from somebody who points out all of its flaws than somebody that tries to hide them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven