MG Metalworks Van Build

Benjamin74

Beautiful work Michael. Question, I looked back through the thread and did not see if you quoted a $ figure or timeline for a product run on your suspension setup, I'm overly interested and will be looking to make a decision on my 4x4 setup soon.

Cheers,

Ben

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Beautiful work Michael. Question, I looked back through the thread and did not see if you quoted a $ figure or timeline for a product run on your suspension setup, I'm overly interested and will be looking to make a decision on my 4x4 setup soon.

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks! A price is still to be determined but the timeline is very soon. I'll start making parts in July for sure. I just finished all of the detailing and design drawings for production so I'm really close. I have a few sets in process now to test out parts of the supply chain.

Last edited:
When using the bellhousing adapter, do you have to use a spacer the same thickness for the flexplate? Where do you add the distance, between crank and flex plate or between flex plate and torque converter? Also what about starter alignment if you move the flex plate?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
When using the bellhousing adapter, do you have to use a spacer the same thickness for the flexplate? Where do you add the distance, between crank and flex plate or between flex plate and torque converter? Also what about starter alignment if you move the flex plate?

This adapter configuration retains the stock Chrysler flex plate and starter. An adapter ring and nose cone sleeve go onto the torque converter. Like this:

The old cast aluminum bellhousing adapter is in the picture. Really low quality casting, that's why I designed my own adapter and had it CNC'd.

The issue I have with the adapter plates the other guys use is that (among other technical reasons) it forces you to put the starter under the turbo. There's little access on that side and the turbo would keep the starter plenty warm. On the drivers side, things are wide open.

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
As part of prepping the engine to set down into the frame, today I worked on A/C and heater hose routing and fuel line routing on the engine. As if it were made to be, the van's original heater hoses can be used and they're all very close to the same routing on the Cummins as they were on the 5.4L. Awesome for a couple reasons... 1) nothing custom about the hoses, they're off the shelf parts and my originals are in perfect shape. and 2) There's finally something about this swap that I don't have to spend any money on! WOO HOO!!

The fuel line has been fabricated and relocates the connection to the rear of the block right next to the return line (much easier routing to the frame now). The hard lines will go quick along the frame because it's a pretty straight shot, just a couple jogs to make in each line.

A/C lines will be relatively easy. Just need take half the Ford hose and half the Ram hose and couple them together. Routing will be identical to the van.

One of the last things I'll do is the wiring. Why? Well because it is freakin' complicated and I want focus when I do it. If I have all of these other items completed and checked off the list before I get to the wiring, I'll have more brain space opened up during the hardest part of the swap. I have things pretty well figured out, tons of notes, pages of diagrams and a spreadsheet with circuit descriptions and connections but it's still dozens of wire connections to make. I'm looking forward to conquering the challenge.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Ok. I'm on vacation now awaiting the arrival of my son. Feel free to post updates several times per day...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online