MG Metalworks Van Build

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
The wife said... "WOW!!! The van looks AWESOME!!! Where are my running boards?" With the immediateness of her follow up question, I take this to mean that one of my next priorities is installing some sort of step for her and the kids.

That's what is known as a "hint" :D

How about a nice, sturdy, rock slider style with integrated electric step, like these https://www.rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider/ but van sized and MG Metal works awesomeness.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Now THAT is a van!! Such an even lift front to back, just the right height to look mean and take care of business. :clapsmile

DudeAbides

Observer
I know I pm'd you a few weeks ago with this suggestion for 4x4 conversion parts options to consider making but found a pic now to go with it. The spacers like quigley uses to keep from having to change the output shaft on the 4 speeds look fairly simple and nobody is currently offering them for sale to DIYers!

8cf965c7e6f142eae029e12f99ab3f68.jpg

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Oh Yeah! 3D printer for the shop!

I lost my last printer when I left the corporate machine so I picked up a bigger/better model to use on several upcoming projects. These things are hella useful for testing out ideas. Already have a new product idea printing on the machine as I type. :sombrero:.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Excellent choice!!! Best one out there in that price bracket. I've been eyeballing the M200 when mine finally kicks the bucket.

SG

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Excellent choice!!! Best one out there in that price bracket. I've been eyeballing the M200 when mine finally kicks the bucket.

SG

Thank you sir! I'm liking it so far. It is definitely well built and solid! The print quality is pretty darn good too. I had a feeling you'd be one of the first to respond to that post. :)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Got the van up on the rack today for some fine tunin' (special thanks to Jeremy and his shop Matrix Integrated for letting me take up every inch of space on their alignment rack). :)

Guess what? The suspension geometry was exactly where I expected it to be! Only had to change the toe a tad and straighten the steering wheel. The axle came from Quadvan's original alignment with 2 deg (in the wrong direction) caster bushings. Measured out today at 3.5 deg caster. So with a factory installed 0 degree bushing, I'd have 5.5 deg (exactly what I designed for). I want to drive for a while with 3.5 deg caster and see how it works. Then at some point I'll put in a zero deg bushing and compare. It already drives much better than when it was a Quadvan (with 1.5 deg of caster).

Getting very close to having this radius arm axle installation kit dialed in and ready for sale.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Very cool, congrats. That seems like a fantastic solution that won't break the bank. I'm glad to see a suspension manufacturer paying attention to caster, too many people ignore that!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Approximately 3+" up from where it was. That includes the change in tire diameter.

Went from 265/70-17 to 285/75-18 (31" to 35")

Awesome to see this coming along so well. Best of luck in your new venture.

Sorry Chris... This is moving to the top of my list... For 4wd conversion options. I'd like to keep my 8'3" rig from becoming a 9' tall one. That said, you'll have all the bugs long worked out before I'll convince myself I need 4WD on this rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online