MG Metalworks Van Build

spearwarrior

Observer
Got the van up on the rack today for some fine tunin' (special thanks to Jeremy and his shop Matrix Integrated for letting me take up every inch of space on their alignment rack). :)

Guess what? The suspension geometry was exactly where I expected it to be! Only had to change the toe a tad and straighten the steering wheel. The axle came from Quadvan's original alignment with 2 deg (in the wrong direction) caster bushings. Measured out today at 3.5 deg caster. So with a factory installed 0 degree bushing, I'd have 5.5 deg (exactly what I designed for). I want to drive for a while with 3.5 deg caster and see how it works. Then at some point I'll put in a zero deg bushing and compare. It already drives much better than when it was a Quadvan (with 1.5 deg of caster).

Getting very close to having this radius arm axle installation kit dialed in and ready for sale.

Is welding required to install the kit?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Is welding required to install the kit?

To install the front axle, nope... Just some holes to drill. I went to Home Depot and got a cheap/basic right angle drill and with that, a Harbor Freight step bit (pilot hole first with small drill...HF again) and some good cutting fluid (this is important), I drilled both sides in ~20min. I think the hardest part of this process will be replacing the Pitman arm and only because those things seem to be on the steering gear with superman forces.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
MG what years will your kit fit? What parts do you think would have to be owner sourced save a front axle? What parts do you plan to include with your kit? Is it going to be necessary to cut the front crossmember for the front diff? Do you think one would be able to fit 37"s with your current setup with a little fender opening?

And lastly, as usual, NICE JOB!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
MG what years will your kit fit?

As far as I know, will fit '92-up. The frames are the same shape but minor changes through the years that don't affect the areas I'm working with.

What parts do you think would have to be owner sourced save a front axle? What parts do you plan to include with your kit?

You'll want to find a front end with the radius arms. Will likely have to purchase some coils and some odds and ends.

The kit will likely include:
Radius arm mounts
trac bar mount
sway bar mounts and end links
spring perches/shock mounts
hardware kit

There may be more included in the future....still trying to get sort out the details of sourcing parts.

Is it going to be necessary to cut the front crossmember for the front diff?

It will be necessary to cut the front lip of the cross member but not the rear lip.

Do you think one would be able to fit 37"s with your current setup with a little fender opening?

For every day driving, 37's might fit ok with fender trimming as it is now. might have to put a spacer under the spring to get just a little more clearance though if you're going to get rough with it.

And lastly, as usual, NICE JOB!

Thanks!!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
With all the other excitement goin' on, I bet you guys had forgotten about the little Cummins installation project huh?

Van is now almost completely gutted...

guess what this means?

Time for the body to come off and the Cummins to go in!!! It has to remain driveable for 4 more days but after that it's GO TIME

The good news is that I don't have a day job any more to get in the way so progress will be swift. Who's ready for a fun summer?!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I'm ready for the 100' slalom at 50mph test. Add that to your list of 1000000 things to do ;)

I bet it does well! I got a chance to drive this van last week, it felt very stable and tracked very well. It definitely felt better than my buddy's f350 on 6" lift with 35s.

Excited to see this build continue!

Jsweezy

Explorer
I bet it does well! I got a chance to drive this van last week, it felt very stable and tracked very well. It definitely felt better than my buddy's f350 on 6" lift with 35s.

Excited to see this build continue!

I second this statement (even though I didn't get to drive it). It reminded me a lot of my 2011 F250 I had with a Carli Leveling kit that included spring and shock upgrades. If your looking for a solid DIY 4x4 conversion that includes bigger brakes and is RSC compatible, I don't think you can do much better than this kit.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
With all the other excitement goin' on, I bet you guys had forgotten about the little Cummins installation project huh?

Hardly. You are the king of teasing with this engine swap. All the suspension work was just a diversion to keep us hanging on.

I bet you have it running on the street by the end of June.

Get it rolling!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman

Members online