MG Metalworks Van Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Do you believe that the 6.7 swap will eventually be a possibility on older style vans?

It is possible. An older 6.7L was put into a '07 van by Destroked. They fit great in every dimension except the front. The older style front ends don't have as much room to play with as '08+ vans but if you're clever you can stuff everything in there.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Completely unrelated to the van build, but I'm working on my charcoal cooking skills on your aluminum BBQ tonight. I get tons of questions any time I use it somewhere so I'm trying to make my stuff look better. ;)

Jeremy you oughta pitch this BBQ to Gretchen and Taylor for their rental. ;)

Petrolburner

Explorer
So you're completely ditching the stock tank and going with the rear mounted 55 gal tank instead? Are you using the stock gas tank location for installing other stuff?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
So you're completely ditching the stock tank and going with the rear mounted 55 gal tank instead? Are you using the stock gas tank location for installing other stuff?

Yes. Stock tank is gone. One reason is that I have to move the Cummins closer to centerline (remember the crankshaft center is offset to the passenger side by 2.75" on these vans ). That puts the t-case and drive line a little too close to the stock tank. The other reason is for balancing out the van a bit better. The Cummins/Allison is pretty heavy so I'm trying to distribute weight differently than the stock van. I'll likely put something in place of the stock tank. One thing I know for sure that is going there is my trans cooler. I may put the air compressor there too.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The great cross member rebuild of 2016...that's the project for this weekend. So glad I have a spare frame parked alongside the shop to rob parts off of (or cut sections out of). :)

I started with this on the back side of the engine cross member:

and after a little cutting, grinding, welding, more grinding and sanding, we have this:

Now the front side... before:

And now about 50% complete (lots of holes to fill and a flange to build):

I ordered a bunch of laser cutting including parts to reinforce the cross member and gusset the areas where the engine mounts will go. Should have all this wrapped up by mid-week. Good thing too because my custom bellhousing adapter ring is just finishing up at the CNC shop so I'll be ready to drop in the engine and trans very soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk